Thread: The weight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The weight

Ive made a decision. Well. I suppose it has been made for me. I have owned my van for more than 10 years.
    Moved it across the country twice. Have touched every nut and bolt on it but it wasnt until I landed an actual
    job and was able to save money that the bodywork and paint was even a topic. Thats what Im venting about here...

While yes a shiny paint job would be nice to show off at whatever get together we may attend, but what is the cost...?
    After saving my money for 5 years I had talked to a few body shops and found the standard prep and paint was 5 to 7 thousand dollars.
    OK, Im not a rich guy, parents didnt have money. Ive WORKED to support 3 kids who all are productive members of society but
    having the money was exciting and looking forward to sending my ride off to be painted was like being 10 again and Christmas was just around the corner.

Then...BANG! A distracted driving "millennial" who was cutting off other drivers at the time hits me in the left rear hard enough to spin the van 180.
    The damage was fixed over the next months and the van was patched temporarily keeping the plan to get it to the body shop.
    Over a year or so I collected better cargo doors, front doors, refurbished the vent windows and have all the rubber seals. Rewired the entire front harness.
    Ive stripped out the interior and have really tried to prep anything I thought would save time and cash at paint. If I listed everything...

Anyway, the money was spent and she's ready to go...I figure with the tax refund it will cover overages etc. I have even bought a bicycle so while my daily driver is gone
    I can still get to work. So...

Yesterday, Im just driving...not rushing, not using my phone, not tuning the radio, just driving. Surface street, not the freeway. Just going along...
    AND LOOK OUT! There is a short line of cars in the right lane waiting to right turn but a large truck is keeping them from doing so.
    I find out why as I pass along the left of them. A "driver" is attempting a left turn in front of the truck out of a parking lot across 4 lanes.

Of course the truck driver is motioning to pull out in front of him and where do they end up?
    RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I make the obvious decision to cram on the drum brakes and turn hard left and clinch...
    Skidding tire sounds and expletives are heard as the "driver" also turns hard, but to the right. (They circled around and passed me on the left as if nothing happened)
    Im sure the folks in the turn lane were amazed but there was no collision this time, but my van is now facing the opposite direction and stalled so I get it started and start moving and I have an epiphany.

What if I put all that money I have saved for so long into making this van all pretty and some moron decides they have waited long enough and....

So the decision has been made for me. Van gets rattle canned as a temporary coat to make it look less like a patchwork quilt and if some parking lot bully
    feels the need to open their door into my side, a little paint chip wont make me want to commit a mortal sin. A least until I retire and can have a safe parking spot somewhere
    hundreds of miles away from the Los Angeles idiot, no insurance, no licence, (other stuff), drivers.

Be careful out there.
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know your pain. People are not paying attention while driving more than in the past. I think part of the problem is newer cars are too easy to drive now. Disc brakes, power rack and pinion steering, quiet inside so you can't hear what's going on outside etc.
    When I started driving I had to learn how to drive a car, loose steering, manual trans. and iffy brakes.
    I leave space for braking and cars zoom in front of me not thinking about my stopping distance.

I painted my van in my driveway, it's not a show paint job, it's a driver. It looks real good from across the street but up close it's not perfect.
    I have already scraped some paint off on a over hang and I see more rock chips on the front every time I wash it. No major door dings yet but I expect it at some point.
    I like driving a classic Van and I get compliments everywhere I go. I do most of the work myself so I can't fire the painter.

Mostly I ride a motorcycle so I've learned "NEVER" to trust other driver's on the road and I drive very defensively.

