Thread: Rear ending swap

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear ending swap

My 69 g20 6lug rear passenger side backing plate on the rear wheel hub is destroyed as if the rear wheel fell off and it was dragged on the road.... I am planning to replace the entire rear end with a known good one with higher performance in mind... Can anybody offer any suggestions on which Chevy rear end from any other donor vehicle will work? Thanks a lot for any help.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only rear end that will "bolt in" to a '67-70 Chevy/GMC van is from another 67-70 chevy/GMC van. There is no other rear axle that will interchange. So, to use any other vehicle rear (including a 1st gen van rear), you'll need to do some fabricating to weld on new spring perches and shock mounts.

I have the 8.2" 10 bolt rear that just came out of my '68 Camaro. Its in great shape. 3.08 gears, which are great for the freeway. You would need to weld on spring perches and shock mounts to use it in the van. It is 5 lug. Its about 1" shorter on either side than the van rear axle, so you would have the benefit of being able to fit more tire under the fender with standard offset wheels. It has drum brakes, but they probably need a rebuild and new brake drums. I'll take $200 for it. I also have spare 5 lug front hubs if you want to do a full 5 lug conversion. You could then do a front disc upgrade while you're at it.

If you want to stick with 6 lug, you could use a rear axle out of a 1/2 ton 4x4 70's or early-mid 80's chevy truck or blazer/suburban. They use the same 6 lug bolt pattern as your g20. Maybe swap the front axle too and convert to 4x4! I know a guy selling a set of 70's-80's chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 axles for pretty cheap. I could give you his number.

Where in California are you located? Consider adding your city to your location. This is a big state and it makes it easier to network locally if you let people know where you live.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
    The only rear end that will "bolt in" to a '67-70 Chevy/GMC van is from another 67-70 chevy/GMC van. There is no other rear axle that will interchange. So, to use any other vehicle rear (including a 1st gen van rear), you'll need to do some fabricating to weld on new spring perches and shock mounts.

I have the 8.2" 10 bolt rear that just came out of my '68 Camaro. Its in great shape. 3.08 gears, which are great for the freeway. You would need to weld on spring perches and shock mounts to use it in the van. It is 5 lug. Its about 1" shorter on either side than the van rear axle, so you would have the benefit of being able to fit more tire under the fender with standard offset wheels. It has drum brakes, but they probably need a rebuild and new brake drums. I'll take $200 for it. I also have spare 5 lug front hubs if you want to do a full 5 lug conversion. You could then do a front disc upgrade while you're at it.

If you want to stick with 6 lug, you could use a rear axle out of a 1/2 ton 4x4 70's or early-mid 80's chevy truck or blazer/suburban. They use the same 6 lug bolt pattern as your g20. Maybe swap the front axle too and convert to 4x4! I know a guy selling a set of 70's-80's chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 axles for pretty cheap. I could give you his number.

Where in California are you located? Consider adding your city to your location. This is a big state and it makes it easier to network locally if you let people know where you live.
    the 3/4 spindle is different than the 1/2 ton so swapping the hubs will not work, 3/4 ton axle is different than the 1/2 ton as well, I would think that the complete axle should swap.
    54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
    64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
    69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panelmanrd View Post
    the 3/4 spindle is different than the 1/2 ton so swapping the hubs will not work, 3/4 ton axle is different than the 1/2 ton as well, I would think that the complete axle should swap.
    I have one half ton spindle. Do not have the other. I was not aware that the front axle was different too, but if that is the case, I have a 1/2 ton axle. Just need to find another 1/2 spindle from someone to complete the swap

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe just get a new backing plate? They are the same as the pickup
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

The main issue with swapping any rear end housings on these vans is .These rear end housings are longer /wider,backing plate to backing plate/drum to drum.
    The over all length is close to an 1 1/2 or so,longer.
    How ever a 6 lug backing plate from a late mode truck might inter change.
    Late model 3rd Gen Vans also have the longer over all length rear end housings in them...
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

User Tag List