Thread: 1968 sportvan custom...looking for right rear quarter panel & roof support advice

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1968 sportvan custom...looking for right rear quarter panel & roof support advice

Ok...see photos, my right rear quarter panel is too far gone. Anybody have something usable, or suggestions?
    Also, the roof caved-in from snow-load sliding off a hay barn...can I get the support stays anywhere, or should I try to get these back to shape?
    No leaks in the roof panel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3497.jpg   IMG_3498.jpg  

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have similar damage and took it to a couple of body shops, both said they can work the metal and do the repair with minimal bondo refinement. An out of state friend that's been a body guy for decades told me the same. One vanner I know told me I was nuts to cut my van and weld in a new panel to, as he put it, "fix a dent". I think generally replacement panels are for when the rust has eaten it away?? Some body shop guys might want to weigh in. I'm going to drop mine off at the shop one of these days, going to cost me $1000-$1200 but I don't have the tools or know-how so....

A bottle jack and a 2x4 should help you get those roof stays back in place but I would think it might need some spot welds? Just be careful because you could over do it with the jack and start pulling out the perimeter seams. I bet a body shop would say fixing that is "easy". They know all the tricks and have the tools.

User Tag List