Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Any paint experts out there

  1. #1
    Van Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Winnipeg MB Canada
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Any paint experts out there

    Hi i'm in the process of prepping for paint i'm not a auto body guy but have done a couple of cars with OK results planning on using base /clear color will be jeep PGE code mojito green was also thinking of adding green flake does anyone have info on how flake will effect the base color from what I've seen it looks like the flake can overpower the base paint.Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    6,033
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vulch View Post
    Hi i'm in the process of prepping for paint i'm not a auto body guy but have done a couple of cars with OK results planning on using base /clear color will be jeep PGE code mojito green was also thinking of adding green flake does anyone have info on how flake will effect the base color from what I've seen it looks like the flake can overpower the base paint.Thanks
    Unless the flake matches the basecoat color, it will show, and it won't look good. If you really want metalflake, I would pick a flake color you like best, and have your basecoat matched to it. Otherwise, it'll look like pepper in your paint in most lighting.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

  3. #3
    Van Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Winnipeg MB Canada
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    Unless the flake matches the basecoat color, it will show, and it won't look good. If you really want metalflake, I would pick a flake color you like best, and have your basecoat matched to it. Otherwise, it'll look like pepper in your paint in most lighting.
    Thanks for the info

  4. #4
    VCVC Charter Member Vanner68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Kimball MI USA
    Posts
    13,393
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smiley's the flake expert (eh, that doesn't sound right) and I can tell you that the flake on Blue overdose manages to pop and be subtle at the same time. It's all in how the light hits it. If you throw silver flake in the clear over that green, your van is going to look like a vintage bass boat



    (Really hard to find a good pic)
    Gregg Groff


    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

    1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

    1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

  5. #5
    VCVC Member jrinaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    zelienople, pa.
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wouldnt use any flake on that green. judging from the pic, it appears to be a solid, non metalic color and bold. any flake or pearl will take away from its bold color. if you want flake, pic a metalic green instead and add flake to that. whatever flake you pic, your overall color will look closer to that. a white car with black flake would look grey from a distance. for lighter flake, pick a darker shade than what you want, darker flake and go a few shades lighter on paint. I used an excessive amount of flake over a dark metallic grey and from a distance, you see medium grey. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190612_212948.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	39600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1559914728691.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	39601
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

  6. #6
    Van Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Winnipeg MB Canada
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for advise i will probably do some test panels before i take the plunge

  7. #7
    VCVC Member jrinaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    zelienople, pa.
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vulch View Post
    Thanks for advise i will probably do some test panels before i take the plunge
    make your test panels big and set them outside to view from a distance and see in direct sun. give it a few days too, some paints look different after fully cured. within reason, try to duplicate what your doing on the van. same prep, same primer, same amount of coats. while it may seam silly to fill scratches and wet sand a few stop signs, the effort is minimal compared to painting the entire van. if you paint the backs and not the fronts, you can put them back up where you took them from (maybe speed limit signs would be safer than borrowing stop signs)
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

  8. #8
    Van Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Winnipeg MB Canada
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinaman View Post
    make your test panels big and set them outside to view from a distance and see in direct sun. give it a few days too, some paints look different after fully cured. within reason, try to duplicate what your doing on the van. same prep, same primer, same amount of coats. while it may seam silly to fill scratches and wet sand a few stop signs, the effort is minimal compared to painting the entire van. if you paint the backs and not the fronts, you can put them back up where you took them from (maybe speed limit signs would be safer than borrowing stop signs)
    Thanks for info great idea about the stop signs LOL

  9. #9
    VCVC Member Wookee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Joppa Maryland U.S.A.
    Posts
    15,670
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cool

    Back in the days of lacquer type paint.A base coat of silver or gold was laid down.
    Then the metal flake was applied in a coat of clear.This had to be wet sanded smooth.
    Some of the flakes turn a brighter silver if they where close to the top of the clear.
    A translucent "Candy" color was applied over the smoothed out clear coat.This was also wet sanded smooth.
    Another coat of clear was applied.The clear was sanded smooth and buffed out..
    This technique made the flake look like it was part of the paint it's self..
    While more labor than most want to spend on a paint job.The end effect is stunning.

    Applying metal flake in a top coat of clear can give the flake an out of place look

    Joel,the painter of Smiley's Van nailed his metal flake paint technique...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1190.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	39624

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1204.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	39625

    This is a finer,smaller metal flake..It almost has a metallic look to it...
    Last edited by Wookee; 06-17-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

  10. #10
    Van Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Winnipeg MB Canada
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats a nice paint job i went to paint supplier and he talked me out of using flake i realized thats for professional painters so i will go with a metallic paint

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •