Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single plain aluminum intake question

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Single plain aluminum intake question

I have an old single plain aluminum intake sitting around that I was thinking of putting on the 68 I recently acquired. Its a stock 350 engine & I know that dual plain intakes r suggested for a stock engine, but I was wondering if the single would work ok for now.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
    Scott
    1966 GMC Handi-Bus Custom (project)
    1968 Chevy 90 panel
    1968 Chevy 108 Sportvan

Certifiable Vanatic Leroy Jackson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by No1rascal View Post
    I have an old single plain aluminum intake sitting around that I was thinking of putting on the 68 I recently acquired. Its a stock 350 engine & I know that dual plain intakes r suggested for a stock engine, but I was wondering if the single would work ok for now.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
    Scott
    Well...it wouldn't not work.

Double negative there😁

There is nothing wrong with a single plane intake. You might loose some torque, but the engine will run.
    The Raped Ape
    1970 G-20 Krylon black
    Swing up cargo doors
    Supercharged 383
    4L80E transmission
    Detroit trutrac rear limited slip

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been running a single plane on my '69 for years. Daily driving it works just fine.
    68 108 panel parts donor
    69 108 sportvan deluxe 350 4bbl 700R4 3:36 posi
    68 108 sportvan custom 350 4bbl 700R4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Actually the brand of carb you are using can dictate what intake you will need to run...
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Single planes are usually for higher RPM operation and will be more lazy and make less low end torque compared to a dual plane, such as a "performer" manifold. Unless you are racing with a high stall convertor, I would sell the single plane and look for a dual

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will run fine, compared to the dual plane it will have less low end power
    but will perform better at higher end rpm, the single plane intakes are good
    for large cam motors that produce power above 3000 rpm, below that they
    are a little weak, but if you have a stock cam, you might not even notice a
    difference in the performance, hope this helps.
    54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
    64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
    69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    years ago, I did my own "test" between a single and dual plane on my '67 Tempest. The engine was a basically stock '70 pontiac 400 with #16 heads, around 10:1 compression. We installed a summit cam which had 224/234 duration, .465/.488 lift, 114 LSA. Headers feeding straight into dual turbo mufflers and then turn-downs. Holley 750 cfm carb. Muncie m20 4 speed, and 12 bolt posi rear with 4.10 gears. The car was pretty quick and ran in the 13's at Albuquerque dragstrip. At the swap meet I scored a few different intakes. I had a performer dual plane, performer RPM (high rise dual plane), and a torker (single plane). I tried each intake, and then ran them in the "test" on the street for a couple days and also racing my buddy Keith in his 289 powered '66 mustang out at out our own secret "1/4 mile" near the edge town.

All the intakes idled about the same.

The performer had great street manners and very good off-idle performance and low-end torque. After winding the engine up into the upper RPM's, it would kind of fall off.

The torker seemed to struggle at the low end, and I was experiencing a lack of power off idle, and it wouldn't really come alive until about 2500 or 3000 rpm. after that, it pulled pretty hard until about 5000 or 5500 which is where the engine kind of ran out of breath.

The performer RPM was the best of both worlds. It had acceptable street manners and did not have the hesitation that the torker manifold showed. It pulled hard right above idle and seemed to work well at 1500 and then was strong all the way through the power band. This became my intake of choice for my street machine.

It should be noted that on these tests, I did not change jetting or carb settings, nor did I mess with timing. I basically just swapped the intake and ran it.
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 05-03-2019 at 09:50 AM.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks 4 the great info guys, kinda confirmed what I already thought.

Since I am in not immediate rush, I will probably look for a dual plane & sell the 1 I have.
    1966 GMC Handi-Bus Custom (project)
    1968 Chevy 90 panel
    1968 Chevy 108 Sportvan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running a Torker on my 350 and it is pretty much just like Kooky said. Happy spot is around 2500 , works good on the X-way though.
    64 Project,65 Driver,66 Parts sorta

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
    years ago, I did my own "test" between a single and dual plane on my '67 Tempest. The engine was a basically stock '70 pontiac 400 with #16 heads, around 10:1 compression. We installed a summit cam which had 224/234 duration, .465/.488 lift, 114 LSA. Headers feeding straight into dual turbo mufflers and then turn-downs. Holley 750 cfm carb. Muncie m20 4 speed, and 12 bolt posi rear with 4.10 gears. The car was pretty quick and ran in the 13's at Albuquerque dragstrip. At the swap meet I scored a few different intakes. I had a performer dual plane, performer RPM (high rise dual plane), and a torker (single plane). I tried each intake, and then ran them in the "test" on the street for a couple days and also racing my buddy Keith in his 289 powered '66 mustang out at out our own secret "1/4 mile" near the edge town.

All the intakes idled about the same.

The performer had great street manners and very good off-idle performance and low-end torque. After winding the engine up into the upper RPM's, it would kind of fall off.

The torker seemed to struggle at the low end, and I was experiencing a lack of power off idle, and it wouldn't really come alive until about 2500 or 3000 rpm. after that, it pulled pretty hard until about 5000 or 5500 which is where the engine kind of ran out of breath.

The performer RPM was the best of both worlds. It had acceptable street manners and did not have the hesitation that the torker manifold showed. It pulled hard right above idle and seemed to work well at 1500 and then was strong all the way through the power band. This became my intake of choice for my street machine.

It should be noted that on these tests, I did not change jetting or carb settings, nor did I mess with timing. I basically just swapped the intake and ran it.

When did you live in Albuquerque? I drag raced here back in the 90's.

User Tag List