Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Wanted - Z-Bar

  1. #1
    Van Addict
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wanted - Z-Bar

    Looking for a Z-Bar (and springs) for a Late 65/66 with Muncie SM318 3-speed. Surprisingly the one in the picture actually got me home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 66 Z-Bar - Copy.jpg  

  2. #2
    VCVC Member SAVAGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    FT. WAYNE IN.U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take a look to see what I have.
    Whats wrong with this one?? Bent arm for shift rod, or is other pin missing or trans side(not showing)???
    Tom

  3. #3
    VCVC Member joyrde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lodi, Ohio USA
    Posts
    2,876
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 65Mark View Post
    Looking for a Z-Bar (and springs) for a Late 65/66 with Muncie SM318 3-speed. Surprisingly the one in the picture actually got me home.
    May not be cheap - - - but you could have one made - - - Have you tried to "fix" yours?

  4. #4
    VCVC Member SAVAGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    FT. WAYNE IN.U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    65 Mark the 2 I found so far. 1 is longer & shift lever is only 3 & 1/2
    The one thats the same length , the shif lever is only 2 & 1/2???
    Hope this Helps Some
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0760.jpg   IMG_0761.jpg  
    Tom

  5. #5
    Van Addict
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGE View Post
    65 Mark the 2 I found so far. 1 is longer & shift lever is only 3 & 1/2
    The one thats the same length , the shif lever is only 2 & 1/2???
    Hope this Helps Some
    Thanks for finding those and posting pics. Seems that there are a number of combinations of lengths for the Vans.

    I have gone ahead and straighten the lever on mine, but still dealing with a crooked tube due to a really bad weld. Not sure the clocking of the tube is correct either - the end towards the tranny is a bit off. Not able to get things welded at the moment.

    Hoping a forum member that has changed over to an Auto may have the correct Z-Bar.

    Thanks again

  6. #6
    VCVC Member SAVAGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    FT. WAYNE IN.U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up

    Mark both of those are kind of off on the trans end. I guess it the way it was built??
    Post some pics of your van We All like pics
    Tom

  7. #7
    New Guy
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm cutting up a '65 donor that was converted to auto. If you can post a pic of where to find it I'll look to see what I can find.

  8. #8
    Van Addict
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
    I'm cutting up a '65 donor that was converted to auto. If you can post a pic of where to find it I'll look to see what I can find.

    Thanks for the offer. The Z-Bar comes off the tranny straight to the side frame on the drivers side. I could also use the 2 small 3/4" springs at the tranny side of the Z-Bar and the lever coming off the first / reverse shaft of the tranny. I am finding mine has really been bungled up over the years. Thanks again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z Bar 2 - Copy.jpg   Z Bar - Copy.jpg  

  9. #9
    New Guy
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll look to see if any of it is serviceable and let you know.

  10. #10
    New Guy
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got under and looked, sorry. It's a newer year transmission, shaft w/ splines from the trans...

  11. #11
    Van Addict
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
    I finally got under and looked, sorry. It's a newer year transmission, shaft w/ splines from the trans...
    WB - Thanks for looking. Any chance what was there looked like this? I am in need of this lever also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st - Rev Lever - Copy.jpg  

  12. #12
    New Guy
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll get a pic of what is there.

  13. #13
    New Guy
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I forgot to reply. I finally got the '65 cut up and got an eyeball on the remains of the shift linkage. Someone had MacGyvered a uni-strut clamp, the clamp that bites the flange of an "I" beam and has a tapped hole for all thread rod.
    When I saw your pic I thought it was close but when I got under the van and cleaned it off I recognized the hanger clamp immediately, no help,,,

  14. #14
    Van Addict
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
    Sorry I forgot to reply. I finally got the '65 cut up and got an eyeball on the remains of the shift linkage. Someone had MacGyvered a uni-strut clamp, the clamp that bites the flange of an "I" beam and has a tapped hole for all thread rod.
    When I saw your pic I thought it was close but when I got under the van and cleaned it off I recognized the hanger clamp immediately, no help,,,
    Thanks for the followup. Savage was able to help me out with the needed part. Good to know you-all are out there to help out fellow vanners!

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •