Thread: Which engine?

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which engine?

Hello all,
    just wondering: what is the most desirable motor/engine for earlies. What makes one engine more desirable than others. Thanks much. G10guy

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Certifiable Vanatic Leroy Jackson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because these vans are pre emissions vehicles, you can let your imagination run wild and your only restriction is how deep your pockets run.

Nobody really cares about "numbers matching" or being period correct. You might never see one of these vans steal the show at a barret Jackson action.

So these vans are really a blank canvas.

So my question for you is what engine would you desire for your van?

Me.. I wouldn't mind a larger over square aluminum block V8 with supercharging, variable cam timing and duel overhead cams.

I would stick with an auto trans, but one with 6-7 gears, lock out converter, trans brake, and ability to manual shift gears.
    The Raped Ape
    1970 G-20 Krylon black
    Swing up cargo doors
    Supercharged 383
    4L80E transmission
    Detroit trutrac rear limited slip

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G10guy View Post
    Hello all,
    just wondering: what is the most desirable motor/engine for earlies. What makes one engine more desirable than others. Thanks much. G10guy
    For your first van, probably a running one.

Since you want a 1st gen, then it will usually have a 6 cyl. the 64-66 van came only with 4 or 6 cyl. V8 was not even an option until 67. The sixes, they are fine engines. Reliable and torquey, very simple and easy to work on. Even if its not running, you can usually get them to run with a little work.

So.. whatever happened with that display van on facebook?
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 08-04-2019 at 03:06 AM.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
    For your first van, probably a running one.

Since you want a 1st gen, then it will usually have a 6 cyl. the 64-66 van came only with 4 or 6 cyl. V8 was not even an option until 67. The sixes, they are fine engines. Reliable and torquey, very simple and easy to work on. Even if its not running, you can usually get them to run with a little work.

So.. whatever happened with that display van on facebook?
    hey kookykrispy, I had my flight booked for Friday and i had an unexpected expense and I had to cancel my flight and had to use the cash that I had saved up for my van. Good news is I might have an approved loan on Monday/tomorrow. If approved Iíll be on the plane either Monday or Tuesday. Say a prayer for me that iíll get approved If the van is still available.g10guy

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G10guy View Post
    hey kookykrispy, I had my flight booked for Friday and i had an unexpected expense and I had to cancel my flight and had to use the cash that I had saved up for my van. Good news is I might have an approved loan on Monday/tomorrow. If approved Iíll be on the plane either Monday or Tuesday. Say a prayer for me that iíll get approved If the van is still available.g10guy
    Looks like you missed out on another, but maybe that's for the best. I'd say a loan for a project is not a good idea. I would just save up as much as you can and then a good van will come along.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

User Tag List