Thread: Why no Corvairs?

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why no Corvairs?

Hey guys, lurker and aspiring VC owner, and an ad caught my eye the other day. There's a '62 Corvair Greenbrier van in the NYC area that is currently out of my budget but may not be in the near future, and being in Buffalo, it is not so far away. Link here:

https://longisland.craigslist.org/ct...939824013.html

Anyway, two questions: first, I get the fact that third gen vans are decidedly more modern, so let them have their own forums. But why not Corvair vans here? They're even more vintage vintage Chevy vans. Is it just a preference thing? An SBC thing?

Second, the van in the link appears to be pretty dope to my untrained eye. Anyone have any input/anyone in the NYC area interested in taking a look at it? I can't honestly say I'm a contender to purchase it but if someone is bored and wants to go vet it, and it stays up for a few more paychecks I might be in a position to jump on it...

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Gosh, Where Do I start?

The Corvairs do predate the 1st gen vans but they are just so dissimilar and very few items interchange. And if we did invite the Corvair vans in, well, then it might start a stampede. The next thing you know you'd have the air cooled, 90 degree fan belt guys on one side and the radiator capped, propeller shaft guys on the other. It would lead to pandemonium! Just like Bill Murray said on Ghost Busters.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corvair vans, 3rd gens, and any other non-VCV are welcome in the "off-topic" area of the forum

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
    Corvair vans, 3rd gens, and any other non-VCV are welcome in the "off-topic" area of the forum
    Sorry bout that, didn't realize there even was an off topic section!

But otherwise, just staying specific, got it. So... Any takers on checking out that Greenbrier anyway?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When our club started, there were already clubs and/or websites focusing on Corvairs and other early van makes. There was no home for early Chevy G vans, and Id just bought one. Our club began as a way to fill a void for camaraderie and information. There is still a Corvair club out there, but the Dodge and Ford pages faded with time. Years later, another page started to fill the vacancy.

We didnt start out as an effort to be exclusionary. Over time, weve appeared that way since none of the clubs and websites grew and/or survived.

That being said, it would be odd for us to refocus our vision after 22 years.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

User Tag List