Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And then it all came to a screeching halt....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And then it all came to a screeching halt....

Been on a roll, moved up to programmer at my job, got a new house in the country-ish, things looking good..... then Friday, I got fired from my job. I was programming, but also taking care of service calls for controls, on the road a little bit yet, several big programming projects going on at the same time and quite frankly, I couldn't keep up. A big customer came in for a runoff, and my program shit the bed big time. I had been telling the bosses I can't do this much at once, but they kept telling me how smart I am and they knew I could do it.

I have been hearing that line my whole life. Yes, I can learn things quickly, and I can solve problems well, but I work best in a linear fashion. Left to my own devices, I get easily distracted and end up overwhelmed and do nothing. This is why it takes me years to complete my vans, I can't stay on it without something kicking in the ass to keep going.

I used to get the line in school "You could be an all A student if you just applied yourself"... but I was already applying myself as best as I could. I just can't do more than one thing at a time. I think I got good at troubleshooting simply because I can't remember where I left off, so I would start over.

So, I'm taking a little time to myself. Probably going to torpedo my credit rating again since I need to concentrate on the bare essentials financially. It'll recover. I just need to figure out how to present myself in the job market, as there isn't really a big demand for guys 10 years away from retirement age.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Been on a roll, moved up to programmer at my job, got a new house in the country-ish, things looking good..... then Friday, I got fired from my job. I was programming, but also taking care of service calls for controls, on the road a little bit yet, several big programming projects going on at the same time and quite frankly, I couldn't keep up. A big customer came in for a runoff, and my program shit the bed big time. I had been telling the bosses I can't do this much at once, but they kept telling me how smart I am and they knew I could do it.

I have been hearing that line my whole life. Yes, I can learn things quickly, and I can solve problems well, but I work best in a linear fashion. Left to my own devices, I get easily distracted and end up overwhelmed and do nothing. This is why it takes me years to complete my vans, I can't stay on it without something kicking in the ass to keep going.

I used to get the line in school "You could be an all A student if you just applied yourself"... but I was already applying myself as best as I could. I just can't do more than one thing at a time. I think I got good at troubleshooting simply because I can't remember where I left off, so I would start over.

So, I'm taking a little time to myself. Probably going to torpedo my credit rating again since I need to concentrate on the bare essentials financially. It'll recover. I just need to figure out how to present myself in the job market, as there isn't really a big demand for guys 10 years away from retirement age.
    Man so sorry to hear that. I am sure with your ability you will find something soon maybe better. I dont think the age thing is that much of a issue anymore. It seems us old guys are better workers and more reliable. Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find your own clients start your own business. I did it years ago and can't believe it was so easy. I wish I had the guts to make the move earlier. Name your price make your own hours. It's just a matter of filing a name and applying for tax numbers. Sounds like it's something you can do at home. When I started I had to work just 10 hrs to make what I made for a week. Think about it! Just one more option. Good luck I hope it all works out for you.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And then it all came to a screeching halt....

I am sorry to hear that - wishing you the best & quickly
    Gary
    Gary
    1965 Display

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear this Gregg. Hope you get back on track soon!
    1970 Chevy Sportvan 90 - "Dazed and Confuzed II"
    Lakeville, MN

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well..

Gregg
    You're good at troubleshooting and that's what this new situation is for you, yes?
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I do hope everything turns around for you very quickly.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    35 ish years ago I was put on a 2 week lay off, told work load was low,6 years with this contractor, find out years later that I was laid off for opening my big mouth about working on junk heating equptiment at our office. Working for HVAC company, never been laid off before, put my name on the lay off list at the ,union local 777 pipe fitters of Ct., got a call 2 days later for an interview with Johnson Controls, took it, long story short , ended up opening up own business with a co worker, 20 years later retired from that partnership, shit happens for a reason , sometimes we never know why. If you a trouble shooter,you will always be in demand.I did service work for almost 40 years always a demand for you. Good luck ,I'd still be working if it wasn't for f***ing prostate cancer Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in that position years ago and decided that i would never allow someone to be in charge of my destiny...37 years later still self employed. Does take discipline and motivation but you weep the benefits not someone else!
    1968 Chevy 90 250/700r/Fuel Injected - sold and missed
    1966 Chevy handyvan 350/auto (work in progress)
    1965 GMC 350/auto ( just had to have )

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not have the head for running a business.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

User Tag List