Thread: 69 3 on the tree shifter problems

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 3 on the tree shifter problems

Hi, i have a 69 with a straight 6 and the three on the tree setup, and the shifter seems all lose, 1st and reverse barely go in, and im always on the floor playing with the linkage to get the shifter to work. I went to the mechanic and he said the bushings and linkage on the actual shifter need replacing. Spent a few days going through every catalog and calling places and cant seem to find where to get this stuff. Has anybody had similar problems? I cant even find what transmision it is i have. What should i do? And where can i find these parts? I dont wanna have to resort to putting a shifter on the floor, seems hard and expensive. Any help would be appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the Advanced Search feature on this site (upper right hand corner). I just did and found this for you:

http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/2...hifter+linkage

I used keywords "shifter linkage"..........plenty more threads in addition to the above
    Last edited by SteelyVan; 10-26-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum!!!

Hello! And welcome to VCVC!!

The factory 3 speed transmission in 1969 was a saginaw.

First thing to do is to make sure the shifter rods are properly adjusted to neutral. Place the transmission in neutral and then loosen the 1/R and 2/3 shift rods at the transmission. Use a small phillips screwdriver to align the shifter. You will need to remove your belly pan to get at the base of the shifter. At the base of the shifter, on the front of the steering box, you will find the two shift levers. The bottom lever is for 2/3 and the top is for 1/Reserve. The levers each have a small alignment hole near the shifter body, and also corresponding holes in the shifter body itself. You slide the screwdriver into these holes, and this aligns the shifter in the neutral position. With the screwdriver in place, now go back to the transmission and adjust the shift rods so the trans is still in neutral, and the shifter is in neutral. Tighten the adjuster rods once both the transmission and the shifter are in the neutral position. Now remove the screwdriver and shift through the gears and make sure they all operate smoothly. If anything is hanging up or not shifting smoothly, now adjust the shift rods as necessary to get everything working the best it can.

Replacing the bushings is a great idea, and usually all our vans needs this after 50 years of wear. But even with wasted shift bushings, the above method should at least allow you to drive around.

I got GM shifter bushings from Macsdoghouse before. I think he had a source for them at one time. You could try calling him and ask if he has any more. Mac's Auto Glass. Robertsdale, AL 251-228-2744 http://macsautoglassal.com

I think 108vanguy was, or possibly still is, reproducing the U-shape bushings that fit into the frame bracket and the shift rods ride in. Contact him via PM and ask if he has any. He also may have a source or a part number for the shifter bushings.
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 10-26-2019 at 09:35 PM.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

User Tag List