Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCVC Rallies and Events

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VCVC Rallies and Events

That's what I'm aiming for, lots of VCVC Rallies and Events. I'll be leaving soon on a multi-state parts pickup and delivery run with multiple stops to meet multiple VCVanners on the WedgieVan Parts Express. For me, each stop will be an event and every meetup will be a rally. The current plan is to head north as far as the Canadian border, as far east as Indiana, south to Texas, west to San Diego then back north. It'll be a few thousand miles and quite a few hours of road time. We will be hauling items big and small. Fiberglass Sportvan interior panels, Jr WC mirrors, steering gearboxes, popout windows, front clips, bench seats and overdrive transmissions to name just a few of the items. There is still room on many legs of this trip to transport bulky items. Many items I am transporting have been sold from one member to another and I'm just acting as the carrier. Other items I have sold and will be delivering. So if there's something you need from me or something you need transported along that route, let me know soon. I leave within a week, maybe as soon as this coming Monday. If you're along my route and need a ride for a part or I can arrange a meetup, give me a shout out and we can try to get something going. I'd love to meet as many VCVanners as I can! Here's the interstate routes I'm scheduled to take; north on I-5, east on I-69, south on I-69, I-70, I-57, I-55, I-40, I-30, west on I-20, I-10, a quick jog north on I-17, then west on I-8 and back north on the I-5. That should be quite the circle. I'm estimating 80-100 road hours, ~6,000 miles and ~300 gallons of fuel. We'll see just how well that overdrive/rear axle combination works. I'll be updating this thread as much as possible along the way. It should be quite the adventure.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letís have a big SoCal party and BBQ!!! Err, I mean a van ďprotestĒ

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks 108VanGuy

I appreciate what you are doing now with this Express as I'm getting a delivery from WA to WI, so thanks for that!! I wish i could be around when you swing through to meet you and share my appreciation in person and learn a thing or two about my van!! Thanks for all you do for this community to share your knowledge and experience!!
    Safe Vanning!!
    Ry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
    Letís have a big SoCal party and BBQ!!! Err, I mean a van ďprotestĒ
    Lets do it. Mark will be stopping by on his way back home.
    1966 Chevy Sportvan seafoam green/white
    Sliding ragtop
    230 straight six
    HEI distributor
    12SI alternator
    2bbl 32/36 Progressive carb upgrade with 1 to 2bbl carb adapter
    200r4 w/stock auto shifter, custom hanger, 96 suburban trans cooler
    3:36 rear
    Front Disk Brake conversion with Dual master
    Recored radiator to 3core
    5 blade fan
    belly pan.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds Good!

A SoCal VCVan event sounds real good. Let's pick a spot and I'll work to tighten up my arrival date. I'm guessing a weekend would work best? My timeline is pretty loose at this point. I know where I need to be but I have not determined the "when" on all the stops yet.
    108VanGuy...
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your parts trip

Quote Originally Posted by 108VanGuy View Post
    That's what I'm aiming for, lots of VCVC Rallies and Events. I'll be leaving soon on a multi-state parts pickup and delivery run with multiple stops to meet multiple VCVanners on the WedgieVan Parts Express. For me, each stop will be an event and every meetup will be a rally. The current plan is to head north as far as the Canadian border, as far east as Indiana, south to Texas, west to San Diego then back north. It'll be a few thousand miles and quite a few hours of road time. We will be hauling items big and small. Fiberglass Sportvan interior panels, Jr WC mirrors, steering gearboxes, popout windows, front clips, bench seats and overdrive transmissions to name just a few of the items. There is still room on many legs of this trip to transport bulky items. Many items I am transporting have been sold from one member to another and I'm just acting as the carrier. Other items I have sold and will be delivering. So if there's something you need from me or something you need transported along that route, let me know soon. I leave within a week, maybe as soon as this coming Monday. If you're along my route and need a ride for a part or I can arrange a meetup, give me a shout out and we can try to get something going. I'd love to meet as many VCVanners as I can! Here's the interstate routes I'm scheduled to take; north on I-5, east on I-69, south on I-69, I-70, I-57, I-55, I-40, I-30, west on I-20, I-10, a quick jog north on I-17, then west on I-8 and back north on the I-5. That should be quite the circle. I'm estimating 80-100 road hours, ~6,000 miles and ~300 gallons of fuel. We'll see just how well that overdrive/rear axle combination works. I'll be updating this thread as much as possible along the way. It should be quite the adventure.
    108VanGuy...
    Hey Mark, if you get to Indiana, I have more van parts you might be interested in. I live close to Frankfort, near I65. George (gas) Snyder 765-427-5862

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safe trip on your Mobile VCVC Rally & Vaner Express Run. Mark.
    Tom

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Connections Made

Looks like I will be seeing both Tom and George.
    108VanGuy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oklahoma?

