Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 700R4 Question + Ford Explorer 8.8 Rear End Question

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love to see your setup when it's convenient

garagedoordennis - i'd love to cruise your way sometime and take a look at a finished van for some inspiration and practical advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by garagedoordennis View Post
    I installed the 200R4 in both my vans and found they are much smaller than the 700. They are both 350sbc engines and love the gearing now. The driveshaft will work and clearences are nice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 700r4 in my 2nd gen. I used a speedway trans mount. Im sure that same mount would work for the 200r4. Ive installed the OD trannies in cars also.
    68 108 panel parts donor
    69 108 sportvan deluxe 350 4bbl 700R4 3:36 posi
    68 108 sportvan custom 350 4bbl 700R4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a TH2004R in my 65 using a Speedway 8" drop mount. I will be adding angle iron reinforcements to the bottom of the frame to pick up the extra holes. I used an 8" drop because I lowered the crossmember 2" for the Pontiac OHC 6

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65van trans.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	41483
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Certifiable Vanatic Leroy Jackson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't recall having to lower the engine to fit a 700r4. I used factory mounts for a v8 and it slid in like a glove. I fabricated my own trans mount. Drive shaft was shortend too.

When I finally gave up on the 700r4..i blew up 3.. One stock and two which had all the good internals too, I stuffed a 4l80e in there on factory mounts. I just had to shorten the driveshaft again and move my crossmember back even further.

The tv cable and mechanical gov really limit these older units. I highly recommend going electronic.

Quote Originally Posted by RAY68108 View Post
    200R4 will be an easier install than the 700R4 due to size...the 200 is like a 350...no lowering the motor or shortening the driveshaft...still have to figure a trans mount. Shift rite does the correct upgrades to their trannies that the general cheaped on. the list is overwhelming. The OD swaps Ive done, I drove em like I stole em...they handle the punishment.
    The TV cable made easy from bowtie overdrives is a must along with the lockup converter kit...
    this trans swap isn't cheap so if funds are an issue maybe this swap is a back burner thing...scimping on anything with this swap is not a good idea...these automatic OD trannies need to be setup right from the get go.
    The fuel mileage and driveabilty make the swap well worth the outlay and the research and labor. JMTC, Ray
    Im sure there are trans shops close to you that do quality rebuilds...Im just experienced with the one close proximity to me.
    The Raped Ape
    1970 G-20 Krylon black
    Swing up cargo doors
    Supercharged 383
    4L80E transmission
    Detroit trutrac rear limited slip

User Tag List