Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 700R4 Question + Ford Explorer 8.8 Rear End Question

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

700R4 Question + Ford Explorer 8.8 Rear End Question

While perusing Craigslist searching for a 700R4, i found one with no torque converter. Poster claims it's a good solid version, as it's from a 1989 truck and has a more rigid outer case. Is $250 in the ballpark? Is there any way to know what condition it's in or do you just assume you're buying a core for that price that's gonna ned a rebuild? What's a reasonable price for a rebuild and any recommendations in southern Wisconsin?

Poster also lists a Ford Explorer 8.8 Rear end with posi-traction, 3.73 gears and disc brakes for $250. What's involved in a swap for a 2nd gen and how do you convert back to a standard 5 bolt pattern to match front? is this a reasonable way to inexpensively add rear disc brakes?

Thanks,
    Ry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iíve had good luck with 700r4ís

I have been swapping 700r4 into older Chevys for about twenty years now with nothing but success 👍
    I have never heard of a stronger outer case???
    The later the transmission is the better the internal parts usually are (89-91) GM got better at building them!
    Look up Bowtie Overdrive, Iíve been using these guys on every build, last winter I added one to my Brothers 65 SS Impala that now has 8,000 miles on it. If the TV cable is not set correctly the transmission will not last!
    Cruzbox

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be cheaper and easier to go aftermarket for rear discs. Nova or Camaro kits should fit.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Vanner68

Thanks Vanner68,
    I thought it may be the case. At this time, i'll stick with the stock and the front disc brake project planned for the '68.
    Ry

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    It's going to be cheaper and easier to go aftermarket for rear discs. Nova or Camaro kits should fit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call shift rite transmission, Kankakee,il They are the best deal on rebuilt automatic overdrives in the greater Chicago area that I have found. ive been buying from them for years. And bowtie overdrives.com is a great source for install info and parts.
    68 108 panel parts donor
    69 108 sportvan deluxe 350 4bbl 700R4 3:36 posi
    68 108 sportvan custom 350 4bbl 700R4

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Cruzbox for recommendation

Thanks for the recommendation Cruzbox. They look top of the line and a great company, though likely out of my price range at the moment.

Has anyone used their patented "TV Made Easy" Systems for fine tuning the shifting of the 700r4? I have read in many places, as Cruzbox suggests, the TV cable adjustment is critical to long-term operations and life of the 700r4.

If i'm going stock 350 V8, is 200-4r a better choice to avoid the driveshaft shortening issue? I've read they're not as strong as the 700r4 but that may not be an issue in my application? What's it cost to shorten a driveshaft and do you need to go to a pretty specialized place?

Thanks,
    Ry

Quote Originally Posted by cruzbox View Post
    I have been swapping 700r4 into older Chevys for about twenty years now with nothing but success 👍
    I have never heard of a stronger outer case???
    The later the transmission is the better the internal parts usually are (89-91) GM got better at building them!
    Look up Bowtie Overdrive, Iíve been using these guys on every build, last winter I added one to my Brothers 65 SS Impala that now has 8,000 miles on it. If the TV cable is not set correctly the transmission will not last!
    Cruzbox

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Thanks Ray680108

thanks for the local Chicagoland recommendation of a good builder. I took a look at their website but not sure how to navigate what i would need just yet. My '68 Sportvan 108 has a late 80's V8 350 and TH350 transmission that my dad bought from the airforce and had rebuilt and installed in the mid- to late-90's. Seems like i should call them and check in on what the right match would be for my engine.

Again, i appreciate the local intel and recommendation.
    Ry

Quote Originally Posted by RAY68108 View Post
    Call shift rite transmission, Kankakee,il They are the best deal on rebuilt automatic overdrives in the greater Chicago area that I have found. ive been buying from them for years. And bowtie overdrives.com is a great source for install info and parts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the 200R4 in both my vans and found they are much smaller than the 700. They are both 350sbc engines and love the gearing now. The driveshaft will work and clearences are nice.
    1968 Chevy 90 250/700r/Fuel Injected - sold and missed
    1966 Chevy handyvan 350/auto (work in progress)
    1965 GMC 350/auto ( just had to have )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    200R4 will be an easier install than the 700R4 due to size...the 200 is like a 350...no lowering the motor or shortening the driveshaft...still have to figure a trans mount. Shift rite does the correct upgrades to their trannies that the general cheaped on. the list is overwhelming. The OD swaps Ive done, I drove em like I stole em...they handle the punishment.
    The TV cable made easy from bowtie overdrives is a must along with the lockup converter kit...
    this trans swap isn't cheap so if funds are an issue maybe this swap is a back burner thing...scimping on anything with this swap is not a good idea...these automatic OD trannies need to be setup right from the get go.
    The fuel mileage and driveabilty make the swap well worth the outlay and the research and labor. JMTC, Ray
    Im sure there are trans shops close to you that do quality rebuilds...Im just experienced with the one close proximity to me.
    68 108 panel parts donor
    69 108 sportvan deluxe 350 4bbl 700R4 3:36 posi
    68 108 sportvan custom 350 4bbl 700R4

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Good advice all around

Yeah, it's high on the list but probably won't be top priority - lots of projects ahead of it at this point. I want to ensure i do it right when i get to that point. I'm relatively young and it's a long game with getting this van up to where i want to get it!! I'll need to live with the current setup for awhile until i see a good used option or can afford the full rebuilt with proper setup. For planning and budgeting purposes, is $2k a reasonable budget to get into a well rebuilt 200R4 with all associated parts (no labor)??

RAY68108 - What did you use for a trans mount for the 200R4 for your 2nd gen van?

Quote Originally Posted by RAY68108 View Post
    200R4 will be an easier install than the 700R4 due to size...the 200 is like a 350...no lowering the motor or shortening the driveshaft...still have to figure a trans mount. Shift rite does the correct upgrades to their trannies that the general cheaped on. the list is overwhelming. The OD swaps Ive done, I drove em like I stole em...they handle the punishment.
    The TV cable made easy from bowtie overdrives is a must along with the lockup converter kit...
    this trans swap isn't cheap so if funds are an issue maybe this swap is a back burner thing...scimping on anything with this swap is not a good idea...these automatic OD trannies need to be setup right from the get go.
    The fuel mileage and driveabilty make the swap well worth the outlay and the research and labor. JMTC, Ray
    Im sure there are trans shops close to you that do quality rebuilds...Im just experienced with the one close proximity to me.

User Tag List