Thread: Time to re-home the Sportsvan

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Time to re-home the Sportsvan

Well after much soul searching the decision has been made, need to find a new home for her. As this is somewhat emotional I will give some history about this rare van.

My love for the rolling boxes came in 1983 when I rescued a 1966 delivery van (now being rebuilt by Kooky). Had much work to do on this scrap yard project from the tires/brakes to the engine. After this was done I spent many miles on I5 going to LA and work and back to Salem Oregon. Put on about 150,000 miles during this time. At the time this only had a 12-gallon tank with only a useable amount of 10 gallons due to someone prior to me. Always had a 2 gal spare gas can, had to use it only once. Spent much time looking for how to add another larger tank.

It was in 1987 or so that I met Don Picken from Molalla Oregon. He was renting an apartment to an elderly lady who owned a 1966 Sportvan. Well after I spotted this van had two saddle tanks and looked like it wanted to donate those saddle tanks to my current roadrunner (Old Yellow). Then in 1992 Don told me of the passing of the owner. After the funeral my friend Don called me, said that her daughter was selling off her stuff. She asked if Don knew anybody was interested in the van.

Well it did not take a New York minute to say I would be right over and talk about it. We agreed on $200.00 price, which I paid immediately, my eyes on those tanks. This great old van started right up but was smoking a ton of black smoke. As I knew these Chevy engines were indestructible it was driven home blowing smoke all the way. But I knew that I still had the tanks. After getting securely in my driveway I went to work by putting a quart of diesel in the oil to loosen up the deposits. After bout 3 quarts of diesel nothing would calm the smoke. No problem because I had those tanks.

Then the decision was made to change the oil and see if that could work. Took the oil pan plug and nothing acme out, the hole was completely blocked. Then I rammed a long screwdriver in there and out came a solidified bunch of oil. Now this needed some further looking into, still had my eyes on those tanks. After getting her over to a friends shop we pulled the pan off and was amazed at what was found. The oil was completely solidified and was smooth where the rods created a very shiny path. When attempting to remove the original GM filter, it was frozen stuck the oil was never changed.

It was about the time to call my friend Don, as he knew the history very well. He rented to the lady from the time she bought it. You see the mileage was about 58,000 miles, which I was sure was a roll over and had 158,000 miles. Don then told me that the van had not moved in over 10 years. Then I put together the GM original oil filter, she never changed it in those 58K miles.

After cleaning off the Oregon green moss found out that she was not molested and had all the “bling” parts intact. See how many events come together all for the good, just takes time. It was never been in an accident plus being driven only in the country. Now what to do was the question do I strip all the bling and sell off her bling and remove the tanks. After all this is what I purchased it for THE TANKS! It did not take me long to make the decision needed to restore her. Old Yellow would need to wait for Kooky I guess.

Now we pulled the engine and sent it off to S & J Engines in Spokane Washington. They rebuilt the engine supplied, as I wanted to keep the original engine as it came from the factory. This worked out very well as when installed it ran with about 30 pounds of oil pressure at a slow idle. S & J Engines web site (https://www.sandjengines.com), they did a great job highly recommended.

Here is what she looked like after the first painting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sptvan66.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	40382

Now it was on to the body because after cleaning up the scum found some minor rock dings and such. Then after I amassed a few bucks, put her into a shop for painting! What a mistake that was a total rip off, he thought it was a lifetime employment opportunity. This went on for a couple of years, needed to have a serious Chicago talk with the painter. He was finished in a few short weeks. After this expensive mistake, it looked good but had many bad parts that needed to be redone correctly. This would need to wait until my financial resources were in better shape. Drove her for a couple thousand miles to break in the engine on the road.

This was the time that we had the “Left Coast” rally here in southern Oregon. I drove Old Yellow, my Sportvan was driven by a VCVC member (Forgot his name). That was a great experience that is needed more on the West Coast.

Name:	Image014.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	40392

Then the van languished some in the driveway until the finances could be straightened out. It needed some serious interior work to be done and I am not the one to do that.

Here is some examples of the interior work done by Pacific Auto Trim (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Upholstery-by-Pacific-Auto-Trim/122529274472647). They are a great shop doing many “minor” details that required much ingenuity.

Name:	V14.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	40388

Attachment 40387

Name:	V10.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	40393

About 3 years ago that happened and it was back to work on her. The first thing done was ordering about $1600.00 worth of rubber gaskets, hopefully having these gaskets would inspire me to continue with the restoring. It was mission accomplished after much detail work. Some of the detail work was in the plastic emblems and rubber parts, both were not available at the time. Here is a list of parts redone or installed:

Name:	A 016.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	40389

1. Both plastic DELUXE emblems were recast and painted
    2. The side and back door rubber bumpers were remade in the garage.
    3. Trailer hitch was installed with it being somewhat hidden.
    4. A rear seat was located and rebuilt complete with the chrome ash treys.
    5. My old rear seat was rebuilt as it pulls down into an almost queen size bed.
    6. Installed some new keyhole brackets for repositioning the rear seats.
    7. Installed a new in the box old original type carburetor.
    8. Installed a stainless fuel line from the pump to the carburetor.
    9. Two new front bumper guards were found and chrome plated.
    10. Rebuilt window lifts.
    11. New rear seat clamps constructed.
    12. 5 new tires.

All the chrome parts were then removed and sent off to the chrome shop where they were redone. They did a great job just not a cheap thing these days. Even had the license plates rebuilt, repainted and restored. Now this van has “Forever” license plates, never to need to pay money for them any longer.

