Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 66 van up build

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExEarlyVanner View Post
    I also love the 64 65 66 pickups. short bed fleetside with all the trim are imho the best looking chevy pickup

Do u still have the L600 dodge pickup i think that is Bad A$$

Ken
    ken I do still have the l 700 , its for sale , ill prolly never finish it lol to many other distractions [ projects ]
    1965 GMC SUPER CUSTOM HANDIBUS
    1965 GMC 108 vanup

Certifiable Vanatic Z-Machine (aka VanZack)'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

👍!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gray ghost View Post
    the ambulance being referred to is my m679 jeep fc 170 based marine corps ambulance , yes they are quite rare , theres approx. 11 know to exist 1 is in England the rest are here in the states , I have two of them
    Wow. How'd you get your hands on two of them? Is it hard to find parts for them? I probably would have tried to buy one, but then I found out how rare they are, and figured I'd never be able to find one.
    1969 G10 108, 307 V8, TH350, 3.08 gears
    1966 G10 Panel, 194 I6, three on the tree (I think it's an old Ma Bell van)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

zero parts

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Machine (aka VanZack) View Post
    Wow. How'd you get your hands on two of them? Is it hard to find parts for them? I probably would have tried to buy one, but then I found out how rare they are, and figured I'd never be able to find one.
    ken , I found my first one on e-bay 15 years ago or so , I bought the second one about 3 years ago from a guy who brought it to a show in iowa where I had been in attendance , very hard to find and yes they are almost zero parts available for them specifically the the cerlist diesel
    1965 GMC 108 vanup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hydraulic power steering

trying a different power steering set up , this is a new aftermarket power steering box , ive seen and drove the electric conversions of our vans , I have everything here to accomplish that install , and that system works very well , however I keep going back to a more old school approach of a more conventional power steering set up , the box im using is based on a vega style set up that is used primarily for 50's chevy and ford pickups , the compact size is what I am looking for , this will not be as wallet friendly as the electric conversion , but might be a viable answer to those who have a need for replacing a tired [worn ] manual box , im doing my best to make this a " BOLT IN " conversion as I can . I am making mounting plates that will utilize the factory mounting holes in the frame rail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2796.jpg   IMG_2797.jpg   IMG_2798.jpg   IMG_2841.jpg   IMG_2842.jpg  

1965 GMC 108 vanup

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks Good

Great pics, keep em coming please.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terry, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on that steering box. It would be great to see something than can eventually be plug and play and avoid steering assist of any kind. Awesome! On another note: I called you yesterday to pick your brain on your past hydroboost install. For my hydroboost, I'm thinking of going light weight to an aluminum master with 1.25" bore. Or should I stick with a 1" bore which I have now for manual disc? I recall you saying you stayed with 1". How does the pedal feel? I would still switch to an aluminum version of the 1" bore. The 69 corvette master comes in an aluminum version. Thoughts?

Loving the progress on the Vanup! Man of many talents.

Jose
    1966 Chevy Sportvan seafoam green/white
    Sliding ragtop
    230 straight six
    HEI distributor
    12SI alternator
    2bbl 32/36 Progressive carb upgrade with 1 to 2bbl carb adapter
    200r4 w/stock auto shifter, custom hanger, 96 suburban trans cooler
    3:36 rear
    Front Disk Brake conversion with Dual master
    Recored radiator to 3core
    5 blade fan
    belly pan.

Certifiable Vanatic Z-Machine (aka VanZack)'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gray ghost View Post
    ...but might be a viable answer to those who have a need for replacing a tired [worn ] manual box...
    I found this:

https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/...Box/82-70143_R

Does that look correct?

Also, I think Readhead could rebuild an old worn box. I think I've seen it online before, although, I'm not finding it now.

I really like the electric steering idea -- no hydraulic lines to leak, extremely adjustable assist level, and if it quits, you're just back to normal manual steering -- but I'm impressed that you were able to find a possible replacement gearbox in such a small package.
    1969 G10 108, 307 V8, TH350, 3.08 gears
    1966 G10 Panel, 194 I6, three on the tree (I think it's an old Ma Bell van)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steering feel

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Machine (aka VanZack) View Post
    I found this:

https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/...Box/82-70143_R

Does that look correct?

Also, I think Readhead could rebuild an old worn box. I think I've seen it online before, although, I'm not finding it now.

I really like the electric steering idea -- no hydraulic lines to leak, extremely adjustable assist level, and if it quits, you're just back to normal manual steering -- but I'm impressed that you were able to find a possible replacement gearbox in such a small package.
    vanzach that box is probably for a panel van , its definitely not for our vans , mounting points are radically different , im a proponent of the electric steering , just like the idea of hydraulic steering it feels more, comfortable , electric steering has a different feeling , ive experienced it in the original donor cars , also experienced it in our vans after the conversion is installed , its a very good upgrade , just interested in coming up with something im more comfortable with, thanks for the compliment
    1965 GMC 108 vanup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely a good start!

I like the direction your heading in, just like your self I have nothing against the electric assist setup, but itís hard to beat old school. Please keep us updated and again nice work.
    Cruzbox

User Tag List