• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vulch
    Van Addict
    • Nov 2016

Any paint experts out there

Hi i'm in the process of prepping for paint i'm not a auto body guy but have done a couple of cars with OK results planning on using base /clear color will be jeep PGE code mojito green was also thinking of adding green flake does anyone have info on how flake will effect the base color from what I've seen it looks like the flake can overpower the base paint.Thanks
  • smiley
    Administrator
    • Apr 2000

Originally posted by vulch View Post
    Hi i'm in the process of prepping for paint i'm not a auto body guy but have done a couple of cars with OK results planning on using base /clear color will be jeep PGE code mojito green was also thinking of adding green flake does anyone have info on how flake will effect the base color from what I've seen it looks like the flake can overpower the base paint.Thanks
    Unless the flake matches the basecoat color, it will show, and it won't look good. If you really want metalflake, I would pick a flake color you like best, and have your basecoat matched to it. Otherwise, it'll look like pepper in your paint in most lighting.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Comment

• vulch
      Van Addict
      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by smiley View Post
      Unless the flake matches the basecoat color, it will show, and it won't look good. If you really want metalflake, I would pick a flake color you like best, and have your basecoat matched to it. Otherwise, it'll look like pepper in your paint in most lighting.
      Thanks for the info

Comment

• Vanner68
        VCVC Charter Member
        • May 2000

Smiley's the flake expert (eh, that doesn't sound right) and I can tell you that the flake on Blue overdose manages to pop and be subtle at the same time. It's all in how the light hits it. If you throw silver flake in the clear over that green, your van is going to look like a vintage bass boat

(Really hard to find a good pic)
        Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

• jrinaman
          VCVC Member
          • Apr 2011

i wouldnt use any flake on that green. judging from the pic, it appears to be a solid, non metalic color and bold. any flake or pearl will take away from its bold color. if you want flake, pic a metalic green instead and add flake to that. whatever flake you pic, your overall color will look closer to that. a white car with black flake would look grey from a distance. for lighter flake, pick a darker shade than what you want, darker flake and go a few shades lighter on paint. I used an excessive amount of flake over a dark metallic grey and from a distance, you see medium grey. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190612_212948.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	443629Click image for larger version

Name:	1559914728691.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	443630
          '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Comment

• vulch
            Van Addict
            • Nov 2016

Thanks for advise i will probably do some test panels before i take the plunge

Comment

• jrinaman
              VCVC Member
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by vulch View Post
              Thanks for advise i will probably do some test panels before i take the plunge
              make your test panels big and set them outside to view from a distance and see in direct sun. give it a few days too, some paints look different after fully cured. within reason, try to duplicate what your doing on the van. same prep, same primer, same amount of coats. while it may seam silly to fill scratches and wet sand a few stop signs, the effort is minimal compared to painting the entire van. if you paint the backs and not the fronts, you can put them back up where you took them from (maybe speed limit signs would be safer than borrowing stop signs)
              '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Comment

• vulch
                Van Addict
                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by jrinaman View Post
                make your test panels big and set them outside to view from a distance and see in direct sun. give it a few days too, some paints look different after fully cured. within reason, try to duplicate what your doing on the van. same prep, same primer, same amount of coats. while it may seam silly to fill scratches and wet sand a few stop signs, the effort is minimal compared to painting the entire van. if you paint the backs and not the fronts, you can put them back up where you took them from (maybe speed limit signs would be safer than borrowing stop signs)
                Thanks for info great idea about the stop signs LOL

Comment

• Wookee
                  VCVC Member
                  • Oct 2002

Back in the days of lacquer type paint.A base coat of silver or gold was laid down.
                  Then the metal flake was applied in a coat of clear.This had to be wet sanded smooth.
                  Some of the flakes turn a brighter silver if they where close to the top of the clear.
                  A translucent "Candy" color was applied over the smoothed out clear coat.This was also wet sanded smooth.
                  Another coat of clear was applied.The clear was sanded smooth and buffed out..
                  This technique made the flake look like it was part of the paint it's self..
                  While more labor than most want to spend on a paint job.The end effect is stunning.

Applying metal flake in a top coat of clear can give the flake an out of place look

Joel,the painter of Smiley's Van nailed his metal flake paint technique...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1190.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	443634

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1204.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	443635

This is a finer,smaller metal flake..It almost has a metallic look to it...
                  Last edited by Wookee; 06-17-2019, 08:05 AM.
                  Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Comment

• vulch
                    Van Addict
                    • Nov 2016

thats a nice paint job i went to paint supplier and he talked me out of using flake i realized thats for professional painters so i will go with a metallic paint

Comment

• Vanner68
                      VCVC Charter Member
                      • May 2000

Yes, I've seen some amateur flake jobs that had 'texture'....
                      Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

Working...
                      X