Thread: Setting on the fence..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Setting on the fence..

The old saying is "The grass looks greener on the other side".
    For the 1st time since I have owned the "Beast"
    Thoughts of selling her off are crossing my mind.
    They still are just thoughts.
    To let every one know how the yard looks on my side of the fence.
    I have two late model vans here that need major engine work/replacement engines installed.
    The money I could get from the "Beast" could pay a couple of shops to do the needed work.
    I can't put the "Beast" into the work space left in my shop.
    The 93 GMC that has been in there for longer than I care to divulge.
    Her issue is she has a rebuilt 4.3 in her I had rebuilt before I went down with my foot problems.
    Her front cross member has been totally rebuilt all new running gear installed.
    I can invest 1,000.00 + in this Van to have a shop install all of the needed equipment to get her running again .
    This is and was the Mary's daily driver.the major issue is the shop that has built quite a few engine for me in past.Did a terrible job on the last SBC that i dropped off to them.I have to have that POS removed and a New "Crate" 350 installed in Mary's Camaro
    I would really rather Just drop a new "Crate" 350 in her.
    I also have the Astro setting here on my parking pad.
    This van was also a very good daily driver.
    Mary and I where both where able to drive this Van to the Van Nationals in Ill.
    It needs head gaskets done on her.The issue is,if I rip her down to do this job I am not sure if the bottom end of is engine will hold up.Our liberal government dictates to me she has to be smog checked.Next driivng season she can be tagged historic.getting her smog checked to fatten up the liberal government policies no longer come into play
    It really would be cheaper to pay a shop to install a new "crate" SBC...in her.
    I really feel like every thing I have here are "keepers".
    My newest van the 89 CMC is now a good proven daily driver.
    She has a new "Crate" small block in Her that runs pretty good.
    I do have to pull her dog house off at least one more time and do a little more tuning.to get her to run a little better.How ever the more I drive her the better she runs.I do have to pay a local shop to get her A/C blowing cold air.She also needs a new dual exhaust bent up and installed on her.This is a job I have no problems paying a local exhaust shop to run a new system for me.
    I have had a few pretty good offer to sell the old girl.Mary really likes driving her I really do not mind setting in the der in the passenger seat with a map letting her know where we need to go.Both of us being able to drive Big Red Is a valuable option for us

I personally have been dealing with Diabetes since I was 32.Oct I will be 61.I have only lost the end of my little toe to e because a doctor did not know what he was doing.They where able to rebuild my left ankle.through a fusion surgery.This why I have only been able to attend a select number of Van Events.
    Mary likes driving Big Red on the open road.While she does not draw the attention the Beast does yet she is getting there.
    I was at my favorite local pub for lunch.There was to guys out in the smoking area.I could see by they hand motions they where talking about her Gullwing rear door.When Dixie and I went out to go home.The one guy asked me if I had a water bed in the back.I politely told him No.Car Guys really do not know much about Vans
    I do use this van like a pick up truck.5 milk crates under the piece of 3/4 inch plywood on the floor and an queen sized air mattress she can sleep very well.she can run a whole tank of gas out with the speedometer pegged at 85
    Wile I have all ways owned completely solid vans in the past.The little heads and other passengers in the back seat kinda like the factory GM slider window.Because this van is a GM factory A/C van all the windows are sealed closed...She has never had any holes hacked into her roof yet.
    I do have an Extreme blazer setting here that is set up with a nice GM installed power sun roof...If it was not for that and a few other valuable to me parts,it would have been sent to the bone yard all ready.The Blazers 6 way power seats and the rest of it's interior will make there way into Big Red...
    The Blazer also has a very good sounding Bose stereo system in her.Well at least the head unit still has the Bose logo on it.How ever it is an older tape deck head unit.
    I really don't want to cut the dash up in Big Red to install it ..How ever it might make a good unit for the rear or the van.The jury is still out on that project.
    It also has a complete lower suspension on it. I do have dreams of installing the frame rail style suspension along with the factory trailing arm suspension I have here In some thing.
    I have to heal better and get my humble abode looking good for my family before I can spend too much time on major vehicle projects.
    I am a certified welder and a dang good fabricator. I never sold of any of my metal working tools an have not forgotten how to use any of them.
    Just need to be able to be up on my feet walking around good.Before any major jobs like the fore mentioned projest,can be performed...

I am on the top side of the dirt today.I have thanked the Big Guy up stairs for another day.I need to finish this post off and get some thing done...
    .............Wookee
    Last edited by Wookee; 05-24-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you have a LOT on your plate. However, you know as good as anyone that's been here as long as you have, "the day you sell your early, is a day you'll regret for the rest of your days." We've both heard it a million times.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between the move to the new place and family things, plus working 7 days a week, nothing much is getting done this year. I have pretty much written off going to any van events this year. Doctor diagnosed me with diabetes when I took my physical for the new job, got me on some pills I can't pronounce and some kind of ridiculous diet that actually has me eating more than I am used to... and my energy is lower now than before. I have one headlight swapped in for the 77 grille conversion on my 83, still need to do the other one and the turn signals. Plow truck popped a fuel line and has broken rear springs (damn train tracks!) still gotta get the earlies up here and finish clearing out the old garage into storage so I can sell the old house and build a pole barn... fix some electrical gremlins on the Harley and new inner tubes and tires on the Ducati... maybe finish the Yamabobber project.... get the wife's jacuzzi moved to the new house and hooked up, finish the suspension work on the Valiant, fixing up the deck on the new house with lighting and gazebo, get my tools somewhat organized (fixed my table saw today, yippee) finishing bodywork on the 83 to paint it, and maybe then I can get to work on the earlies.... might finish it all by the time I'm 130.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    Yeah, you have a LOT on your plate. However, you know as good as anyone that's been here as long as you have, "the day you sell your early, is a day you'll regret for the rest of your days." We've both heard it a million times.
    Thank you for your statement...
    You are right Smiley.I still regret selling my 1st gen no side door to this day.The thing that amazed me when I 1st found our club was the amount of time most here have owned there Earlies.
    The majority that still hang around here are long timers.Some are lifers
    Health issues with me are my No 1 job.It is why I retired when I did.
    Rght now if I do not slow down things can get worse.
    I can how ever just set on my fat butt and watch reruns of Street Outlaws for a a month or two.Until things heal over.
    There is some new stuff coming out that I kinda like to watch.
    Tonight's live Bro Dozer jump was kinda interesting.

Mary and I where critiquing Big Red..When we could both set on the porch at the same time to day.
    It still amazes me how we see things in the same way.
    Our newest granddaughter is a hand full.
    She spent the day and night with us.I had a blast hanging out with her today.
    Mary will drop her off at "School" tomorrow morning.
    She does help take my mind off of what I have going on.
    While this stretch of my Game Of Life is not a bad one. I do have to make all my moves count.
    Coming here all ways brings me solace ...
    ........Wookee

Last edited by Wookee; 05-29-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have not been on here long enough to know all of your projects and their respective names, but sounds like you have a lot of vehicles! While this isn't much of a comparison, it may help. One day I was looking for a new surfboard and telling the surf shop owner, a hard core surfer, how many boards I had and which I liked best. Some for small waves, some for bigger waves, etc. Some I never rode any more for one reason or another. He just said, if you're not riding it, sell it. Put the money to some other use.

Having too many projects can stress me out. I have a problem with patience, and perfection. I want it all done now, and by done, all done! Maybe where you are right now is needing to simplify your life a bit. Make a list of all the vehicles and rank them (with any Chevy van older than 1970 at the top). Take a long hard look at the ones toward the bottom of the list and be honest if you really need them, or if you would really miss them.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, diabetes sucks. Any of you suffering from this should check out a company called Dexcom. I'm working on a project with them now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by VanSandy View Post
    Also, diabetes sucks. Any of you suffering from this should check out a company called Dexcom. I'm working on a project with them now.
    I am familiar with Dexcon.They offer up a insulin pump that you ware of your body.
    Sweating a pump off would SUCK.I have gotten used to finger sticks.They really do not bother me
    Medicare does not cover it yet.
    When I go low I do sweat more than normal.They show this device being worn on you arm.
    I can and do sweat my insert for my current pump off of my body.stomach area.
    I just stepped up to a new "Smart" Insulin pump from Metronics.
    I am still learning how to use this new device.
    The only issue is if you do keep your blood under good control.Between 80 -120.You do run the chance of going low..
    While constantly high blood sugar levels can effect your health in a negative way.
    Going low is no picnic and can be very dangerous.In my case I can do every thing right and still have things go wrong.
    I do have a very good endocrinologist who is on top of her game.
    Like I said earlier,my Game Of Life is getting more intense......

Last edited by Wookee; 06-02-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookee View Post
    I am familiar with Dexcon.
    Ah, good. I am just familiar with the little glucose monitor, not the pumps. I'm not a clinician, I'm in the IT department helping implement solutions. It's good you have a good doc, I'm working with one who is probably one of the leaders in Southern California, she is very impressive, a million times over my pay grade!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Well,I do like what I am seeing out my front window....

User Tag List