Keep yourself safe out there and enjoy the ride.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	van pic11.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	41175
    1966 Sportvan Deluxe 230 3 on tree (work in progress) Now 283 small block
    1965 Sportvan Deluxe 250 powerglide (Sold)
    1965 Chevy Van Panel (Project)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could paint myself. I’ve done the professional body work steps with rattle can as my budget and it’s some work. I’ve done things like doors, fenders and hoods. To do body work you have to be a perfectionist. It takes time and trial and error at least for me to get to a place where I’m happy with the work. The hardest part is body prep, hammer and dolly and repeat, then comes body filler. Feathering it out so you don’t notice it after paint, is the trick. Then you have to follow wait times between primers and coats and then clear to seal it all. I’ve got a paint gun I’d like to use but no compressor big enough currently is the problem. Never used a gun. What minimum size compressor can be used? Van-itti, wish we were five minutes away from each other so we can help each other out Whenever you want, you’re welcome to come visit and show off the van as is currently. Maybe we can work on sections at a time. My van is currently down due to working on upgrades. Once it’s back to running maybe I can head your way
    1966 Chevy Sportvan seafoam green/white
    Sliding ragtop
    230 straight six
    HEI distributor
    12SI alternator
    2bbl 32/36 Progressive carb upgrade with 1 to 2bbl carb adapter
    200r4 w/stock auto shifter, custom hanger, 96 suburban trans cooler
    3:36 rear
    Front Disk Brake conversion with Dual master
    Recored radiator to 3core
    5 blade fan
    belly pan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    "People are not paying attention while driving more than in the past. I think part of the problem is newer cars are too easy to drive now. Disc brakes, power rack and pinion steering, quiet inside so you can't hear what's going on outside etc."
    Absolutely wrong...people were given a license by virtue of showing a heartbeat/ pulse. Cell phones and text messaging have not helped the situation. The new cars are blast to drive...if you know how...jm2c I could be wrong NOT
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space..JM2C...hehehe
    Steve

1967 Chevy 90 "Space Truckin"
    350 SBC 260hp/ 350tq, MSD HEI, Holley 4150, Sanderson Block Hugger Headers, BowTie 700R4, 3:36 posi

1973 Chevy 110 "Orange Bang" w emphasis on the BANG :-)
    383 Stroker 440hp/ 480tq, MSD 6AL/ HEI, FiTech, Hooker Full length Headers, BowTie 700R4, 3:73/ Eaton Truetrac, "Cruiseaire" Original

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Russell your van looks just fine up close too! If thats a driveway job, it takes a close look.
    Nice job! When can we get started?? LOL

I have a basic knowledge of body prep from those long gone days of vocational tech training.
    Thanks for the offer Jose! Come on over anytime.

Still planning on soft plug and radiator replacement. Have all the pieces for that.
    Mark insists I need that disc conversion...
    We were planning on a camper/desert off grid thing for the interior. So I guess here we go with that too!

Im looking at some prep and paint kits.

...and yes, while making cars easier to drive it has made drivers complacent. As well, cars are disposable. Any damage is usually written off as totaled.
    So "driver" isnt planning on keeping the car for more than 3 - 5 years. They dont care...
    Last edited by van-itti; 01-20-2020 at 06:02 PM.
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what your saying...I drive a new van for work everyday and put 40,000 miles a year on. It is a trick to staying out of harms way and luck has to be on your side. I drive completely different when Im in my 65' just knowing it cant react like a new one, always thinking of what can happen in front of me. Fortunately our traffic is nothing like Cali ( whew !) 4 cars at the intersection here is "rush hour"

Stay Safe !

Name:	Yurkes (2).jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	41180
    1968 Chevy 90 250/700r/Fuel Injected - sold and missed
    1966 Chevy handyvan 350/auto (work in progress)
    1965 GMC 350/auto ( just had to have )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are lucky that our vans have great curb appeal from their inherent body stylings. Throw on some cool wheels and a decent stance and we got something that looks awesome in just primer. Rattle can it all one color.....stand back and decide your next move.
    Last edited by SteelyVan; 01-20-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People drive like they walk down the street, not paying attention. Looking at their texts. A woman on the 805 pulled out right into the lane like she was exiting a parking lot on to a city street. Not the FREEWAY... OMG lucky for me nobody beside me so I veered out of her way... she never even looked to her left when pulling onto a freeway, She never saw me or my van??? Just her rearview mirror... looked clear!? I try to be the slow one going 60 so people go around me. AS 75 is now the new 60! LOL
    Luckily at the end of the month I will be getting upgraded to Disc Brakes and Power steering. This will help with my poor neck and shoulders. The Discs will help me stop, with the drivers who are blind, deaf and licensed anyway!
    Jacke