The front cockpit area was redone, refurbished to an as new condition. This included a new firewall insulation piece. The dash pad was also recovered plus original type seat belts were installed. A New in the box AM radio and antenna were found and installed. It also had a new windshield installed. A local shop professionally did the interior. They did a great job with many details, restoring it as close to possible in my budget (My understanding wife assisted in the finance).

Name:	A 014.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	40390

Name:	A 015.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	40391

There are a few things left to tidy up on her, PM or email me (freflyte@q.com). I will let you know what they are. Nothing big just some things I cannot get to.

Now after shooting myself in the foot I cannot drive her any longer. I went to the pay by mile insurance company as it reduced my rates in over half. But the downside was that it only covers the daily driver my 2007 Chevy pickup truck. So rather that putting the burden on my wife to sell her after my time is through I need to get her a new home. This van needs to have a new home by someone who appreciates these great vans.

So I am asking VCVC folks to assist in how to accomplish this as painless as possible. There are no comparable vans like her that could be found. Hate to see her go on epay or any other auction site. So I am doing the responsible thing attempting to get it to a good home. They’re are some recent prices of vans like this one but have been Scooby Doo rebuilds or re-engined or other similar major items. If I cannot be driven it is time to sell it.

So the question is should she be on epay’s auction block for $99.00 with no reserve or a private sale? If out on epay one would know what it is actually worth when the auction is over. But this way the price could go way up or down but we would know what it is actually worth. That is a gamble for sure and just might do it if necessary. I believe that we all would like to know what the actual worth is for such a rare van.

My heartfelt thank you to Smiley and the VCVC site, it has been a place that is filled with inspiration and good will. When I wear that original VCVC Tee shirt from 1998 it gives me some great feelings for the community. That goes for all the needed assistance in making this site a great Chevy van site. Looking for suggestions for the re-homing with open ears.

It now seems that facebook has most of the attention but I have never gone on that site other than one post to the granddaughter. Plus I do not have a smart phone and do not want one; the Internet is my only other method of communicating with the outside world.

“Lucky”Chucky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A 007.jpg   A 040.jpg  
    Last edited by LuckyChucky; 09-13-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    "Lucky"Chucky

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyChucky View Post

So the question is should she be on epay’s auction block for $99.00 with no reserve or a private sale? If out on epay one would know what it is actually worth when the auction is over. But this way the price could go way up or down but we would know what it is actually worth. That is a gamble for sure and just might do it if necessary. I believe that we all would like to know what the actual worth is for such a rare van.

Whenever I have sold a speciality vehicle, I listed it on Ebay starting at .99 with no reserve. The key here is to provide as many clear detailed photographs as possible with an extensive and thorough item description. My sales on ebay were always what I felt was "true market value" and I have been happy with the ending price. It is a gamble and takes big balls to put something up for a true no reserve auction because you have no idea what it might sell for. For me, that's part of the fun.

For this van, since it is so wonderfully restored, I might consider Barret-Jackson or Mecum auction. It is my feeling that one of these professional auctions might garner even more interest for the van and bring a higher price for it than eBay. Another option is a consignment through one of the classic car dealerships either in your local portland area, or even consider shipping it to one of the classic car dealerships in the Los Angeles area so it can be sold in their showroom.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, what a beautiful van! That dash makes me want to cry since I've sliced mine up, wish I could go back to original.

Glad to hear you had success with S&J engines in Spokane. I'm planning to have them build me a 383 stroker for the '94 Suburban. I have a good friend and master mechanic lined up to install it.
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

This is a very nice Sport Van Deluxe.
    I have admired it for years now.
    Good luck on your sale.
    I hope you get what you are asking for her......

Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scooby like !!!
    email sent from pac NW

Hi 5
    Forumite since 2001 before my moniker was cliche'

VAN DU'JOUR "ZONKERS" 1969 PANEL 90 307 TH350

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN..
    1967 PANEL 90 250 3SP
    1967 PANEL 108 283 3SP (CAUGHT ON FIRE THEN SWAPPED THE 292) - MY FAVE
    1965 PARRALELAGRAM (ROLLED) 292 3SP
    1968 PANEL 90 230 3SP

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Auto Trader Classics maybe? That way you get a national audience.

I like the high end auction ideas, but how much commission do they take?

Such a great van, it is what mine is supposed to be but will probably never get there.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool The Re-Homing project

Hello fellow VCVC'rs,

Wish to thank all for the posts on the subject. I have checked out most of the suggestions and found some things. For the big guys auctions they cost a bunch up front, plus the van needs to be shipped and other expenses involved. The up front costs are prohibited for my meager budget, they want you to be there for the auction. More expenses and as I am my wife's caregiver p0uts me out of the picture.

Now for the positive. The main reason I posted the information on it is to just maybe find her a new good home. It is more than money to me if it gets someone who will take care of her. Just like the 66 I sold to Kooky, I knew it would be going yo a good home, he is doing a great job on that. So as I am not in a hurry to sell her will give it some additional time to see what will happen.

It has drawn a good amount of response where it is advertised now. Some "tire kickers" and two scammers responded. Will look into additional places with a similar format.

Thanks once again and any and all comments are appreciated.

"Lucky"Chucky
    "Lucky"Chucky

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear end

Here is a picture of her rear end... pun intended! Have had some folks want to know what it was, 10 or 12 bolt, it is a 10 bolt. It was fully inspected, cleaned and new grease put in about 100 miles ago.

Name:	A 017X.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	40501

"Lucky"Chucky
    "Lucky"Chucky

User Tag List