Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early issues! Clutch slipping for right now...

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early issues! Clutch slipping for right now...

So I've been driving my early everyday now that The snow is gone and I'm having some clutch slipping issues. I had my clutch rod fall out twice, after the 2nd time I had to rig it up with safety wire to hold it in. When I got it off once I got home I found that the end of the push rod already had a bolt welded on to it and it was almost completely worn through! I grounded down more of the bolt so that it fit through the linkage. Now it's tight and adjusted the clutch disengages at approximately 1" of travel at the pedal. It has been slipping the last couple days, I thought that was because I had been slipping the clutch too much in 1st gear and glazed it but now I think my clutch might be shot. It slips more in higher gears making freeway travel tough. (Especially the people behind me!) Just wondering what y'all thought before I go get a new clutch. Also does the arm "snap" onto the ball? Mine didn't. I recently swapped trannys, replaced a blown up bell housing, and a bent slip yoke. All replacement parts were identical except the tail shaft housing from the tranny. (I swapped mine onto it)
    I've been having surging problems also but I think they are electronic ignition related so I'm putting the points back on. I also combined two Rochester 1bbl carbs to get it running MUCH better!

Basically I'm combining, blending, tuning, rigging and manufacturing a whole bunch of parts to fix missing, and poorly rigged items...

I know there are a lot of variables here but this is a labor of love. Sometimes more labor sometimes more love...

I'm also trying to figure out how to add pics...
    I've got some good (bad) ones of the clutch, floor, rear spring mounts, and fuel filler...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You may be right on that. It’s possible that the flywheel is glazed now from not disengaging far enough.

The clutch arm snaps onto the ball with a retainer clip.

The surging (if at idle) is likely coming from a vacuum leak at the carb or a PCV valve in need of replacement. Check also to see if your distributor cap is on correctly. I’ve had that happen before. I’d definitely stick with the HEI.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will look at the arm. I don't remember the being a clip just a ball and socket joint. Like I was saying, when I took it out the bell housing was in 9 pieces. I don't think the ball was attached to the arm anymore... I replaced with the same bell housing. (Casting number) it was fine for a while so I thought I might have glazed it. Once engaged in first it seems ok-ish, second slips noticeably, third let's lose obviously! Can I spray some brake cleaner in there on the flywheel or something?

Once I adjusted the linkage (for the first time ever) to near vertical vs 40 degrees (nearer to horizontal) and got the slop out of the linkage I noticed the early disengagement and got more concerned about the clutch itself.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And oops! I think I deleted a reply...
    I don't have a HEI. It is just a points replacement setup. The cap is good, and it's not at idle. It only happens at running rpm. 30 in second, 55 in third and only at steady throttle. If I give it gas it smooths out if I let off it smooths out. Most importantly if I change the timing via distributor or vacuum line disconnect it stops. It seems like there it's a harmonic fault in the cdi unit that will make it surge and die and surge and die... I had it running really good on the points before I messed with it!!! :-(

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok NOW I believe it must be a vaccum leak... I had the timing so far advanced to compensate for it, it was insane! The timing mark was at twelve o'clock. Nowhere near the scale. PCV valve is good hose was in need of a trim, but that didn't fix it. I trimmed the advance hose also. I just rebuilt that carb!!! I'm wondering now if the diaphragm on the distributer is leaking at full advance... That would make sense for the surging only at higher rpms.

I am missing the clip and the pedal return spring so I'm thinking I had better get those before I eat the throw out bearing!

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clutch detail

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch Arm - Frame to Trans.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	39328
    Gary
    1965 Display

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks gfleduc! I will have to check this against what I have. My shaft has a lot of play in it!!! I have a quarter inch of side play in it. Makes for real greasy hands when getting to close to the end...

But my update is this. I found the vacuume leak! It was the advance can on the distributor. Luckily I had a spare that came with the van. Also the clutch seems to be wearing off the glaze. It now tries to kill the engine if I don't slip it intentionally in first whereas before it drove like an auto clutch. Running a little rough still but I'm pretty sure that is because I timed it to 4 degrees when the 250 specs 6 and most of you seem to be running 8. I'll find my advance dial gun and check for 32 total hopefully tomorrow.

I'm hoping that will also improve my mileage which is hovering around 11-12 with me babying it.

Thanks to all!!!

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update GLEEFUL UPDATE!!!

So I dropped the"Hot Spark" CDI ignition and went back to points. Timed it at 6 degrees and it runs good! I pulled the clutch to inspect and realized it was gone. REALLY gone! It was digging into the flywheel bolts. Got a new clutch on Wednesday found out it didn't fit on Thursday... Returned it and ordered one for a 56-59 sedan delivery because that seemed right from what I pulled. Pulled the flywheel on Friday for resurfacing and saw exactly how bad it was... So I went back to the store cancelled the order for the 9.125 clutch, and picked up a 10" flywheel and my first clutch again. I got it all together on Saturday once I got new bolts.

HOLY CRAP!!! I have apparently never had a good clutch in this thing! I need to push the pedal all the way to the floor now to get into first and it locks up sooo nice in every gear! Freeway acceleration is no longer an issue!

My only 2 problems now are:
    1 The dust shield (that was bent up) is/ was rubbing on my new flywheel.
    2 My starter that sometimes needed a jump from a wrench to get turning will now not spin at all. Well, on its own anyway... I am using a hammer to bridge the positive terminal the solenoid and the motor at once. When I do, it starts instantly though so that's AWESOME. I'm going to pull it tonight and clean the terminals in the solenoid. I'm sure that will fix everything. Interestingly I did find my original clutch fork retaining clip inside the starter drive housing...

I just wanted to post this because I am so unbelievably happy with the way it is running and driving after so many setbacks and so much work. Grinning from ear to ear!!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great news!

Sounds like you need a new stater solenoid

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Just replace that starter with a brand new one..Not renamed.. Brand new!
    The extra money spent will be well worth it.....
    Last edited by Wookee; 05-12-2019 at 11:56 AM.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

User Tag List