Thread: Carbs

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carbs

I have an Edelbrock manual choke 4 bbl and Edelbrock manifold on the 307 in my G20. Mileage is not great however seems better since I learned how to adjust the two air/idle mixture screws. Anyhow, since its so cold in the mornings here in Southern California, it takes a while to warm up and idle in the morning. By contrast, my G10 with 250 six banger and one bbl carb started up instantly this morning and idled with only having the choke on for about 3-5 seconds. So I was wondering, after a friend said an Edelbrock is the last carb he would buy, maybe I should return the set up to stock? This manifold and carb was on the bad motor when I got the van so I just transferred it onto the 307. Perhaps I should try and find a stock manifold/carb for better mileage and quality? Or - take it to Bob's Carbureators for diagnosis... Or - take it apart myself and put in a rebuild kit? Seafoam?? Gumout???? So many options....

Also, I can't see anything wrong externally but I can't pull on the choke cable unless the gas pedal is depressed all the way - maybe that is normal?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jetting could be off. edelbrocks use metering rods. less than $15 a pair.
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched a YouTube yesterday where a guy did a pretty good job showing how to take one apart and put back together with a rebuild kit, I think I can handle it. Maybe...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edelbrocks are easy to rebuild.

The original manifold and carb for your 307 would have been a rochestor 2 barrel. They work great, but are getting pretty hard to find.

My personal favorite is the quadrajet. They are excellent carbs when properly rebuilt, but they need to be correct for your application. Many people don't like them because they don't understand them or think they are too complicated to work on.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Certifiable Vanatic Leroy Jackson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 750cfm eddlebrock carb on my engine.

I never used the choke. In fact I removed it to free up some airflow.

You can can tune that carb to work well without needing a choke...even on cold days below freezing.
    The Raped Ape
    1970 G-20 Krylon black
    Swing up cargo doors
    Supercharged 383
    4L80E transmission
    Detroit trutrac rear limited slip

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carburetor Tuning

It's much more time consuming to tune and fine adjust a carburetor without at least a CO meter. This is not something most vanners have in their shop. An alternative is installing a wide band oxygen sensor. Less expensive but much more time consuming than that is reading the plugs. There's a lot to explain on these subjects. It's not really something easily explained in a short post. Improving fuel economy can be yet another long winded subject. Gosh, where to start?
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on type of Edelbrock carb you have, they are similar to the Quadrajet. The quadrajet I had on my 350 years ago worked great, they are old now and hard to find I think.(maybe still available)
    I have the Edelbrock 600 cfm on a 283 with mild cam, seems to work well. I have a friend who owns a shop in Kearny Mesa, (Acme Garage) He builds and tunes many Hot Rods etc. and knows more than I do about carbs and more. I took the Van to him and he did a rebuild, clean and adjust of my carb and put a HEI distributor in for me. Wasn't cheap but runs really well now.
    I like doing my own work but use professionals when needed. (I hate working on carbs)

I have a stock 4 barrel manifold off a 350 if you want it, what type of manifold do you have now? I have the Edelbrock Performer RPM, I like that carb and manifold together. I also have a "Torker" Manifold but was told they are better for top end, kinda rough at lower RPMs.
    307 are not known for gas economy, V8s in general are not good on gas without fuel injection and computer control.

If you have a few thousand dollars laying around buy a turn key engine from a reputable shop that knows what you want and will test run and tune before installing it.
    1966 Sportvan Deluxe 230 3 on tree (work in progress) Now 283 small block
    1965 Sportvan Deluxe 250 powerglide (Sold)
    1965 Chevy Van Panel (Project)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have the intake, carb and air filter box...
    68 108 panel parts donor
    69 108 sportvan deluxe 350 4bbl 700R4 3:36 posi
    68 108 sportvan custom 350 4bbl 700R4

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanSandy View Post

Also, I can't see anything wrong externally but I can't pull on the choke cable unless the gas pedal is depressed all the way - maybe that is normal?
    Something is wrong.. binding up somehow. Or possibly the cable is sticking You should be able to operate the choke without depressing the throttle.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

User Tag List