Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And then it all came to a screeching halt....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure you do. After I left government employ in 2000, then lost my retirement money due to the bad ecomomy, I started my own consulting business even though I didn't think I could being lousy at setting my fees and asking people for money. However, being my own boss, with total freedom to set my own hours and not answering to anybody has been wonderful. We can go RV'ing whenever we want cause I can do my consulting by computer, email and cell phone. Made over $100,000 last year (had to split it with my kid tho).

Also, I'm the same way being able only to concentrate on one task at a time. It drives me nuts when the phone rings (and its been ringing a lot lately) cause it breaks my concentration and takes me forever to get back to the original task. Figure out what you are really good at, come up with a business plan (there are small business help groups) and take the step. Scary as he!! at first, but anything new is. Right now you're down and discouraged, so give yourself some time to let it sink in, then figure out how to climb out. New business don't always work out the first time, so you may have to start over, but you have learned some things about being in business.

Now a question to take your mind off your bad day. I logged on just now to ask you an HHR question then saw this thread which I was so sorry to read. Anyway, I've had trouble with pulsating front brakes from day one. I had the original rotors turned, but that didn't last long. So got a couple of new Chinese rotors from NAPA, and now they are starting to pulsate. I figure I need to get some genuine GM rotors. RockAuto has ACDelco coated rotors for $26.00 apiece. is this the right way to go????
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lvjjj View Post
    Sure you do. After I left government employ in 2000, then lost my retirement money due to the bad ecomomy, I started my own consulting business even though I didn't think I could being lousy at setting my fees and asking people for money. However, being my own boss, with total freedom to set my own hours and not answering to anybody has been wonderful. We can go RV'ing whenever we want cause I can do my consulting by computer, email and cell phone. Made over $100,000 last year (had to split it with my kid tho).

Also, I'm the same way being able only to concentrate on one task at a time. It drives me nuts when the phone rings (and its been ringing a lot lately) cause it breaks my concentration and takes me forever to get back to the original task. Figure out what you are really good at, come up with a business plan (there are small business help groups) and take the step. Scary as he!! at first, but anything new is. Right now you're down and discouraged, so give yourself some time to let it sink in, then figure out how to climb out. New business don't always work out the first time, so you may have to start over, but you have learned some things about being in business.

Now a question to take your mind off your bad day. I logged on just now to ask you an HHR question then saw this thread which I was so sorry to read. Anyway, I've had trouble with pulsating front brakes from day one. I had the original rotors turned, but that didn't last long. So got a couple of new Chinese rotors from NAPA, and now they are starting to pulsate. I figure I need to get some genuine GM rotors. RockAuto has ACDelco coated rotors for $26.00 apiece. is this the right way to go????
    I agree , I think Greg can do it. As far as the brakes ,get the ones with holes in them it helps keep the heat build down that causes them to warp.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

It is all a part of working for somebody else.
    They will use you until they are done with you.Then see you later alligator.
    File for unemployment.you should have been paying into it for years.
    You might have a wait period before your first check comes in how ever.don't be too proud to file.
    Our unemployment office also has job banks that have companies looking for people.
    I found a pretty good job working through this method.

It is not the end of the world.Just a minor set back.
    Good luck on your new adventure...

Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lvjjj View Post

I had the same issue. The rotors are at minimum thickness from the factory, and to be honest, are garbage. Get the Delco branded rotors, or if you want to spend big bucks, I've heard that the ones from Stainless Steel Brake Co. (SSBC) are really good, but at over $100 each they were a bit rich for my blood. The ones with the holes in them aren't any better, they are just too thin by design. Here's how to make them last longer before they warp:

When you install the wheels, use a torque wrench and torque the lugs to the spec in the owners manual. Re-check lug torque every oil change.

Try to avoid hard stops, or riding the brakes. If driving in hill country, downshift to a lower gear. This will keep from heating the brakes as much.

Replace the rotors with the pads. Yes, the rotors are a consumable by design, most newer cars are the same way.

Accept the fact that they will probably warp anyway, but at least the above will make them last longer before they do.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookee View Post
    It is all a part of working for somebody else.
    They will use you until they are done with you.Then see you later alligator.
    File for unemployment.you should have been paying into it for years.
    You might have a wait period before your first check comes in how ever.don't be too proud to file.
    Our unemployment office also has job banks that have companies looking for people.
    I found a pretty good job working through this method.

It is not the end of the world.Just a minor set back.
    Good luck on your new adventure...

I applied the same day I was canned. I R not dumb, lol.

There's quite a few job openings in my area that would be a good fit, hoping I hear back.

As far as running the show.... well, I tried that and it failed spectacularly, costing two good guys their livelihood. I took over a running television shop and ran it into the ground within 6 months.

I have problems dealing with people. Too many people and I get a mild panic attack, and pretty much shut down. If I can pass them off to somebody else, I can recover fairly quickly, but when I am the end of the line... it's too much. It hit me hard last year at the CofC, I ended up retreating to my room a lot- even though everyone their is basically family. It's why I don't often go to the bands at van runs. Really, van events are about the only crowded events where I can function because I know that everyone their is a friend.

My panic attacks are basically just overstimulation, I don't wig out, or throw punches or stuff like that, I just go in a quiet corner and chill. Not the type of thing you can do in customer service.
    Gregg Groff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V68, thanks for your response on the rotors, I'll get the Delco's. I took my Suburban to a mechanic who taught tune up and repair at the GM truck factory so he knows GM. The Burb wasn't running real good even though I had replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor, from NAPA. He said throw away that Chinese junk and get only GM ACDelco parts. So I did and it is amazing how much better it runs and has a lot more power. Didn't help gas mileage cause my foot rides too close to the floor.

Now, your job. I under stand the panic with crowds. I hate crowds and will avoid them if I can. Never been to any big concerts, too many people. Odd thing is, is that since I'm a musician I avoid the crowds by being on stage playing for them. During breaks and afterwards I disappear. Does sound like you do do better working for someone. Try to lay out to them how you work best so they understand your quirks from day one. And the first time they lay more work on you, either tell them you just can't do it, or to pay you more money. Be up front, and I know that's hard, I hate confrontations which it will be to an extent. Most bosses need to know where you stand, otherwise they assume you are superman. Best of luck, it always works out and could be better. Sorry if I hijacked you thread.
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, glad to help and thanks for the support!
    Gregg Groff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Being good at what I do landed me in a foreman position.
    I hated it.While I knew what needed to be done in the shop I was working.
    I just have problems delegating responsibilities to the workers who work under me.
    Being honest also does not help matters.
    The company I worked for had a guy at another location who they made out to be a great foreman.
    They used to use him as an example when my work quotas did not come to what they wanted.
    I found out later that this great foreman they had,was cooking his books.Giving them false information.
    He cost the company a very large account because of this.
    At least the jobs that came out of my shop where done correctly and my paper work was honest.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an interview tomorrow at Mueller Brass, actually top of the list of places I would like to work. Union shop, 12 hour shifts, 4 days on- 4 days off. They even have a pension!
    Gregg Groff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, after two interviews and a plant tour, I was hired by Mueller Brass. I go next week for the obligatory 'one guy, one cup' and for 30 days I work 8 hour shifts at 'B' wage, then go to 4 12's and full wage!
    Gregg Groff

User Tag List