Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: drag link connection

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookee View Post
    The stands can be located on each side of the axle .
    Just inside of the drivers side spring pack will be fine.
    The passenger side can be right under the spring pack it's self...
    Agreed - my question though was can this be done with the wheels on the ground, or rather, weight on the suspension. Or, do I need to have the axle hanging. Sounds like I can do it with the wheels on the ground. With wheel chucks of course!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

If you feel more comfortable working like that. It could be swapped out on the ground..
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so the job is going well so far, new drag link is in place, pictures to follow. And yes, definitely had to pull the pitman arm to do that. Pulling the pitman arm was easy but the clutch pedal lever location made it pretty tight.

Anyway, on to the tie rod ends. Ended up having to buy a single pickle fork because all the ones in the free parts store rental set were too wide for the tie rod ends. But that was OK because I ended up using it as a breaker bar to get the old parts out. Once they were half way out it was much easier.

Question: I am getting ready to clean out the inside threads of the track bar with a brass pipe cleaner as putting in the new tie rod ends went very smooth at first by hand, but once around half way in was getting not so easy. To get them all the way in to the thread count of the old ones, am I going to have to use the pickle fork or large crescent wrench as it gets tighter? I don't know how difficult the turns should be and I don't want to mess up the track bar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old tie rod.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	40519

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drag link connection

I bet you are working against the tie rod end being rusty & passing through the threads. I don't think there is any place to get rust penatrant back there. Anyway, do spray the rod down with a pure rust peneatant & let it sit; you may get some wicking down the threads.

Take the easiest side off then dump some peneatrant down the pipe and let it sit before pulling that one off.

my 2
    Gary
    1965 Display

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfleduc View Post
    I bet you are working against the tie rod end being rusty & passing through the threads. I don't think there is any place to get rust penatrant back there. Anyway, do spray the rod down with a pure rust peneatant & let it sit; you may get some wicking down the threads.

Take the easiest side off then dump some peneatrant down the pipe and let it sit before pulling that one off.

my 2
    I think the threads only go in a couple of inches, the compressed part of the pipe with the slit cut in it. Anyway, I sprayed the crap out of it with WD40 and rotated the brass pipe cleaner from Harbor Freight (perfect size was in a 5 piece brass and stainless set) a few times then "rinsed" with more WD40. It worked. Still had to use a crescent wrench on the tie rod end with a vice grip on the bar but it was more like tightening a bolt and didn't require a lot of force.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so the job is done. Still have to put the new zerks in the drag link and get a grease gun to get all the rubber boots full. Steering is much improved on the very short test drive. I was hoping it would be more dramatic like "holy crap this is like an Indy car!!" but it is definitely way tighter.

Both the old tie rod ends were bent, one way worse. That was the passenger side and it's probably been that way since the van sideswiped something hard way before I purchased it. So that may have been some of my steering issues. Next step is to take it in for an alignment and I will have them install new shocks as well.

Pics or it didn't happen...

Name:	20191005_175016.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	40520

Name:	20191005_174626.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	40521

Name:	20191004_144727.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	40522

Name:	20191004_105147.jpg 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	40523

Name:	20191005_141044.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	40524

Name:	20191005_141048.jpg 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	40525

Name:	20191005_174908.jpg 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	40526

Name:	20191005_174947.jpg 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	40527

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking Good

Fine job!
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

User Tag List