Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early issues! Clutch slipping for right now...

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookee View Post
    Just replace that starter with a brand new one..Not renamed.. Brand new!
    The extra money spent will be well worth it.....
    I second that.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starter fixed. For the next few years anyway

I actually took the solenoid apart a while back and flipped the disintegrating contacts around to the unused side. Then I cleaned the coating of copper transfer off of the plunger with sandpaper. Result, a working starter every time! Maybe it won't last years, but it'll do for now for sure. I have even driven it off the road when I ran out of gas once using the starter.

Kingpins are going in now (axle is in my kitchen) and the tank is coming back off for sender replacement or repair tomorrow!

New rear end from 64 Olds F-85 (2.73 ratio) is next on my list! My uncle had it in a shed for the last... well a long time. It's the right width, and the right bolt pattern so it should go right in. After spring mount mod of course.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Not many 64 Oldmobiles laying around in Junk yards these days.
    Good find.A 2:73 gear ratio is a good highway gear ratio.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Wookie!

I just posted in a different thread about needing a 4 wheel alignment... but then I read about the locating holes in the spring mounts. So no easy adjustment there. I may need to cut my mounts again, or just wait for the Olds rear end and weld then on with it adjusted to my slightly skewed springs.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kingpins

I almost forgot to mention... speaking of wheel alignment I've had to replace and patch so much on my van it's a little nuts. (And a lot of miscellaneous appliance skins.) My rear end is held on by what's left of 2 spring mounts patched back together and into place, or close to it... I had it towed 3 times every time the drive shaft dropped. The first just stretched and the second tore the mounts. The third destroyed both sides! It might have stretched the frame also or so it seems. On the other end of the springs, both shackle mounts came through what was left of the floor and are now attached to a 2x6 beam of 1/4 thick structural steel from a building doorway. (It's the strongest part of my van.) All that being said, the new kingpins got my steering wheel pointed straight again but it still dog tracks slightly. It drives straight, just the driver's side rear is about 3" to the left. I measured the drive shaft for center and it looked about 1 cm off. I measured the wheel wells and it looks to be about 2 cm off. That is left to right. But the direction it needs to go in would make it dog track more. I probably need to skew the axle towards the passenger side to straighten it out. I will try the jackstand and string trick to see what that tells me. It does wander a little but that seems to be going away. Probably caused by my slightly coned drivers and severely coned passenger side tire. Those were caused by the horribly worn kingpin bushings. I'll also be rotating tires to put my worn tire issues behind me. (Pun intended)
    (Text solen from my other post)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

My 1st gen dog tracked when I first bought it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	early timesat the york show.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	39643

I had the same issue my rear spring hanger tore loose from the formed tubular frame rail.
    I was able to replace the section of frame rail and get the hanger in the correct place.
    Using the passenger side spring hanger as a denominational guide.
    She tracked straight after that...

Sorry it kinda sounds like you van has some major structural issues...
    Last edited by Wookee; 06-20-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Structural issues...

Sorry it kinda sounds like you van has some major structural issues...[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Yup, it does have a few odds and ends that I had to put back together... I will try putting my drywall square up to the frame rail(s) to see what if any difference there is between spring mounts. And maybe a laser if that doesn't seem accurate enough. The fronts seem pretty close looking at the braces on the side panels. My rear mounts are probably out of alignment also so they might be a contributing factor. They will almost definitely need a laser to measure around the tank and frame rails. I had always planned on making new ones back there anyway. The original is almost completely gone on the passenger side.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Nothing beats an old school measuring tape.
    There are factory holes and items located along the frame rails located in the same location /position on the frame rails.
    find these and measure the to the front of you spring hangers from there
    Get the rear spring hangers as close to the same measured location that you can...

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frame straightening, idle first though!

Thanks Wookie! I will look for similar holes and measure. Today had to go on the back burner though... It just stopped idling. Was running fine until I got off the gas then died. I've been popping it just before stopping or just starting it when the light turns green. Or doing the pedal shuffle clutch neutral brake with left while keeping righty on the gas. I've got a Rochester bc 1bbl carb on it. I've adjusted points and timing. Gone through the top of the carb blew out idle circuit, needle valve replaced, float height set. I opened up the idle mix screw and it seemed better but not much. I'm just wondering if there is something simple I'm missing before I pull the carb. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, and I don't want to ride my moto!

User Tag List