1964 GMC Handi-Van Custom 350
    1971 Ford Mustang 302
    1957 Karman Ghia Project

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disc Brakes

We talked about this project some time ago, yes disc brakes. They don't ward off bad drivers but they sure help you stop in a much shorter distance and in a straight line. Those drum brakes require regular adjustment to stop in a straight line, especially during panic stops. One caution with disc brakes is that you need to have everything in the back secured or it may well end up in the front seat with you. Mike, let's get you on the calendar. The spring is booked but maybe summer we can gitter dun.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
    1969 G20 Shell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a Great Photo!

Stay Safe !

Name:	Yurkes (2).jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	41180[/QUOTE]
    1966 / 230 / 3 tree / 3.73 / P275 60 R15 107S
    That makes people smile!
    https://www.facebook.com/tk.tllala/v...5276253904509/
    Being improved!
    &
    1966 / 230 / 3 tree / 3.63 / P205/60 R15 No longer 100% ORIGINAL.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet that with a little practice on scrap fenders you can use a Harbor Freight compressor and gun and get a 1000% better result than rattle cans. I've seen Russel's van and it looks great. There is also another local guy that had his in a body shop for like two years and it looks like a new vehicle. But he said he does worry a lot about it getting dinged, so there is your trade off. You can get all your paint, gun and supplies from Eastman...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Unfortunately IF you are going to drive it on the streets now a days.Every ride could be your last one.
    Sorry being brutally honest here.....
    That being said. My Early got just as many thumbs up in primer. As it does in it's current paint job.
    I had it in two different colors of primer.
    As stated earlier in this thread.These old girls just have a certain curb appeal not too many other classic vehicles have..
    They look great in primer as well as a finished paint job.
    I have shot the "Beast" in primer outside more than one time..
    All that being said .Invest in an agreed value insurance policy.
    If you do loose her to a brain dead driver.You will at least get the agreed value of your Van.
    These policies here on the east coast are reasonable for what you get in return IF you loose your ride to a brain dead driver we share the roads with.
    You only go around once in life.If driving your Vintage Chevy Van brings you pleasure.Then drive her.....
    Last edited by Wookee; 01-24-2020 at 04:50 PM.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Wook.
    That is the answer I believe to be searching for.
    Strange how I still respect an mature, more experienced opinion. (Dad's voice ringing in my ears...)

My wife and I have looked at this from every angle we can imagine.
    Pricing the materials and then the estimate of my time and efforts...

I have changed my mind, and we are proceeding with the body work and paint!!

Ive worked for a long time for this. You are so right Wookee. Only one ride per ticket...better enjoy it.
    I want this and its going to happen.
    Im not letting someone ruin my parade..No diagnosis from some quack Dr quite yet so, as testament to my generation
    "Onward through the fog!"

Stay tuned!!!
    Last edited by van-itti; 01-24-2020 at 04:56 PM.
    Mike

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Mike.

Yes, well said. Wookee, thanks for the perspective.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
    1969 G20 Shell

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a professional truck driver since 1983...stay alert, head on a swivel, at ALL times, everywhere. Its a dangerous jungle out there.
    68 108 panel parts donor
    69 108 sportvan deluxe 350 4bbl 700R4 3:36 posi
    68 108 sportvan custom 350 4bbl 700R4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Wookiee regarding his wisdom as well as getting insurance. I use Hagerty and can't believe how cheap it is. I think my Van is Insured to $15K for under $300/year because its an antique and not my primary vehicle. Plus, you will look so good driving that sweet van wth the new paint job you and it deserves! I hope it happens for you!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even a cheapie paint job can look great if your van is straight underneath. I actually had Hella Sunshine painted at Maaco. I did all my own prep and sent it to the shop with everything removed off it, no bumpers, mirrors, emblems, etc. The bill was $1500 to paint the van inside and out, and that included an additional 10 hours of the shop's prep and sanding. I chose a single stage urethane yellow out of their catalog book, and they code matched the original fawn interior color. Just goes to show you that if you take the time to do all your own prep, a cheap paint job can look great.

