0 Thread(s)

Freaky Projects For Spring of 2019

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2063.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	39646
    IMG 2063

FreakyTikiTV (Bill) has owned this sweet 66 display van for about two years now. He bought this van at night, in the rain and paid for it without being able to really check it out. I first met Bill when he contacted me through VCVC asking for some assistance on his van. For that story, see the 2017 post ďGood Day in Clear LakeĒ . Basically, after a few weekends of marathon VCVan work, we got the drum brakes redone, and did enough other stuff to make it just road worthy enough to take a 40 mile road trip. Even if we were pumping fuel from a 4 gallon marine tank sitting on the passengerís lap. Billís smile at the end of that test drive was worth every minute of driveway work in that 100+ degree weather. Bill wanted to take the van to the VCVC rally in Missouri but it was just not ready. Instead, he hitched a ride with me and after 36 hours of team driving, we were cooking for the crew in Branson. His van sat for all of 2018 but this spring was the time to do whatever it took to make it a road worthy daily driver. This has been my #1 priority project since April 20 of 2019. The projects we wanted to knock out were;

Replace clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing
    Install OD transmission with hanger mount
    Make and install OD wiring harness and OD cable
    Replace all Leaf Spring Bushings
    Install turn signal switch
    Clean, repair, prime and paint windshield frame as required prior to replacing cracked windshield
    Check compression, ignition timing, advance, adjust carburetor, new radiator hoses and pressure test system, install; a couple of new dash knobs, a 3d printed M/C cover, two shift rod bushings
    After these repairs, the next item on the ďTo DoĒ list is a nice long shakedown drive. I would drive the FreakyVan and check for any items that needed attention. The goal would be to return the FreakyVan to him as a reliable daily driver ready for the 2019 van runs to be. Pacific Northwest, Southern Cal, Yosemite, SF Bay area. Basically, just plan to head North, South, East and West, (to start with at least).
    Iíve broken up most of the above repairs into separate threads. That way members donít have to read through one long post if they are doing a similar repair. It also makes it easier to search for a particular subject since many members will probably do one of these repairs at a time.
    The first write up has been submitted to Smiley. Itís too many characters for me to post up. Hopefully thereís a workaround.
    108VanGuyÖ
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    niiiiice! was this maybe the van u wanted to show me last weekend?

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Wrangler

Frank: That was the reason I wanted to drop by. I know your 65 is needing a cylinder head so you're not driving it these days. Thought maybe you'd like to go for a spin in the FreakyVan. I'm supposed to be test driving it and you are one of my designated test drivers! Freaky (Bill) was wanting to meet you also. Turned out we got hung up on some of the work on his van anyway. Next time my friend.

This weekend Freaky couldn't make it out. I was working in the shop all day. Toward afternoon the heat was getting worse but I stayed longer with a few small projects. Eventually it was too much. I'm hot, tired, in my dirty Carharts but mostly thirsty. I needed a few small parts from the local hardware store and it just happens to be real close to a local watering hole called the Wrangler. Inexpensive draft beer, dirt parking lot and a hitching post for the cowboys to tie up their horses. A place with plenty of character(s). As I'm driving past it toward the hardware store, (parts first!) I notice they have a car show going on. Nice! I pick up my parts and head back for my draft. As I head back to the bar, I notice a few gaps in the car lineup. Show must have been going on for some time now. I pull into the parking lot real slow so as not to kick up too much dust. Heck, no sense in drawing gunfire on the way into the parking lot, I'm thirsty! The lot is pretty full but there's a spot right up front on the show car lineup. Go for it! What are they gonna do? I can hear my self saying "I've been kicked outta better car shows than this! So I back in, open the doghouse lid so they can see that 230 and hop out. First order of business: get a pic before they can boot me out. I can just imagine a big drunk cowboy wearing a ribbon that says JUDGE coming up to challenge me "Hey Boy, whatsyou doin! Get outta there!" Every car in the line has a big ticket in the windshield with a number so others can vote. All I have is a parking pass for work. I get out and look around like I own the joint, so far so good. Take a few steps back and SNAP!

Name:	IMG_2287.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	39667
    Now get inside for that draft. Wow , the place is really popping but there's an open spot at the bar, again, so far so good. Anyone coming in to look for that guy with the van in the wrong spot is going to be yelling over the sound of the band. Quick, order up!

