Thread: Several Parts Needed...

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Several Parts Needed...

Just purchased a very nice 66 G10. Now I need to get this thing safe to ride on the road. Long punch list of items that I need. Anyone have any suggestions on good online resources that can fulfill parts? Immediate pressing issues.

1. Steering Box and accompanying linkage, control arms, ball joints...basically want to rebuild the front end.
    2. Emergency Brake Cable
    3. Turn Signal switch & arm assembly.
    4. Mirrors.
    5. Door Handles with Locks.
    6. Wheels/Tires. What is the max size I can fit under this thing to make it feel a little safer.
    7. Seat Belts. Preferably a 3 Point conversion but I would take anything for now.

No idea what I am doing to get started. Looking forward to learning. Just spoke with a mechanic friend who is going to help me with the stuff that is above my pay grade. But he suggested I go on and start sourcing the parts now.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batlou View Post
    Just purchased a very nice 66 G10. Now I need to get this thing safe to ride on the road. Long punch list of items that I need. Anyone have any suggestions on good online resources that can fulfill parts? Immediate pressing issues.

1. Steering Box and accompanying linkage, control arms, ball joints...basically want to rebuild the front end.
    no ball joints, we have king pins. tie rods are readily available and cheap, drag link is a few hundred from rare parts or make one with 2 tie rod ends and threaded tube. you can likely adjust your steering box, adjust the bearing first! large nut on the top, then the side adjustment. check your spring bushings while your replacing everything else. https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/ste...html?3594=2103 https://shop.rareparts.com/search?ye...&model=G10-VAN before swapping rims, you should get steering correct first, see my thread on wheel offset and avoid the self induced nightmare I went threw.
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, great information. I will start looking now. Found a shop that is going to adopt it for now to get the major safety issues fixed first. Dropping it off on Monday.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rareparts is the only place I know with the drag link, ALL the other parts can be had for less.
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a spare steering box if you need it

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Several Parts Needed...

If you find your the king pin bushings are worn over size - you can go to brass. I have a large adjustable hand reamer for the job.

Also for your reference:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rod Assy - Center link 6.870 3854941.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	40076
    Gary
    1965 Display

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Batlou View Post

2. Emergency Brake Cable
    3. Turn Signal switch & arm assembly.
    4. Mirrors.
    5. Door Handles with Locks.
    6. Wheels/Tires. What is the max size I can fit under this thing to make it feel a little safer.
    7. Seat Belts. Preferably a 3 Point conversion but I would take anything for now.

No idea what I am doing to get started. Looking forward to learning. Just spoke with a mechanic friend who is going to help me with the stuff that is above my pay grade. But he suggested I go on and start sourcing the parts now.
    Welcome Batlou

IMHO
    1. Have the front end checked for looseness before you buy/replace items you may not need. The steering box and kingpins are typically the items most likely to contribute to excessive steering play.
    2. There was a recent post on a brake cable supplier. Guys, who was that?
    3. The turn signal switch is readily available at Brothers unless you are talking about the large strap on type.
    4. There are several styles of exterior mirrors. Check the photo forum and see which style you like, post up the needed type then I'm sure someone will have a set they would part with.
    5. Exterior front door handles with the lock in the button or side and rear door handles?
    6. I'm not sure how big you can go but there is a thread on that, use the search function or maybe someone knows that off the top of the head.
    7. The Humvee 3 point harness was popular some time ago. I got mine on Ebay.

BTW, do you have any pics of your van that you could post?
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary