Thread: Making a transaction

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making a transaction

Hi,
    not sure if I asked this question before but say thereís an earlie in Oregon that Iím interested . How would you go about making payment and having it shipped to Montana? Maybe Iím just being paranoid but thereís a lot of creeps out there. I just donít want to get scammed. G10guy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oregon is not that far from Montana. Go there and make the deal in person. Then after setting eyes on it, and doing the deal, then arrange shipping or rent a u-haul and a trailer yourself, or whatever you need to do. Long holiday weekend coming up, which should be perfect.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project
    '67 108" G10 "high roller" 350/th350 12 bolt rear, 31" tires

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
    Oregon is not that far from Montana. Go there and make the deal in person. Then after setting eyes on it, and doing the deal, then arrange shipping or rent a u-haul and a trailer yourself, or whatever you need to do. Long holiday weekend coming up, which should be perfect.
    I second that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

There are quite a few members here who have bought there vans going strictly by photos submitted by sellers on the different sale sight.
    They have had good luck with there purchases.
    They do not even see the Van they bought until the transportation service drops off the van at there place.
    Sorry I am old school when it comes to buying any vehicle.
    I go to where the vehicle is at.Look it over good.Listen to how the engine runs.Take it for a test drive.
    If I am happy with what I see.I give the seller a stack of dead presidents.Then drive my new purchase home.
    This way of buying any vehicle has never let me down.
    Good luck to you on your new purchase
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unless you have a friend in that area, I would go in person. not just the scammers that never intended to sell but to visually see and inspect it. I have had several out of state trips only to be disappointed as I pulled up (still in the car). one so bad that even offering it at scrap value, I declined. they all had pics of decent vehicles that somehow aged a few years overnight! the van I bought had 10-20 year old pics in the ad (he admitted it in person) I got it for half his FIRM price! even if you opt. to have it shipped, a trip over is well worth the time.
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinaman View Post
    unless you have a friend in that area, I would go in person. not just the scammers that never intended to sell but to visually see and inspect it. I have had several out of state trips only to be disappointed as I pulled up (still in the car). one so bad that even offering it at scrap value, I declined. they all had pics of decent vehicles that somehow aged a few years overnight! the van I bought had 10-20 year old pics in the ad (he admitted it in person) I got it for half his FIRM price! even if you opt. to have it shipped, a trip over is well worth the time.
    Hi there,
    Me being a newbie what should I take into consideration when inspecting a potential purchase? I have no idea what a good sounding engine should sound like. I have minimal experience when it comes to vans/vehicles.thanks much.g10guy
    Last edited by G10guy; 07-04-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G10guy View Post
    Hi there,
    Me being a newbie what should I take into consideration when inspecting a potential purchase? I have no idea what a good sounding engine should sound like. I have minimal experience when it comes to vans/vehicles.thanks much.g10guy
    We all started somewhere, just like you. I bought my first vehicle, a 66 sportvan, at age 19 with money I'd saved from my job as a lifeguard and mowing lawns. I didn't know anything, but I did know I wanted a '64-66 chevy or GMC van because I loved them.

You're buying a 50 year old van. If it runs at all, that is a bonus. Most times when they are for sale, they don't run. When I look at a van for sale, I am more concerned about the condition of the body and rust issues. The engine is the easy part. These vans are probably the easiest, most forgiving vehicles to work on you can find.

Fixing a trashed body and especially advanced rust problems is the most expensive and time consuming.

A good running engine sounds generally good, and it runs. Unless it is knocking or putting out alot of smoke, any engine that runs in an early should be considered a plus.
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 07-05-2019 at 08:55 AM.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project
    '67 108" G10 "high roller" 350/th350 12 bolt rear, 31" tires

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RUST! not 'if' it has rust but where and how much. the hole you see is about half what needs replaced. on a rocker, same work to replace bottom 2" or the whole thing but on the frame, floor or windshield area, much more work. I cant stress enough about buying the best van you can afford. if I were in your shoes, living closer to the rust free coast and limited knowledge. I would find a trustworthy and knowledgeable member and PAY them to find, inspect and negotiate the deal. do we have any members living in or just now moving to cali? if any such member existed, I would consider any money paid to be minor compared to what I would save. I would also have cash available before ever asking.
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
    Oregon being close to Montana is relative, if he's from eastern Montana and the early is in western Oregon, that's about 900 miles as you also have to go thru Idaho. However, I agree, you should take a road trip, enjoy yourself and go see it yourownself. Rust is the number one problem, so check that carefully. These Chevy sixes are easy to fix and cheap to buy. If it doesn't make knocking noises and doesn't smoke, is probably pretty good.
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G10 van not sure if u knew but the baby blue is on Craig's in Montana the one that was on ebay

User Tag List