Name:	IMG_2289.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	39668
    And there it is, within arms reach! This first one won't take long. Barkeep, another! I'll post a video of the place as soon as I figure out how. So after a few quick beers and listening for a while to the surprisingly good band, they take a break and have the "Beauty Contest". This ought to be good. I get up off the stool and am reminded what happens after a few quick beers at 6pm and not having eaten since breakfast. Whoa, steady there. I make my way to the next room and the gals are lined up like the cars outside. First glance, wow! Focus, second glance uhhh, wow! Gotta get a pic of these " Wrangler Beauties".

Name:	IMG_2291.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	39669
    A more complete lineup of cleavage, tats and sweeper eyelashes I have not seen. Did I get my swine flu shot this year? How could one choose? Apparently this crowd has the discernment required to judge. In the back of my head is a loud and clear voice "RUN FOREST RUN!" Yep, bail out! You've had your drinks. listened to the band, seen the local talent and not gotten into a fight. Now where's the door and is the van still there? Seems like a long way to the door when you're getting looks like you don't belong. Strategy; look pissed off, drunk and ready for a fight. Problem is that only one of those three are true. A song rings in my head about the Dew Drop Inn except I don't have a peace sign, four on the floor and mag wheels. I've got a surfer van, Mag wheels and a three on the tree (w/OD). I'm out the door and the van's still there. Walk straight, find keys, get going. So far so good. I drop the doghouse lid, fire it up and slowly head past the lineup. A group at the end that looks real rough is staring right at me and two of them are carrying something behind their back. Is another new windshield for the FreakyVan coming soon? I give them my best tough guy look and the apparent leader steps up and says: "HEY!" Awesome van, really cool!" I give him a wave and slowly pull away. Cheated death again... ;>)
    108VanGuy...
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story ! Bill
    1966 Chevy G10 Panel, 283 small block/turbo 350,Disc brakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...I heard that highway start to whine.
    Mike

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freaky Test Drive (Short Version)

