Thread: How many of you are running GM TBI?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many of you are running GM TBI?

Morning, I知 thinking a little ahead (taking a break from bodywork) how many of you Gus are running TBI on your vans? Pros cons? I added a 275-300hp SBC in our 67 and looking for fuel injection options? I知 running a FiTech on my small block Vega but that is local driving, the van will be everywhere and being able to walk into a parts store to replace something/ anything would be good! What do you think, thanks cruzbox

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a stock tbi set up in my 69/90 with a 700r4 to back it up,
    the tbi will only take an rv type cam any more and it will not like it.
    the tbi heads are a little restrictive, but the dependability is out of this
    world, I get 360 mile to a tank of gas, and no flooding no gas smell and
    always starts with just turning the key, i drive mine everyday, only open the
    dog house to check oil and change oil, but i would like more power so have
    been thinking about doing the ls 5.3 swap.
    54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
    64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
    69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to mention!

Sorry, I didn稚 mention the motor specs, it痴 a 260-270hp GM create motor that I took the stock 76cc heads off and put on a set of RHS FAST BURN style steel heads with 62cc / 2.02- 1.60 valves but left the stock low lift flat tapper cam in. Looking for low end to midrange performance with gas mileage and drive ability in mind! Thoughts ?
    Cruzbox

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from the specs you have sounds like it would work, if you have an aftermarket
    intake with no egr valve you will have to have the a prom burnt to delete it and a few
    other items that are emission systems tbichips.com is the guy for that. I get almost
    20 out of my 69 it has the stock 3.36 rear gears. Pretty good out of the hole.
    54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
    64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
    69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks, the low first gear in the 700r4 works nice! When I rebuilt the rearend I went with a 3:08 posi! We will see but 20mpg would be nice👍

Certifiable Vanatic Leroy Jackson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzbox View Post
    Morning, Iツ知 thinking a little ahead (taking a break from bodywork) how many of you Gus are running TBI on your vans? Pros cons? I added a 275-300hp SBC in our 67 and looking for fuel injection options? Iツ知 running a FiTech on my small block Vega but that is local driving, the van will be everywhere and being able to walk into a parts store to replace something/ anything would be good! What do you think, thanks cruzbox
    If you don't want to use any of the new stand alone fuel Injection systems for fear of reliability, just stick with carbs. Those tbi' s from the era of pre muti-port system are all junk and they do not have any real benefits except being able to maintain a close afr during pronounced elevation changes like running up likes peak. Tbi's from that era run on narrow band o2 sensors. Also due to their age, the injectors would have a lot of cycles on them, so unless you plan to rebuild them and have all the sensors and computer, it's not all that cost effective. If you really want reliability, stick with a carb.

Pro's

fuel Injection - though narrow band and not easy to adjust

Con's

Zero adjustability
    narrow band o2
    Old technology
    Injectors will fail
    not multi-port
    not programmable
    cam option limited
    parts will fall off and get sucked into the engine
    Offers all the complexities of fuel Injection- higher fuel pressure, finer filters, o2 sensor, computer, different distributor- but none of the performance.

Those old Tbi's will leave you just as stranded when an injector fails. Most parts store are not stocking many parts now a days, so relying on parts availability is risky too.
    The Raped Ape
    1970 G-20 Krylon black
    Swing up cargo doors
    Supercharged 383
    4L80E transmission
    Detroit trutrac rear limited slip

User Tag List