Thread: G20 Front Drum alternative option

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G20 Front Drum alternative option

I've been trying to come up with a plan for the inevitable end of life of my 67 G20 front Drums.

This week I am starting a front end rebuild of king pins, tie rods, sway bar links, spring bushings and shocks. And to finish it off, a steering box rebuild/replacement.

But what I really need to do is find a solution to my front drum situation.

Has anyone tried rear drums from a K series truck, like, for example a 1974 4x4 Blazer. The drums are 11.150 in. Diameter, 2.750 in. Shoe Width and a 6x5.5 bolt pattern.

I know the G20 brake shoes are 11.15 x 2.81.

Has anyone tried something like a Bendix PDR0600
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ben-pdr0600

Thanks,
    Mike B.
    Tempe, AZ

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no replacement for the G20 drum. I searched and searched, but maybe you will have better luck? No one is making a disc brake conversion either. I tried two different shops and neither would resurface my drums due to tolerances. There is a well known huge vintage auto salvage in Fresno and I talked to the owner hoping to find a healthier set. He did not have any but told me to go ahead and keep using mine, they are so thick to begin with. It took several trips around town for the new shoes to seat in and stopped screeching. Your best bet if you have the skill is to engineer a disc conversion for G20's, or use a five lug axle and hub set so you can get an M1Dadio disc set or at least new drums, but I think you would need custom springs to match that. Pretty sure the G20 six lug springs and axle are unique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    69 g20. Parts came from 88 gm 3/4 and a diy caliper bracket. Rear axel redrilled to match 5 on 5 bolt pattern
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-20161015-00463.jpg  

User Tag List