Freaky Test Drive

After the windshield install, Iím street legal. Now itís time for the first FreakyVan road test in two years. At least this test drive does not require a passenger to have a marine fuel tank on his lap with a rubber squeeze ball to pump fuel into the carb. (Read about the first road test in the post ďGreat Day In Clear Lake" http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/2...ght=clear+lake) I top off with fuel and head for the freeway. I have an overdue obligation about 50 miles away and what a great way to road test the FreakyVan. I mean, it canít be considered a roadable daily driver without a few good shakedown road tests. Right? Todayís temperature is already well over 100F so why not get on the freeway and go for a drive? Heck, we donít want Freaky to get his van back and find out the hard way that itís not really roadworthy. Off I go. Iíve already driven this van on surface streets and Iíve seen the aftermarket temp gauge not get over 180, so this is good. Iíve pressure tested the radiator and cap. Itís looking good holding at 16 psi, good enough for me and Iíve got AAA just in case. I get going on the freeway and soon notice the temperature climbing much higher than the surface street driving Iíve done. The temp climbs past 190, 200, then 210. I have no belly pan installed but Bill has one in the back of the van. I decide to pull off the freeway and find a hardware store that has the bolts and washers I need to install that belly pan. The van has no working door locks and the crowd at the local Home Depot is not the kind youíd invite over for dinner. I circle the parking lot looking for a spot close to the door. People are giving me thumbs up for the van and yelling compliments. No low profile here! Heck with it! I park as close as possible, roll up the windows to make it look like itís secure (which also tends to conserve the heat!) I grab one of the belly pan nut retainers from the bottom of the van and head inside. Turns out they donít have the exact right size but I find something that will work. 1/4'Ē x 20 x 1Ē and some ľĒ lock washers and flat washers. I picked the shortest checkout line which also happened to be the longest wait time but finally make it back to the van. All is intact and I donít have to make up a story to explain to Bill what happened to his van while Iím hanging out in the Home Depotís wonderful air conditioning. Iíve got my parts and Iím headed to a nearby park to find a shade tree to install his bellypan. A short while later and Iím back on the freeway. Itís past 2 pm and the warming day continues to get warmer. The bellypan is in place and I quickly notice that it seems to be making no difference in the temperature. I get clear of the city slowdowns and hit the open highway. I put her in OD and crank up the speed. Iím feeling that the FreakyVan has a little less umph than the WedgieVan in OD. Could the FreakyVan have a 230 instead of the 250 that the WedgieVan has? Weíll maybe put that on the list to check later. FreakyVan OD really makes a difference in the highway speed. It doesnít have a working speedometer but Iím easily keeping up with the fastest traffic. It takes a while to build up the speed in OD but it cruises right along. Iím estimating 70+ mph and there is no hint of over revving the engine. Thereís no engine cover insulation or engine cover seal. Heck, thereís even some additional holes in the back side of the engine cover that the PO drilled in there for who knows why. Those holes also work great to fill the cab with a hint of carbon monoxide. Is that the VCV perfume? Iím driving right along and everything is sounding and feeling really good except that temperature gauge. Itís climbing above 210 while Iím at freeway speeds! I remembered a post where it mentioned the OE temperature warning light triggered at 250F. (Was that you Gregg?) Now if the original gauges were in working order, a driver would not be warned of high engine temps until ~250F. The OE did not install a gauge, only a light so if I was driving a completely original 66, I would see no temp issue. So, I kept driving. Critical temperature for engine components is above 250F so even though the temp was much higher than I would prefer, I calculated it would be OK.
    During the drive, I noticed that the temp did not go beyond 220F. It was over 100F outside and I was driving at least 70 mph. If I had a needle-type temperature gauge, I figured it would be reading above half way but not in the red or danger area. Thatís what was going through my head. While driving, I had an idea. Slow down a bit, drop it out of OD and see what happens to the temp. I slowed down to an estimated 60-65 mph, kept it there for a while and noticed no change in temperature. Then I disengaged the OD and kept it at the same speed. The engine was noticeably noisier. I think that most of the reason was from the fixed mechanical fan. The engine sounded like it was pretty high on the rpms but from my experience with these vans on the freeway, I knew I was not over revving the engine. The temperature slowly came down to 210F. and stayed there. I tried going back into OD and then back out, 3 times. Each time with the same result. The temp dropped 10 degrees with the higher rpms at the same vehicle speed. What this tells me is that the lower temps resulted from the higher fan blade speed. More air being pulled across the radiator by the fixed fan reduced the engine temp. This is even without any kind of fan shroud. This was a really good test time for future testing of VCVan engine cooling. Bottom line; in this case it seemed to be all about airflow across the radiator (duh Mark). AND. Does the belly pan really help engine cooling or is it just a rock shield? Many factors come into play that I wasnít able to check out and I didnít have the time to make further tests, hopefully later.
    I made it to Stockton OK. It was 45 miles on the freeway in 100F+ temps.
    The FreakyVan did well. With the OD engaged, it rocked! I was easily cruising along at speed with the fastest of traffic. Without OD, Iím poking along in the slow lane with the fan making a lot of noise. This drive was also made with the roof racks and those fat sweet Freaky tires he has on there. Granted, I was not able to get the FreakyVan up to keep up the even higher highway speeds (75+ mph) that I wanted to try because of the traffic. Maybe if a fixed fan was able to get enough engine speed, the temp would drop down some. That might put the van at 80 mph, but Iím just guessing on the speed. I need a working tachometer and a working speedometer. One thing I was able to check was the fuel economy. Currently, the FreakyVan doesnít have a working fuel gauge, so if Iím going to be able to shake down the van, I need to not run out of fuel! Bottom line on fuel economy with the mixed city/highway driving as well as the OD/non OD driving was 13 MPG. I consider this poor fuel economy but Bill does have that roof rack and the wide rear tires taxing the fuel economy. Iím not sure how much that would affect it. I also did not give it a good long highway only test. I should swap tires and pull the roof rack for a little longer road test. Maybe a trip to a decent craft beer establishment for some Stouts to go?
    108VanGuyÖ

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Nice stories...
    Mark,you really should not be so insecure about your self and the reception of an early Van out in public.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink But..

But Wookee, it makes for a better story that way..
    108VanGuy...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Uh,,Ok...LOL...
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

User Tag List