Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Ten years in the making - Power Steering update

  1. #21
    VCVC Charter Member Vanner68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Eastpointe MI USA
    Posts
    13,380
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that jack setup, is that part of the lift or something you made?
    Gregg Groff


    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

    1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

    1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

  2. #22
    VCVC Member joyrde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lodi, Ohio USA
    Posts
    2,836
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    I like that jack setup, is that part of the lift or something you made?
    short story long - - - - about 10m years ago, my body got to a point where I could not get up and down of a creeper anymore- The wife decided I should have lift

    This is the lift, which I assembled by myself https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/A...rage-Pro-8-000

    and the sliding jack - https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/A...5-Sliding-Jack

    both units were about 30% cheaper when I bought them -

    I now sit in an old Office chair for 90% of any vehicle work - - - including under the vehicle - - - except the Van (too tall), when working under the Van, I sit on a creeper

    Seriously - - - best $$$ ever spent for working on vehiclesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	4-101_1765.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	38206
    Last edited by joyrde; 12-26-2018 at 07:43 AM.

  3. #23
    VCVC Charter Member Vanner68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Eastpointe MI USA
    Posts
    13,380
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joyrde View Post
    short story long - - - - about 10m years ago, my body got to a point where I could not get up and down of a creeper anymore- The wife decided I should have lift

    This is the lift, which I assembled by myself https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/A...rage-Pro-8-000

    and the sliding jack - https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/A...5-Sliding-Jack

    both units were about 30% cheaper when I bought them -

    I now sit in an old Office chair for 90% of any vehicle work - - - including under the vehicle - - - except the Van (too tall), when working under the Van, I sit on a creeper

    Seriously - - - best $$$ ever spent for working on vehicles
    I'm looking to have a pole barn built at the new house, I need to get a lift. I prefer the inherent stability of the 4 post over a 2 post, but you couldn't pull the wheels on a 4 post. Or, so I thought....

    I too am getting to the point where I spend more time making noises preparing to get up than I actually spend in the process of getting up.
    Gregg Groff


    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

    1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

    1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

  4. #24
    VCVC Member joyrde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lodi, Ohio USA
    Posts
    2,836
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    I'm looking to have a pole barn built at the new house, I need to get a lift. I prefer the inherent stability of the 4 post over a 2 post, but you couldn't pull the wheels on a 4 post. Or, so I thought....

    I too am getting to the point where I spend more time making noises preparing to get up than I actually spend in the process of getting up.
    I wish I had bought two sliding jacks. To pull all four wheels I use the jack on one end, And a bottle jack/jack stands for the other end.

    I maintain two toys and one car. I just can;t pull the trigger for a second sliding jack. The Van and Coupe have "big & littles" front and back, so the tires are only rotated side-to-side. The only time I need all four wheels up is rotating the wheels on our personal car. The time it takes to get four wheels off the ground just is not worth the $$$$ for a second sliding jack - - especially at my age.

    My garage only has a 10' ceiling. The lift has never been up all the way with a vehicle on it. The lift goes high enough to roll atond in my Office Chair

  5. #25
    VCVC Charter Member Vanner68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Eastpointe MI USA
    Posts
    13,380
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I sell the old house, I will be using some of that for the pole barn. New house has a 24x32 garage, probably going 24x40 for the pole barn with 16' walls.

    I want to be able to get completely underneath the van while standing.
    Gregg Groff


    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

    1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

    1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

  6. #26
    VCVC Member joyrde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lodi, Ohio USA
    Posts
    2,836
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joyrde View Post
    Update: All is ready for engine start and testing - - - - dead battery - - - lol

    After Christmas
    Got back to the garage - - - charged the battery - - - started the engine - - - cycled the power steering - - - topped off the PS Pump - - - recycled - - - adjusted the power piston - - - - lowered the Lift Jack (tires on Lift Ramps)- - - turned the steering wheel through full rotation, several times - - - no leaks, no hesitation - - - damn near one finger

    I will road test it some time in March or April, after all the road salt is GONE.

    I will up date the PS Website as time allows. - - - http://www.angelfire.com/wv/joyrde/v...rsteering.html

    As with many other PS Installs - - - I have several hundred hours in this. Even with rebuilding the Control Valve and Slave Cylinder, there is at least $600.00 - $800.00 spent on the complete install
    Last edited by joyrde; 12-27-2018 at 05:07 PM.

  7. #27
    VCVC Member Space Truckin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Upland,Ca
    Posts
    1,541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Well freekin done...

    Quote Originally Posted by joyrde View Post
    Got back to the garage - - - charged the battery - - - started the engine - - - cycled the power steering - - - topped off the PS Pump - - - recycled - - - adjusted the power piston - - - - lowered the Lift Jack (tires on Lift Ramps)- - - turned the steering wheel through full rotation, several times - - - no leaks, no hesitation - - - damn near one finger

    I will up date the PS Website as time allows.
    Great work Joyrde...woohoo. What/ where is the PS website you are going to update to?
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space..JM2C...hehehe
    Steve

    1967 Chevy 90 "Space Truckin"
    350 SBC 260hp/ 350tq, MSD HEI, Holley 4150, Sanderson Block Hugger Headers, BowTie 700R4, 3:36 posi

    1973 Chevy 110 "Orange Bang" w emphasis on the BANG :-)
    383 Stroker 440hp/ 480tq, MSD 6AL/ HEI, FiTech, Hooker Full length Headers, BowTie 700R4, 3:73/ Eaton Truetrac, "Cruiseaire" Original

  8. #28
    VCVC Member joyrde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lodi, Ohio USA
    Posts
    2,836
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Truckin View Post
    Great work Joyrde...woohoo. What/ where is the PS website you are going to update to?

    http://www.angelfire.com/wv/joyrde/v...rsteering.html

  9. #29
    VCVC Member joyrde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lodi, Ohio USA
    Posts
    2,836
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warm, sunny day in Ohio - 40 LOL

    I backed the Van out - manuvered around the concrete driveway apron. Did a little parallel parking. Although the steering seemed tight (normal) all seemed fine - - no leask, no PS/belt noises - - - Damn near one fingering.

    I installed a "slow flow" fluid control valve. If I hadn't I imagine the steering would would feel like a '60's Caddy I will road test the Van when the salt is off the roads in the Spring.

    I will also update the Power Steering website, as time allows.

    On to installing the Rear Sway Bar.
    Last edited by joyrde; 12-30-2018 at 08:03 PM.

  10. #30
    VCVC Member joyrde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lodi, Ohio USA
    Posts
    2,836
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joyrde View Post
    I will also update the Power Steering website, as time allows.
    Road Test results in the Spring

    UPDATED Power Steering Retro-Fit website - - - http://www.angelfire.com/wv/joyrde/vanstuff/steering/vanpowersteering2019.html


    Last edited by joyrde; 01-02-2019 at 07:53 PM.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •