Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhaust configurations

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joyrde View Post
    Last thoughts - - - I am running block Huggers, and have been for 20+ years. The exhaust pipe is 2.5" al the way to the exit behind each back wheel. The mufflers are Magnaflow

As mentioned in an earlier post. if I were building the exhaust now, I would run cast iron manifolds with a 2.5" outlet. Cast iron run cooler and quieter. Their bolts also do not loosen up.

Unless you are running ove 4,000 rpms consistently, or drag racing headers are not worth running.

last thought, if you run the exhaust straight out the back, be sure the doors and windows are sealed tight - - - or the exhaust will leak in

My recommendation - - - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...make/chevrolet
    This is similar to what I did with another project. Did you run a crossover pipe. The 2.5" exhaust system in my 69 Cougar has an unpleasant resonance that I really want to avoid in the van. I even considered using the stock 2-to-1 configuration that was in the Tahoe I got the engine out of. But I don't want to use the catalytic converters and nobody sells the pipes without them.

Thanks for relating your experience with this!

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookee View Post
    On my crate 350.I ran a set of Hooker block hugger headers.

Attachment 39069

21/2 inch aluminized pipes over the rear and out the sides behind the rear wheels.
    The factory also ran there exhaust this way on 3rd gen vans to keep Vans with pop out rear windows from sucking in exhaust fumes.Bad rear door seals will also suck in fumes.

The tail pipes also give the Flow Master Twins a toned down nice rumble on a V/8 powered early...
    Late model engines also like a little back pressure...

Attachment 39068

This system is close to 12 years old now.
    Other than a blown out paper style header flange gasket.It has been a trouble free up grade.
    Gas mileage is in the 16 mpg range.....

Did you run a crossover pipe?

Certifiable Vanatic Leroy Jackson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running full length headers with angle plug heads going into 3 inch exhaust pipes with hooker max flow mufflers and dumped out the sides in front of the rear wheels. I have the pipes connected with an h pipe. I ran an x pipe when I had a 700r4 trans. The x pipe sounded sweet. When I put in a 4l80e, I had to remove the x pipe and fit an h pipe due to space limitations. It still sounds mean, but instead of hearing all 8 cylinder fire, I hear a sequence of 5. It's hard to explain. Basically I hear 1 bank of cylinders plus an extra from the h pipe. The x pipe mixed both banks better.
    The Raped Ape
    1970 G-20 Krylon black
    Swing up cargo doors
    Supercharged 383
    4L80E transmission
    Detroit trutrac rear limited slip

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madillow View Post
    This is similar to what I did with another project. Did you run a crossover pipe. The 2.5" exhaust system in my 69 Cougar has an unpleasant resonance that I really want to avoid in the van. I even considered using the stock 2-to-1 configuration that was in the Tahoe I got the engine out of. But I don't want to use the catalytic converters and nobody sells the pipes without them.

Thanks for relating your experience with this!
    I am not - - - the exhaust has a nice mellow sound. The Van sides and floor are completely insulated. The mufflers at cruise or mild acceleration are relatively quiet. They do get a bit louder with rapid acceleration, but still not deafening. Sadly, they are not offered any longer - - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-630125/overview/

I would run these - - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...5-xl/overview/

my exhaust - -
    http://www.angelfire.com/wv/joyrde/v...ntransrear.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/wv/joyrde/v...r/IMG_1025.JPG

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you had a sportvan, the factory routed the exhaust in front of the rear wheel. That's an easy solution. It looks cool, and it gets the fumes out away from the van so its not going to vent exhaust back inside. You save money by not going up over the rear axle. If you have a welder, its easy enough to build a side-out style dual exhaust at home. When I built my '65, I originally had dual side-outs before I installed side pipes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00175.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	39101

I agree with joyrde's comment regarding headers. Cast iron manifolds seal better, last longer and have less problems. Block hugger headers do not flow any better than manifolds anyway. Only with long tube headers will you realize any performance gains.

Another really fun option is sidepipes. They are kind of spendy, but look and sound awesome, especially if you pair them with chrome bumpers and headlight rings!

Name:	DSC00577.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	39102

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had side pipes on my 64 GMC - - "327" back in the day

Name:	29h-02fg103-Van mid 1970s.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	39104

loved so much I put them on our '67 . . . that lasted about a week - - - seems exhaust swirls, at speed, and creeps in through the side windows

Now out behind the rear tires

Name:	vanbadlandscrpd.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	39105

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when I first bought my 65 tin can utility van it had exhaust from 230 on side out before rear wheels. I did get some fumes and was fairly loud. After turning it into a passenger van (seats, windows), and installing the 292, ran the 3" tailpipe over axle and out the back aimed to side. Much better
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

User Tag List