Thread: Z/28 Wheels

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Z/28 Wheels

I got a line on some local 1970's Z/28 wheels which I have always loved. The ones pictured below are from eBay if you want em. I'm currently running American Racing Torque Thrusts that are 14" rims with P225/70R14 Cooper Cobras.

1st, will the Z28 wheels work OK on the van? They are the same bolt pattern. And #2 , how will them being 15" wheels affect the look of the van? Will I just need to get lower profile tires, or is this going to fill in the wheel wells more and make it look funky?

And one ore thing - In the future I plan to have a spring shop de-arch the leaf springs 2" to lower the stance a bit. So that is also a consideration.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z28.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	40313

Name:	the van.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	40314

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanSandy View Post
    I got a line on some local 1970's Z/28 wheels which I have always loved. The ones pictured below are from eBay if you want em. I'm currently running American Racing Torque Thrusts that are 14" rims with P225/70R14 Cooper Cobras.

1st, will the Z28 wheels work OK on the van? They are the same bolt pattern. And #2 , how will them being 15" wheels affect the look of the van? Will I just need to get lower profile tires, or is this going to fill in the wheel wells more and make it look funky?

And one ore thing - In the future I plan to have a spring shop de-arch the leaf springs 2" to lower the stance a bit. So that is also a consideration.

Name:	z28.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	40313

Name:	the van.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	40314
    I use to have a set of these wheels on my 68/108 they were 15 the looked very at home on the van, I ran 255/60 on the rear and 215/65 on the front, the only bad thing with these wheels is they are easy to bend, once bent they will wobble and take a lot of weight to balance. but the looked very nice
    54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
    64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
    69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panelmanrd View Post
    I use to have a set of these wheels on my 68/108 they were 15 the looked very at home on the van, I ran 255/60 on the rear and 215/65 on the front, the only bad thing with these wheels is they are easy to bend, once bent they will wobble and take a lot of weight to balance. but the looked very nice
    I'm glad you mentioned the bending part because I'm a little nervous about how to tell if these old used wheels are straight. Two are mounted on newish tires, the other two mounted on old worn tires. I plan to go check them out this weekend.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it`s hard to tell if they are bent without spinning them on something watching the edge of the wheel
    there were 3 bent out of the 4 that I had. They werent bent bad but still bent.
    54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
    64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
    69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are the same bolt pattern as the 5 lugs 64-70 vans. These are very cool wheels and hard to find. I do not think they are being reproduced, but I believe you still can get the correct beauty rings for them. 15's will look great and will provide you greater selection of tires, and also additional clearance for disc brakes.

Regarding lowering the van, I was dearched 1.5" up front on my '65 Hella Sunshine. I ran 225/60r15 on 15x7 cragars (same size as the Z28 rims) up front and worked the front corner of the inner wheel opening in with a hammer so they would not rub. You could also run 215/65r15 up front. Rear tires will not be a problem thanks to the large wheel wells out back. I have some near-new BFG radial T/A 255/60r15 for sale that you could run on the rears. PM me if you're interested, I will make you a deal.

I had the Z/28 wheels on my SS Chevelle years ago. They were also correct for 71-72 Chevelle SS:

Name:	l_8b049424900f2199222d11c2757d38bd.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	40317
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 08-31-2019 at 12:05 PM.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

As stated by KK that is a nice looking GM rally wheel.
    It is a good factory steel wheel.Chrome acorn style lug nut & a trim ring will finish them off nicely.
    There is usually a good reason a set of wheels where taken off or a car or truck..
    IF you want to run a taller tire but the same size on all four corners of the Van a taller side wall tire will do this job nicely..
    A 65 series tire will have a taller side wall.Too tall, and some minor fender well adjustment will be needed..
    I ran a set of 16 inch Camaro Z28 rallies on the "Beast" that cleared the stock fender wells and made the van ride the best it ever had.
    I like the big & little look.I went with my GM rallies when I was able to swing the cash for a new set of tires..
    Decisions,decisions.....

Name:	updated look.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	40318

Last edited by Wookee; 09-01-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the tips. I still have not decided on whether to pull the trigger. If fact I need to check in and see if he still has them. I got sidetracked on some housework and decided to take Old Sandy in to the muffler shop on Friday. Now the 250 no longer sounds like a big fart when I hit the gas going up a hill, and idles almost silent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took me awhile to put a set together but they worked out pretty well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BabyBlue05med.jpg  

User Tag List