Thread: Question about shift issue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about shift issue

The last three times I went out in the van, I have had issues when putting it into reverse. It seems to be fine with all the other shifting, but it has been difficult to get into reverse... grinds if forced.
    The question is... what is possibly the problem? The clutch, the reverse gear in transmission, the synchro between?
    I have little to no knowledge, can you guys suggest what maybe wrong. I have had the transmission fluid checked recently. It does not always do it, but it has been doing it more often. Thanks
    Jacke

1964 GMC Handi-Van Custom 350
    1971 Ford Mustang 302
    1957 Karman Ghia Project

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its the original 3 speed muncie, I don't think reverse has any synchros. One thing I do is if I get a grind going into reverse, I put it in first to align the gears, then back into reverse.

Also, make sure your clutch pushrod is properly adjusted so it is fully disengaging the clutch when you depress the pedal. As the clutch wears over time, you may need to adjust it to ensure it is fully disengaging from the flywheel.

Another thing to check is your shift linkage alignment. Down on the shifter base (on the front of the steering box) is a place where you can insert a small phillips head screwdriver to line up the shifter in neutral. With the screwdriver installed, now go to the transmission and adjust the linkage at the trans as necessary so the transmission levers are lined up perfectly in neutral.

Try those two adjustments, and hopefully it will fix it, or at least make it better.
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 08-17-2019 at 11:48 PM.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about shift issue

I have to say "Ditto" - Put the trans mission into first gear before going to reverse - that will be a big help
    Gary
    1965 Display

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks... maybe that is why it does not always happen?
    Jacke

1964 GMC Handi-Van Custom 350
    1971 Ford Mustang 302
    1957 Karman Ghia Project

User Tag List