Thread: Need door wire looms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need door wire looms

I'm look for at least one, hopefully two, OEM door wire looms for my cargo doors. See picture for what I'm looking for. Also, if anyone has any of, or can point me to where I can get, the door grommets/pass throughs to go with them would be awesome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1966 Chevy Van Door wire loom.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	40959

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
    I'm look for at least one, hopefully two, OEM door wire looms for my cargo doors. See picture for what I'm looking for. Also, if anyone has any of, or can point me to where I can get, the door grommets/pass throughs to go with them would be awesome
    These loom are little more than storm door springs

Lots of choices here - - - I would use the very last set
    https://www.summitracing.com/search?...SAAEgLwlfD_BwE

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome

Welcome ShawnM.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joyrde View Post
    These loom are little more than storm door springs

Lots of choices here - - - I would use the very last set
    https://www.summitracing.com/search?...SAAEgLwlfD_BwE
    Thanks. I do already have something similar. I am trying to stay as original equipment as I can, so still seeking original style looms

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen guys use these from a 3rd gen van out of the salvage yard, basically same part. Happy hunting.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
    Thanks. I do already have something similar. I am trying to stay as original equipment as I can, so still seeking original style looms
    Here is the problem.
    The "correct" factory style door loom in not being manufactured ...Yet.
    How ever you can get creative with after market parts & Fabricate a similar loom your self.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still on a mission

Thanks Guys. I did find one at a salvage yard, but ended up pinching it when clsoing the door.

So, in an effort to try to restore close to original I have ordered this copper tubing bending springs kit with assorted sizes. Took me a while to remember where I had seen a spring similar to the loom on the vans. They have the flare at one end like the original door loom. I'll let you know how I make out.

Name:	Door Loom idea.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	40992
    Last edited by ShawnM; 12-10-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using a spring tube bender as a wire loom.

As promised, I am updating on my attempt to use a spring type tube bender as a wire loom for my rear cargo door, to allow for a speaker in the rear door and to replicate the NOS loom on the secondary door. I ordered and then installed the tube bender shown in my previous message. I found it worked real well; until I spray painted it black to match the NOS loom. Seems the paint made it sticky/abrasive/rough enough that the loom didn't want to slide in and out of the door smoothly, so it binds up. Next I tried applying silicone to the spring and also the grommet at the door. For one it dissolved the paint , but it also seems to have done the trick. The loom may not be black but it does now slide in and out pretty well. I am still cautious so I have been watching it each time. I would imagine it would make sense to reapply silicone here and there.

Here is what I did and I learned from doing it:
    • I used the 3/8 bender from the kit I ordered.
    • Other than the tube bender I was able to find these parts at my local hardware store, they have a great selection of stuff...
    • Assuming you are installing new grommets at the door and door jamb: the rubber grommet at the door jamb needs to be just the right size to snugly hold the end of the loom in the door jamb securely so it stays in place as you open and close the door.
    • The grommet at the door must be oversized to allow the loom to slide in and out as you open and close the door. I also found and used a plastic sleeve that fit snugly and securely into the rubber grommet to act as a smooth channel for the loom to slide in and out of, as the loom will catch/bind on just a rubber grommet. So the rubber grommet must tightly hold the plastic sleeve in place.
    • I used step bits and kept trying until I had just the right size holes so the grommets would install and would also hold both the loom at the jamb and the plastic sleeve securely in place.
    • Lining up the holes on both the door and jamb, perfectly, is very important or everything will bind. I drilled the hole in the jamb first, about the size of a pencil diameter. Then I passed a pencil through the hole to mark the exact center for the hole on the door. Then I played with bit sizes until I had the right diameters on both holes.
    • Painting the tube bender made it too sticky to work.
    • Applying silicone to the bender and plastic sleeve made it slide in and out nicely.

Loom and grommet with plastic sleeve for door:

Name:	IMG_2521.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	41787

Name:	IMG_2522.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	41788

Name:	IMG_2523.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	41789

Grommet at door jamb must hold the loom in place securely:

Name:	IMG_2532.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	41790

Grommet and sleave at door must allow loom to slide in and out smoothly:

Name:	IMG_2530.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	41791

Hope that is helpful.

Be Early!
    Last edited by ShawnM; 03-21-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Challenge to be aware of when installing the typical looms at the rear gargo doors.

One thing I observed when considering using one of the stock looms like in the message above is that the door jambs, at least at the rear cargo doors, have two different and separated layers of body metal to drill through to attach the loom and run the wire through at the jamb itself. Not sure about the side doors, as I have a no-door 1966. I suggest considering this as you will need to figure out how you will get the nut on the end of the threaded loom and secure it in place. The second layer of metal will need a large enough hole to get the nut through it, and you will also need a way to secure/tighten the nut. There is not much room at the rear door jamb to do this. I'm sure it can be done, just won't be easy or simple to pull off. On the positive side, that second layer of metal can actually be used by the spring type loom to stop it from pushing in too far if the hole drilled to pass the wire through is a smaller diameter than the spring itself.

User Tag List