If you're swinging through Oklahoma, let me know.
    1968 GMC Handi-Bus Custom, 307 w/ powerglide
    Semper Gumby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me know if your going to Gorges first . I'll met you there. Would like to meet another IN. vaner who's close. Since I put wrong Co. Rd in last time & got Lost last time. Sorry I wasted your (day &)time Gorge.
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I had been working from home I was going to "volunteer" to go with you.
    With the re-openings my travel has started again. So unfortunately while I would love the adventure,
    I cannot get the time off. Waaa!!

ANY SoCal vanners that want to put together a cookout/vanout thingy
    lets sync up the dates for Mark's arrival and do this!
    PM me.

Ride safe my friend. We're waitin on ya'.
    Mike

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Planning

While the delivery locations I need to be are set, the times are flexible so I'm hoping to meet as many VCVanners as possible along the way. Post up or PM me if it's something that could happen.
    Savage; I spoke with Gas and he said I could camp out there. He's got 10 acres so I'm sure more VCVanners would not be too crowded, I can't speak for George but I think it'd be great to have a "Mini Indy Rally". Give George a call since he's not much with the texting and posting. Let's do it!
    StayPuffed; I can do that trip through Oklahoma. A quick check of the interstate map shows I'll just have to trade the trip through Arkansas for a trip through Missouri. It's still on the way to Texas. Done deal, looking forward to it Mike!
    Vanitti; I'll be missing a co-driver on this trip. When I was first planning this trip, it was going to be Freaky coming along but that was before the whole CV-19 thing happened. (No not the USS Hancock.) So Bill had to take a rain check on the NATS and the road trip. Now with you unavailable, its looking like a solo trip. Good thing for me that I like to hear myself talk. Maybe Bill warned you off? ;>) I'm hoping we can get together with KookyKrispy and 66 BeachCruiser when I loop back through Kali. I'll keep all you guys in the loop.
    KK and 66BC; PM sent.
    LedZepVan; I'm headed right through San Diego and you've got parts being delivered so I'll definitely be seeing you.

The WedgieVan is getting ready to go. I checked and repacked the front wheel bearings, new seals, rebalanced the tires, installed the new 2.76 rear axle along with that master overhaul kit, checked compression, changed plugs, oil, filters for the air, oil and fuel. I'm packaging parts for shipment and working down my list. I have a high level of mechanical confidence in the WedgieVan but will be bringing along spare parts just in case. A few more days and it's "go time."
    108VanGuy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark have a great trip ! Bill
    1966 Chevy G10 Panel, 283 small block/turbo 350,Disc brakes

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoping to Leave Today

I've still got some last minute stuff to do but hopefully I'll be on the road today. One thing I've been working on is a parts website. I don't have all the bugs worked out yet. The PHOTO links to parts pics is broken but that's got to get fixed later.
    It's not yet searchable but you can get to it by typing it into the address bar at the very top of your screen. Maybe someone can link it.
    vintagechevyvanparts.com

108VanGuy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the one, hope the link works?? About time you had your own web page Mark, really like what your doing on your site.
    https://vintagechevyvanparts.com/
    For some reason it didn't work , at first but when I hit back on top of page it came up. hope it works for the VCVC group.
    Also it worked using Bing for search. Maybe because I using wrong internet explor'er??
    Last edited by SAVAGE; 06-23-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great start to the website! Best of luck with it.

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gutsy road trip - gotta love a person with faith in the old van! Saw route - any ideas on planned scheduled stops, etc?

Also - great starting point with the website. Nice to have that additional resource. You must have been what little mind I still have left - I'm starting to think about the end-to-end rewiring on my 64 (probably a winter project) and found the wiring diagram download - NICE!

