Thread: Seat Belts

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seat Belts

Does anyone have any pictures of an original 1st Gen Sportvan rear bench seat with seat belts? I just installed the bench seat I kept from my 108 into the back and need to install at least basic lap belts before anyone rides there. I see these holes which appear to be for securing belts, the one on the rear driver side wheel well in particular. I included a photo of the underside of the wheel well. I didn't have any spare bolts laying around that fit (after blowing out copious amounts of dirt with a can of air). There are four total, one on the DS wheel well, three on the floor over the gas tank, so can't see what is underneath them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190902_135132.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	40322

Name:	20190902_135134.jpg 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	40323

Name:	20190902_135226.jpg 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	40324

Name:	20190902_135139.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	40325

Name:	20190902_135144.jpg 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	40326

Also, the 1st Gen does not have factory threaded roof rail holes for a three point system like a 2nd Gen. How have people hooked up three point systems, especially without wrecking the Sport van window moldings?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do believe those are factory seat belt points. Seat belts were required by the govt. in all vehicles starting in 1966, so that is usually the first year you see signs of them in our old vans.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seat Belts

What year van?

old eBay photo:

Name:	Seatbelt 14.875 986394 Deluxe G 12 Sub.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	40340
    Gary
    1965 Display

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if those rubber pieces are just plugs, I plan to dig one out and see. I'm thinking maybe vehicles were built to have seatbelts as options for a few years before they became mandatory? This van was sold new in late 1965, and is a 1966 model. It is titled as a 1965, maybe that was a later error after it sat at some point, who knows. I don't know any history on it other than I bought it in Santa Clarita in 2012, it was purchased new in a small CA town east of there.

Also - if anyone has pics or advice on how to attach the upper portion of three points belts on a first gen I'd love to see them.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seat Belts

Well in 1965 belts were making an appearance; trucks had an option see below.:
    For the van, I would bet you would find them listed in the 1966 Custom Feature Accessories book.

Name:	Custom Features Accessories for 1965 Page 3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	40344

Wikipedia stated "Title 49 of the United States Code, Chapter 301, Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, which took effect on January 1, 1968, that required all vehicles (except buses) to be fitted with seat belts in all designated seating positions"
    Gary
    1965 Display

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanSandy View Post
    Also - if anyone has pics or advice on how to attach the upper portion of three points belts on a first gen I'd love to see them.
    Van Sandy
    IMHO, you would need to get creative to install an upper mount for a 3 point harness. That is, if you don't want to cut into that hard to find fiberglass. I do not advise cutting the fiberglass. While I have not measured it, you may be able to make an upside down U shaped mount that slips behind the fiberglass and then provides the third point on the harness. The fiberglass panels could be shimmed slightly at the top to accommodate the width of the mount. That may allow for little or no trimming of the fiberglass. The mounting point would likely include a plate behind the fiberglass and interior roof rail to spread out the load. If you are going to regularly carry passengers, it is a worthwhile investment of time and money.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 108VanGuy View Post
    Van Sandy
    IMHO, you would need to get creative to install an upper mount for a 3 point harness. That is, if you don't want to cut into that hard to find fiberglass..
    Good point on the fiberglass as it is old and brittle. Your U shape bracket is giving me some ideas. I was definitely thinking of adding a plate to shore up the sheet metal, then weld on a nut to run a bolt into...

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so I dug out one of the plastic pieces and I was correct, they are plugs. Once I had all the dust out they take 7/16 fine thread bolts, just like some of the other factory holes in the floor that have been in use for various things - PO had rigged up strap rackets for Vespas.

User Tag List