Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need tips and tricks on tidying up engine wires.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by "dedicated circuit, bypassing the OE harness"?

Say for example if i want to install new fog lights. How do you dedicate a circuit?

I'm guessing run a power line from fog light to battery instead of fog light to fuse box?

Quote Originally Posted by 108VanGuy View Post
    All great advice. If you follow those aviation wiring guidlines you can't go wrong. Problem with just tidying up wires is that just moving them around can cause issues. Same thing with tightly wrapping them. If you just want to get them tidy, maybe zip ties to just kind of collect them. It's hard to give informed advice without seeing what you've got going on. On the 69 WedgieVan, every time I've added an electrical device, I've run a dedicated circuit, bypassing the OE harness as much as possible.
    108VanGuy...
    1966 GMC / 292 ci / 700r4 / Air Suspension

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what I did was add a second fuse box. I used a relay with power direct from battery and 'keyed' power to trigger the relay. I only have a couple circuits on it but those and anything I add later will get power from an 8 gauge wire, not threw the original wiring and minimal power is needed to trigger the relay.
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I started adding things (fans, electric fuel pump, trailer lites, etc.) in '88 with the installation of the 292, at first I just found empty fuse prongs in the existing fuse block. After a while I found that I couldn't run the wipers, headlites and heater motor at the same time, headlites got real dim, volt meter at 8 volts. So found a couple of small fuse blocks at NAPA and ran an 8 gage wire from the battery terminal on the starter to them. Then, thanks to advice from many, started using relays to send power to the extras and the headlites and the wipers and the heater motor. Now I can see the highway and keep warm.
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by monkeykongking View Post
    What do you mean by "dedicated circuit, bypassing the OE harness"?

I'm guessing run a power line from fog light to battery instead of fog light to fuse box?
    The issues when upgrading the wiring on these old girls can get tricky.

On things like a late modle HEI I run a dedicated hot wire to the H.E.I hot terminal.
    I found an open "Keyed Hot" terminal on the fuse box ran a 12 GA. power wire to the H.E.I. power terminal.

If I loose power when it is dark out side I want to be able to go right to the problem & fix the issue.
    Using a too high amp circuit breaker or relay can do more damage if the wires get too hot and begin to melt.
    IT WILL TAKE OUT MELT ANY WIRES bundled tightly 5together before it blows the fuse or kicks a breaker. or relay.
    A shorted out "HOT" wire get HOT fast.By the time you smell it burning the insulation the damage is done..
    Having easy to remove battery terminals.
    Being able to go right to the source of the power and to be able to unhook it.Can save a a bunch or repair work
    It's also a good thing to work into your freshly up graded electrical system...

You need to run a hot wire and a ground wire to an accessory be a true "dedicated" circuit...
    Fog Lights can be ran in there own detached circuit..

Last edited by Wookee; 06-16-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate those things. Never trusted them. Luckily my van is free of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    If you have any of these anywhere, GET RID OF THEM!

They are just problems waiting to happen. Cut and splice the wire if absolutely necessary, or just run a new dedicated wire as stated above.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also bought a second fuse box. I found a keyed power from the original fuse box and used that as the main source for 8 more things.
    DANGEROUS!!! I don't know how that hasn't caused an electrical fire yet.

I'm gonna add a relay and run a 12 gauge from the battery. I'll use that same keyed power from the original fuse to trigger it.

I can't believe i didn't think about this before.

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrinaman View Post
    what I did was add a second fuse box. I used a relay with power direct from battery and 'keyed' power to trigger the relay. I only have a couple circuits on it but those and anything I add later will get power from an 8 gauge wire, not threw the original wiring and minimal power is needed to trigger the relay.

User Tag List