Safe travels.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day Two Update

Left Sacramento yesterday. Got on the road about 5 AM. Topped off the tank in Woodland California and checked the fuel economy when I hit Corning California. Actually I was disappointed in the 18 miles per gallon. I was hoping to get at least 20. Anyway I stopped in grants Pass Oregon to spend time with family. Iíll post some pictures later. Back on the road about 6 PM headed to Portland Oregon. Spent the night in Troutdale Oregon at a Loveís travel center. I had forgotten I was supposed to pick up two seats for 66BeachCruiser. Turns out the pick up was three hours off myRoute each way. Jose did some checking and the seller made arrangements to meet me halfway. Thatís where Iím at now. Turns out the seller is none other than Rich Van Winkel. Itís a the legendary VCV artist himself! What a bonus! After this stop I leave to make a connection in Olympia Washington to pick up some big fiberglass panels. After that itís off to Daves68 to pick up more parts. If all goes to plan Iíll be spending the night at Russ 68ís place.
    108VanGuy...

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day 2 PM Update

I made all the connections I was hoping for. I met up with Rich to grab the front seats destined for 66-BeachCruiser. Rich is an amazing artist that has designed many an origin artworks of VCVs as well as the current VCV shirt designs. It was a pleasure to meet him. Then I was off to meet up with an OverDriveguru in the grater area. I learned much. it was off to Olympia, Washington to meet up with its Ryís mom. She was the custodian of the interior 108 SportVan fiberglass panels. These treasures are to be transported to Albert Lea, hopefully in one piece. The long 108 driverís side panel barely fits inside the 90 inch wheelbase WedgieVan. Iím was some work to prep the pieces for their long journey. After loading them up it was off to Daves68. He had pop outs ready for Vanitti and other gifts. Then itís off to Russ68ís place I made it there before dark. He has been gracious enough to let me spend the night here. This ainít no Loveís Travel Center, Iíll tell ya a that. Tomorrow Iím off to Blaine, Washington to try and get a steering gearbox accross the border.
    Wish me luck.
    108vanGuy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Wow you must be racking up some Miles on your van. I have seen the way you pack vans full of parts.
    Good luck getting your van full of VCV part's across the border. With out having to unload everything to search for drugs or vegetables ??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0674.jpg   IMG_0673.jpg  
    Tom

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pacific Northwest Adventures

I made a connection with an overdrive expert up here, picked up the 108 interior fiberglass panels in Olympia, WA, picked up parts from Daves68 and I was able to make a connection with a shipper real close to the border for the reman steering gear box he needed. Mikeís (Steady) daily driver is down because of a catastrophic failure the box. He was well pleased to get a replacement coming so soon. Heíll soon be driving his VCV daily instead of taking public transportation.
    After I dropped off the box, I wanted to get a pic of the closed border so I took a side street and ended up in a Customs and Border Patrol employee parking lot. I had to pass by an inspection booth to get out. The guy in the booth was looking like he was ready to roll the SWAT Team on me but that was probably just my nerves. ďWhat are you doin hereĒ he says. ďI took a wrong turn and Iím just trying to get back.Ē ďBack to where?Ē he says. ďThe United States!Ē ďFollow that road and take a right.Ēsaid he. ďYes SirĒ.
    I think I came as close as possible as I could to entering Canada. A sigh of relief and off to visit the Pacific Ocean I went.
    I stopped by a local fruit stand for some amazing golden raspberries, strawberries and cherries. Friggin taste explosion!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8FEC037C-FC65-4FC0-80C5-C16E1871F036.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	42691
    Now back to the hospitality of Russ68 an hour south. A steak dinner, a warm bed, his 64 on the lift with a stout in hand in the Pacific North West (PNW). It just doesnít get any better.

Name:	A01BFE7E-AE3E-407C-A61A-7F3019804EA5.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	42692
    The view out here in the PNW is hard to explain. Itís so lush with vegetation. The green is so intense that it seems to vibrate. Itís just awesome VCV cruising territory. Tomorrow itís finish reorganizing the WedgieVan, more time in Russís 4 bay shop and then Iím off to see LedZepVan who is moving from San Diego to up here in Washington. Iím pleased that I was able to make the half dozen PNW connections.
    More later.
    108VanGuy...

