Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any advice on paint guns?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any advice on paint guns?

always bought cheap guns because I don't use it often enough to justify top shelf. the down side is using more paint to get a nice finish, bigger chance of runs, orange peel and pattern/tiger stripes. this all leads to more wet sanding and in extreme cases, adding yet another coat. usually I toss the gun in the parts bin and grab another harbor freight purple gun when I have issues. I can buy a pallet full of them for the cost of the sata so it was more practical for limited use to go cheap. a dozen cheap guns later, thinking of spending a bit more. trying to buy in the $150.00 range but would consider more. I am looking at sharp finex, warwick 904, develbiss finish line, iwata air gunsi and astro euro. anyone have experience with these guns or recommend another? all have good reviews/forum posts but not sure which fits my needs best. while I average one full car per year, I paint enough panels to equal 2 or 3 more. fast is NOT my main concern. better atomization and pattern are key with better quality/still working decent in a year also on my list. I am leaning towards the astro but not because it is the cheapest, 2 guns, lvlp and hvlp for 200. the rest are about $150 each and $200 for the develbiss. IF any of the others are better, I have no issue paying more for it. what advantage would I have "if" I stretched the budget to $250.00?
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use cheap guns also, I started my recent paint job with a brand new one out of the box but couldn't get it to fan the way I wanted. I ended up using the one I've been spraying primer and sealer with because I know it was working well. Paint came out nice. As you know, the amount being sprayed on is the key and watching how it flows and dries, Type of hardener and weather, temp are also big factors.
    I bought a hvlp gun a couple of years ago and didn't like it at all, good for small jobs like bike tanks and fenders but I went back to regular cheap guns because that's what I'm used to.
    I don't feel so bad about throwing out a $20 gun when it stops working instead of trying to keep an expensive gun clean and working.
    1966 Sportvan Deluxe 230 3 on tree (work in progress) Now 283 small block
    1965 Sportvan Deluxe 250 powerglide (Sold)
    1965 Chevy Van Panel (Project)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be buying my first paint sprayer soon. I am considering the Eastwood concours combo kit...its a 1, 2 or 3 gun kit...the 3 gun kit is $350 ish...anybody have any thoughts on that setup? Its looking like under $600.00 to get everything Ill need to get started priming...The guys at the Eastwood store are very knowledgeable, they actually restore vehicles in store with the equipment and supplies they sell. They never try to hard sell me on anything, as opposed to other supply stores Ive been to, that have no usefull knowledge about the tools they sell.
    68 108 panel parts donor
    69 108 sportvan deluxe 350 4bbl 700R4 3:36 posi
    68 108 sportvan custom 350 4bbl 700R4

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use a Sharpe Cobalt 5814L that my brother gave me decades ago. Admittedly, I was too scared of messing something up, so it stayed in the box until 2014. I've never used an Iwata or Sata gun, but I can tell you that the Sharpe is lightyears ahead of the harbor freight gun in all aspects. However, I do have a purple Harbor Freight gun that I used for spraying flake. It has a 1.5mm tip, which allows the flake to pass through. You never get every single piece of flake out of a gun either, so I keep it for that purpose.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hadn't really considered the eastwood concours. what little I have read on it was good. I could not find the cobalt 5814 but am lead to believe sharpe finex is the one to have from them. ya, all the posts on any of the guns claim better than harbor freight but not a sata. had many chances to borrow better guns but wouldn't as i am hard on tools. partially why I kept the budget lower. skill level and painting conditions are probably a bigger issue. harbor freight was easy, only one choice. now it isnt just tip size but hvlp, lvlp or conventinal?
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used an old DeVilbiss siphon gun to paint the 87 I had. It came out ok even though I am probably the worst painter on the planet. Look for used paint equipment on C-list or in pawn shops.

BTW, the paint was rustoleum in the gallon can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b2bupaint12.jpg   imag0004.jpg   imag0005-1.jpg   p1010014.jpg  
    Last edited by Vanner68; 03-10-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    I used an old DeVilbiss siphon gun to paint the 87 I had. It came out ok even though I am probably the worst painter on the planet. Look for used paint equipment on C-list or in pawn shops.

BTW, the paint was rustoleum in the gallon can.
    my van is painted with rustoleum. I thinned it with acetone and sprayed it with a $15.00 harbor freight gun. perfect paint job until the bugs landed in the wet paint. HUNDREDS of nats! they buffed out fine.
    not really wanting someone elses wore out gun, I have plenty. will buy new from a reputable dealer, ebay is full of 'fake' counterfeit guns. painted 2 fenders, bumper and lower half of a rav4 2 weeks ago and gun wasn't cooperating (after I mixed the paint) so I shot it with my touch up gun. although slower, it went on nice and no orange peel. this is what got me thinking a better gun could save me a ton of wet sanding before buffing. the same clear on my truck bed needed 400 grit and still didn't get it all. really not wanting to paint the rest of the truck with a touch up gun and i am done buying no name guns. any of the $150.00 guns will be an improvement and a $500.00 gun wont make a pro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1459212766117 (1).jpg  

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an HVLP gun from Eastwood. I think it was one their "Concours" guns, but was reasonably priced. Came with three different size tips. Used it to paint a '69 Cougar. Sprayed high build primer, sealer primer, basecoat, and clear coat. The gun worked great. I still had some amount of orange peel. Seems like that is the curse of modern paints. I used high end Dupont Chromabase paint and clear coat for this. Orange peel was worse on side panels than on the roof, hood, etc. Spent a bunch of days with 1500 and 2000 grit, and then a buffer. Ended up with a near show quality paint job. Will be doing the same thing with my '65 van in a few months.

Not sure if the gun made a huge difference. I am a novice at this. I bet an experienced painter could get a good finish with a low cost gun.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madillow View Post

Not sure if the gun made a huge difference. I am a novice at this. I bet an experienced painter could get a good finish with a low cost gun.
    several of the reviews on mid range guns said 'almost' as nice a finish 'in the right hands'. some were slower so not the best for 40 hours/week and some a bit harder to adjust correctly. not being 'in the right hands', slower is probably a plus. most of the cheap guns I had could be adjusted enough to be usable but certainly not ideal, fine mist is usually closer to small droplets splattered on evenly! heavy on reducer helps a little. the HF guns aren't bad new but don't last. patterns/tiger strips start to develop, air requirements increase and biggest complaint is the large droplets instead of a fine mist. painted this with a $40.00 touch up gun having a 1.0 tip. wet sanded and buffed where the new paint met the old yesterday and buffed only, no wet sanding on a small area and think I can skip most of the sanding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190206_170222.jpg   1549754900637.jpg   20190209_182831.jpg  
    Last edited by jrinaman; 03-11-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a pair of devillibis sold in a kit from oriellys was about
    230.00 been using them for base coat clear coat and one gun has
    a larger tip for primer both are gravity guns with aluminum cups,
    worth the money
    54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
    64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
    69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

User Tag List