Thread: White smoke smoking out the neighborhood lol

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panelmanrd View Post
    a 230 or a 250 is a direct replacement for the 194
    Man thatís awesome thank you. Great to have a back up plan. What type of $$$ should I look to drop on a 250?

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panelmanrd View Post
    sometimes white smoke out the pipe can actually be light blue and be caused by oil getting into the cyl.
    the other cause of white smoke out the pipe is from antifreeze finding its way into the cyl, either a
    blown head gasket or a cracked head or a crack in the cyl,
    with the engine running and it putting out the smoke, wave a sample of the smoke into your mouth if it tastes
    sweet it is antifreeze. if not its oil hope this helps
    So I just drained the radiator. It looked green up top but man was it brown coming out the bottom. Yep I just said brown out the bottom 🧐 . So this is definitely the head gasket right?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 250 off Craigslist for $150. Installed in my van and had the same white smoke issue. Turned out to be a cracked cylinder head. I put a different head on it and then it worked fine with no more smoke. You can change the head gasket and see if that works. If it still smokes white, it’s probably a cracked head.

you can tell by the smell if it’s burning oil or antifreeze. Oil has a distinct oil smell and you’ll smell it immediately, and the smoke will have a more blue hue to it. Burning antifreeze will be white smoke.

I would not not spend money on rebuilding a 194, when a 250 will bolt directly in its place. You won’t need to change anything else. But hopefully your short block is fine, just need a new head gasket or head
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 06-22-2019 at 07:44 PM.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark castle View Post

So I just drained the radiator. It looked green up top but man was it brown coming out the bottom. Yep I just said brown out the bottom 🧐 . So this is definitely the head gasket right?
    I would take the head to a machine shop since you have to take it off any way and have it redone. They will run a pressure test on it to see if itís cracked. Just a suggestion. It wouldnít hurt to flush radiator at the same time since you have to drain it anyway.

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
    I bought a 250 off Craigslist for $150. Installed in my van and had the same white smoke issue. Turned out to be a cracked cylinder head. I put a different head on it and then it worked fine with no more smoke. You can change the head gasket and see if that works. If it still smokes white, itís probably a cracked head.

you can tell by the smell if itís burning oil or antifreeze. Oil has a distinct oil smell and youíll smell it immediately, and the smoke will have a more blue hue to it. Burning antifreeze will be white smoke.

I would not not spend money on rebuilding a 194, when a 250 will bolt directly in its place. You wonít need to change anything else. But hopefully your short block is fine, just need a new head gasket or head
    thank you for the advice! you guys are really helping a young man out!

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pics

this is what she looks like. guess it couldn't hurt to get the head looked at.
    to my untrained yes and fingers it doesn't seem to be cracked though the buildup is crazy...
    lol im all over youtube looking for cleaning tips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EB6CC1DC-A283-4616-A7AA-42556DCEDFEB.jpg   1FD7C00A-D390-4313-AA94-AC3CB0BA7384.jpg  

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5CBB90E6-9159-4B3E-BBF1-F1E705D1D9AC.jpg   2A87C28D-59D5-48C5-B3C0-21A5FE239E56.jpg   22941720-55F6-4EB8-9755-524E9091C72B.jpg  

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is what she looks like. guess it couldn't hurt to get the head looked at.
    to my untrained yes and fingers it doesn't seem to be cracked though the buildup is crazy...
    lol im all over youtube looking for cleaning tips.
    Take it to a machine shop or call one and ask how much to redo a head . That way you arenít guessing that it is just the gasket.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see nothing unusual in the pics, but You usually cannot see cracks with the naked eye. It needs to be checked at a machine shop, usually by magna flux or other means.

Or find another head on your local craigslist, etc. and just try it with a new gasket

Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man that’s awesome thank you. Great to have a back up plan. What type of $$$ should I look to drop on a 250?
    Look on your local craigslist. I have bought complete, good running used engines for as cheap as $300 before. For something rebuilt with a warranty, you are probably looking at $1300 or more + shipping + core for a long block (block with head).

Here's an interesting one. Not sure how far you are from this seller, but you could ebay the brackets and probably recover at least $100. We don't use em for our vans, but those 6 cyl brackets are very rare.
    https://lexington.craigslist.org/pts...914895317.html

Another one: https://lexington.craigslist.org/pts...893386071.html

One thing to note: You are wanting only the "non-integrated" cylinder head. Stay away from the "integrated" head, which have the intake manifold fused to the head. Those are not worth the trouble.
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 06-24-2019 at 10:10 AM.

User Tag List