Name:	1452989E-98EA-4329-826F-1307B5960C0C.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	42693
    Last edited by 108VanGuy; 06-27-2020 at 12:12 AM.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reorganization

Name:	493A351B-CBAF-4B74-8A17-75CA8E25F425.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	42690

Hereís a pic of the VCVan parts so far. These are shown unloaded in the awesome garage of Russ68. These were pulled out of the WedgieVan to rearrange in a better, more sequential order. Some parts are for Russ68 like the 1st gen driverís front door, two Jr West Coast mirrors, some GMC emblems for his 64 and a PRNDL housing and indicator.
    CanadIan has the 1st gen bench seat thatís boxed up. Ian will travel down from Canada once the border reopens. Thank you Russ68 for holding it for him. A service provided for a fellow VCVanner.
    66 BeachCruiser gets the two front seats that are wrapped up in plastic.
    Ry has the fiberglass panels for his 108.
    Vanitti has the 4 sweet pop outs headed his way. Those are the bubble wrapped items near the lift.
    Steady will be receiving the reman steering gear box thatís inside the strangely shaped box.
    And 108VanGuy will be collecting the chrome trim ring that was almost lost on I-5.
    Iím afraid Russís wife thought maybe I was moving in!
    108VanGuy...
    Last edited by 108VanGuy; 06-27-2020 at 01:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safe travels Mark. I'll see you when your down this way for sure.
    1964 Sears van current project
    1966 GMC Handivan on the backburner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

We had a great couple of days. My parts arrived safely.
    We repacked the vanner express for the next leg of the voyage.
    Safe travels Mark
    Russ
    1969 GE "90" Panel TH 350

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please be safe buddy...
    Thank you.
    Mike

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easterly Bound

The Northern leg is complete. Now headed East. Iím on the other side of the Cascade range. Itís such a dramatic change in the climate. From a tropical woodlands to a high desert.
    Russ68, many thanks for the hospitality in that beautiful PNW environment. What an awesome location, 4 bay shop and huge back yard. Might be a perfect place for a VCVan rally. Itís an hour away from the Canadian border. A potential base of operations for a VCV tour. Think about it guys.
    Vanitti, is this the guy that called this the COVID tour? ��. ��
    LedZepVan, many thanks for the hospitality for tonight. This rest stop gains me 3 hours of eastward travel and keeps me from begging Russell for a 3rd night, so thanks a million!
    The next stop is Norfolk, NE. at Doc Yukonís place. This drive is the longest single drive section. Itís like 21 hours drive time.

Name:	05E213AC-F804-4B1F-8B55-BC9A08034159.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	42689
    Weíll see how it goes.
    HereĎs an upside down pic of the PNW on the western side of the cascades. My internet connection her is not good enough to upload more pics but Iíll try later.
    108VanGuy...
    Last edited by 108VanGuy; 06-27-2020 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too soon?

We had to call it something...

Vanitti, is this the guy that called this the COVID tour? ��. ��
    Mike

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings From Wyoming

It was raining pretty good and the blades were making noise so I changed them out and got back on the road.

Name:	692C2CF2-8B13-4F54-AFB9-FC2A9F86B0F0.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	42694
    There was a steady rain for hours through Montana. I caught a few hours sleep at a rest stop and now Iím back on the road. depending on how fast I drive, Iím getting from 14-18 mpg.

The high speed driving really reduces the fuel economy but the long open highways have 80 mph speed limits. Some drivers seem to think thatís a minimum speed.
    Vanitti; Youíre very creative with words and parts also!
    Doc Yukon; here I come.
    108VanGuy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3DA86098-0C1C-45B3-A281-1C01D51D5064.jpg  

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nebraska

It was a long haul, but I made it here. Google says ~21 yours but Thatís if you never stop. DocYukon explained to me where his name came from.

Name:	1632B4A2-539A-4B91-BA50-CEAA1E5F32A5.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	42702
    lots from the Yukon Jack drink.

