Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vanners are not like other car guys

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vanners are not like other car guys

I knew before I even bought the van that vanners help other vanners. when I was on the fence, a van or another jag, I asked on forums about what to get. what years had what options, etc. both here and VV bent over backwards explaining the differences that non vanners don't even notice (is that a vw bus?) while the jag site told me 'why should we do all the work while you have the all the fun?" then offered to sell me a book! fast forward almost a decade and I am clearing out all the jag stuff. laid out a truck load of parts of unknown value, took a dozen pics and posted on forum with "what's worth saving, what goes in dumpster" and within 1 minute, I was called out for trying to sell on the forum and good luck spending 10 years on ebay with your parts. now a vanner would tell you what is being repopped, what is rare and what is of low value but worth keeping as a spare. somebody would take the entire pile before letting me toss it in the dumpster. they are still going off over there and most of these parts are filling the dumpster in the morning. just imagine chrome bumpers with surface rust, auto columns with indicators and deluxe horn rings all getting tossed. I have 2 more truck loads but most of that will go straight to epay while my jag forum bodies of 15+ years wont even know I listed them.
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Car purists are the worst. If you put a Chevy engine in that Jag, you're going to be treated like you violated their mothers.

There is very little that rankles vanners, flipping for huge profit is one. Jason (vanfool) took a LOT of heat for that early on, but in reality he only made a few hundred if anything on most of the vans. Some he even lost money on.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold my vette because of that! I painted the rallie wheels black to match the car, looked sharp. got tired of being told silver was correct. was into gto's but that was before it got bad. even then, throw away parts were still sold, never given away. the jag site was over run with sellers before they banned it. any post about fixing anything was quickly bombarded with offers to sell you stuff. what is the correct timing? = I have a freshly rebuilt motor I can ship today. took me a long time to not cringe when members sell here but none of them are pushing a hard sell or getting rich, their just helping other vanners. I have given away and received more free stuff than I bought and sold on here. I don't think the jag guys got my intent. its free, come get it! that reminds me, found that camper heater I offered you a while back, actually, I found two.
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar experience with the VW Bus guys, 25 years ago we were helping each other keep them running, finding and trading parts and hanging out together camping, going to shows etc. I met some good people and are still friends with a lot of them.
    Now the VW Bus crowd is more about "I got it, you want it, how much are you willing to pay for it"
    1966 Sportvan Deluxe 230 3 on tree (work in progress) Now 283 small block
    1965 Sportvan Deluxe 250 powerglide (Sold)
    1965 Chevy Van Panel (Project)

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed

If we ever get like those Jag, Vette or VW guys as described then I'm sure many VCVanners will surely head for the door. Personally, I struggle with the whole parts pricing and selling thing. There's just not enough volume of trade on most of our items to establish an agreed upon range of price. Some just pay whatever you ask while others balk at what I would consider a good deal. I don't get offended but more importantly I don't want to offend. I love to get enthusiastic about others with their build but don't want to get emotional about the price of a part. Actually, I would love to at least just break even on some items just to be able to keep on going out there and harvesting parts when they become available. I've missed a few good ones because they are too far away and would require taking too much time off work and cost too much to haul it back. I've grabbed a few VCVans with that 4 cylinder Ranger and tow dolly but it has cost me three clutch jobs in about as many years. That poor Ranger. I really kick it in the butt when I've got my hooks into a VCVan and I'm focused on pulling it out of a spot it's been sitting in for years. Once in a while I can just take the trailer and part it out on site. That usually works out OK. So I stack up parts and vans in the hope of getting to them someday in retirement. In the meantime I work on longer term projects that will give us repop options for parts that are near impossible to get. I've spent way too much on those types of projects but sometimes people building their vans need that critical piece. Rambling here but I do think we are different. I don't know how many times non-vanners have said that I am "different". Well that's OK, you either understand and live that 2% thing or just shake your head at it. This club is what we make it, let's keep making it better for each other.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legacy

There is a thread that runs thru vanners that connects us. Car guys have cars.
    You can turn a pos chevelle or nova into a sweet supersport big block...yada yada.
    There are tons of suppliers of reproduction parts.

Not so with our little niche. Good luck finding most anything from certain models that had production
    numbers in the thousands. Not in the 100s of thousands. Try turning a panel into a sporto. Lol!
    We have a common interest that has to reach to others.
    If not for parts and supplies but for the knowledge of most everything from tire sizes to wiring.

We owe it to ourselves to do something to save these fine examples of a by-gone era.
    The guys and gals on here that buy and sell parts can attest to the fact there arent too many but they arent too expensive.
    Anyone trying to remanufacture parts and pieces isnt going to get rich doing it.
    But youre making something that will preserve and prolong the eventuality.

From that I can say that a few surprises might be coming. Silly little things that will only mean something to the right folks.
    ...and only found here by the few of us,

Vintage Vanners.
    Mike

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my garage is full of misc. parts from different vehicles. some from parts cars, some I bought at swap meets because it was too cheep to not buy and some, I paid dearly for. when I let them go, most are free. if I will never use it, free to good home. if I will likely use it, closer to market value. I recently gave away n.o.s. truck vent visors that I bought just because I would rather see them used than collect dust on my shelves.(wont fit our vans)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinaman View Post
    I sold my vette because of that! I painted the rallie wheels black to match the car, looked sharp. got tired of being told silver was correct. was into gto's but that was before it got bad. even then, throw away parts were still sold, never given away. the jag site was over run with sellers before they banned it. any post about fixing anything was quickly bombarded with offers to sell you stuff. what is the correct timing? = I have a freshly rebuilt motor I can ship today. took me a long time to not cringe when members sell here but none of them are pushing a hard sell or getting rich, their just helping other vanners. I have given away and received more free stuff than I bought and sold on here. I don't think the jag guys got my intent. its free, come get it! that reminds me, found that camper heater I offered you a while back, actually, I found two.
    Next time we are likely to be in the same place, bring em along!
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with Jag stuff came from rebuilding the assembly I stuck under the 64. Called a Jag dealer for parts. He wouldn't sell anything to me because I didn't have the VIN# for the car. Said I may have stolen it. Funny , why would anybody steal a car that was likely worth 2K on the used car market.
    BTW John, do you still have any of the rear end pieces ? , I could use new or better bearings and bushes for the lower arms that hook to the pig.
    LOL
    64 Project,65 Driver,66 Parts sorta

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digz View Post
    My experience with Jag stuff came from rebuilding the assembly I stuck under the 64. Called a Jag dealer for parts. He wouldn't sell anything to me because I didn't have the VIN# for the car. Said I may have stolen it. Funny , why would anybody steal a car that was likely worth 2K on the used car market.
    BTW John, do you still have any of the rear end pieces ? , I could use new or better bearings and bushes for the lower arms that hook to the pig.
    LOL
    the xjs's really dropped in value. the maintenance didn't though. every little part is 5-10 times what a similar chevy
    part would be and ALWAYS 3 times as hard to change. it isn't about how much I get for the car, it is what I will save by not owning it! I do have a complete rear subframe (cage) with 3.54 open rear but hanging on to that until after the car goes. I have a 3.77 posi I once planned on setting up in that cage and swapping into car. if it doesn't go with the car, you can have the cage but the 3.77 posi would be $$$. I do have new still in box 4.10 'thick' gears that will fit your carrier. you can have those if you want them.

User Tag List