Name:	DSC00264.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	41204

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is my plan Kook. I have all 6 doors ready. Roof has been patched.
    Next step is remove bumper, lights, etc. I still have to order the windshield. (missed out on the one you had)
    but this thing is moving forward.
    Mike

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

While they have tightened up regulations on the east coast on over spray and how it is taken car of.
    It is still not as tight as the rules and regulations on the west coast ,California in general.
    One way they did it was to raise the price of materials up so high,to try to deter the home guy who was good with a spray gun.from painting in his back yard shop.
    This in turn also cost every one more money and drove older profession shop right out of business.
    The water base paints also came from these regulations
    A friend of mine takes all of his spray jobs to Macco.He was restoring Early dodge A 100 Vans.
    They all ways turned out good..
    Here is a picture of a extended,crew cab A100 he built.Two tone paint was shot by Macco.
    He did all of the prep work in his home shop.

Name:	100_2702.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	41213

Thank you guys for the complement on my opinion....
    Last edited by Wookee; 01-27-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
    I'm with Wookiee regarding his wisdom as well as getting insurance. I use Hagerty and can't believe how cheap it is. I think my Van is Insured to $15K for under $300/year because its an antique and not my primary vehicle. Plus, you will look so good driving that sweet van wth the new paint job you and it deserves! I hope it happens for you!
    Not to go off topic by I tried Haggerty and they told me no way unless the van is in the garage full time - probably yet another "benefit" of being in Southern California...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanSandy View Post
    Not to go off topic by I tried Haggerty and they told me no way unless the van is in the garage full time - probably yet another "benefit" of being in Southern California...
    I applied with them. sent pictures and they rejected me because van was parked in grass! when I explained pics were at a truck in, they said no way they could insure a vehicle that was driven off road and left outside all weekend at a public event!
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

A few years back they where the new kids on the block in the insurance Biz.
    A friend of mine had them when he wrecked his 1sr gen.
    They paid the body shop to replace the complete front sheet metal and match the paint.
    The garage storage has all ways been one of there "things"...

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those damn millennials 😠

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No skid, no horn just bam!
    Passing cars on the right, while on her phone.
    A slight turn to her right and she would have missed me.
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by van-itti View Post
    No skid, no horn just bam!
    Passing cars on the right, while on her phone.
    A slight turn to her right and she would have missed me.
    What happened did your van get hit? Are you OK... is the van hurt bad?
    Jacke

1971 Ford Mustang 302
    1957 Karman Ghia Project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppvan View Post
    What happened did your van get hit? Are you OK... is the van hurt bad?

No Jacke!!
    This happened 2 years ago but Im finally getting around to making the repairs permanent.
    Couldnt make up my mind and the wisdom of Wookee made me realize a couple things.
    Now after his passing its more true than ever.
    You only get one time up to bat. You dont need to hit the home run but you had better enjoy your time at the plate.

RIP Wook. Im now more determined than ever to get this finished.
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by van-itti View Post
    No Jacke!!
    This happened 2 years ago but Im finally getting around to making the repairs permanent.
    Couldnt make up my mind and the wisdom of Wookee made me realize a couple things.
    Now after his passing its more true than ever.
    You only get one time up to bat. You dont need to hit the home run but you had better enjoy your time at the plate.

RIP Wook. Im now more determined than ever to get this finished.
    Oh glad to hear, I just misunderstood. Yes, Wookee was right. I am doing my best to enjoy every minute I get.
    Jacke

1971 Ford Mustang 302
    1957 Karman Ghia Project

User Tag List