Name:	EA7AF905-001F-40BD-89F6-8BDF2A3CB3CE.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	42703Doc has been very hospitable to this ďGypsie VCVannerĒ.
    he serve me in a commemorative mug.
    Tomorrow, its off to the Chicago area.
    108VanGuy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice VCV line up. Hope you got some sleep after your Long trip to NE.
    Your heading into Heat & Humidity round here.
    Tom

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Racking Up the Miles

I made it to the Albert Lea area and made sure that the NATS was cancelled. It was.
    Attachment 42715
    From there it was off to near Minneapolis to pickup a 1st gen front clip of LedZepVan. I met a VCVC vanner there (Didnít write down his handle). His name is Jim and heís working on a sweet 2nd gen.
    He has even let me check out his parts stash.
    mAttachment 42717
    We talked about VCVans at length and distance.
    Attachment 42719
    From there it was off to Madison, WI to drop off the 108 interior panels that were picked up in Salem, OR. It was late and Ry was out of town so I left the goods and scooted. Hopefully I can meet up with Ry the next time around. Itís nice to off load the fiberglass panels. Makes it so much easier to see the mirror!
    I tried to hook up with Taz but he was out of town and I gave him too short of a heads up that AJ was going to be in town. Next to me Taz!
    Next up will be Gas and Savage. After that, the southern leg begins in earnest!
    108VanGuy...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made it to the Albert Lea area and made sure that the NATS was cancelled. It was.
    Attachment 42715
    From there it was off to near Minneapolis to pickup a 1st gen front clip of LedZepVan. I met a VCVC vanner there (Didn’t write down his handle). His name is Jim and he’s working on a sweet 2nd gen.
    He has even let me check out his parts stash.
    mAttachment 42717
    We talked about VCVans at length and distance.
    Attachment 42719
    From there it was off to Madison, WI to drop off the 108 interior panels that were picked up in Salem, OR. It was late and Ry was out of town so I left the goods and scooted. Hopefully I can meet up with Ry the next time around. It’s nice to off load the fiberglass panels. Makes it so much easier to see the mirror!
    I tried to hook up with Taz but he was out of town and I gave him too short of a heads up that AJ was going to be in town. Next to me Taz!
    Next up will be Gas and Savage. After that, the southern leg begins in earnest!
    108VanGuy...
    It was great meeting you in person and fun chatting with another VCVC member. Bummer about the Nats but we are set for next year and I hope you make it back! Good luck on the rest of your journey!
    1970 Chevy Sportvan 90 - "Dazed and Confuzed II"
    Lakeville, MN

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Mark for dropping those interior panels in the dead of night. You're a road warrior out there. Stay safe and we shall catch you next time!
    Best,
    Ry
    1968 G10 Sportvan 108 with Turtle Top Camper (350 V8 w/th350)
    1966 G10 Sportvan 90 (Inline 6 w/ 3 on the tree)
    1966 G10 Sportvan Custom 90 (Inline 6 w/ Auto Powerglide)
    1964 G10 Window Van 90 (Inline 6 w/ Auto Powerglide)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kustomizer View Post
    It was great meeting you in person and fun chatting with another VCVC member. Bummer about the Nats but we are set for next year and I hope you make it back! Good luck on the rest of your journey!
    Thanks again Jim for the front Clip! I will keep it safe just in the event I ever need it.
    Thank you Mark for being the VCV parts man across the country.
    See you soon... A Roast Beef dinner is waiting for you!
    Jacke

1964 GMC Handi-Van Custom 350
    1971 Ford Mustang 302
    1957 Karman Ghia Project

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppvan View Post
    Thanks again Jim for the front Clip! I will keep it safe just in the event I ever need it.
    Thank you Mark for being the VCV parts man across the country.
    See you soon... A Roast Beef dinner is waiting for you!
    Good to hear. I was kind of said to see it go as I was going to custom paint it and hang it on my garage wall. But I'm glad you are getting it.
    1970 Chevy Sportvan 90 - "Dazed and Confuzed II"
    Lakeville, MN

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day 8 report

I picked up LedZepVan’s front clip from Kustomizer. Jim is on the NATS council that organizes our events. It’s a lot of work and it’s too bad the NATS was COVID cancelled, hopefully next year. From Kustomizer’s place I drove to Evansville WI to drop off the fiberglass panels for Ry. It’s now 3 am and I’m trying to find his house to drop this friggin fiberglass panel set. Problem is that google maps is unclear as to exactly which house is his. I have an exact address but google maps says there it is. The numbers on the house are a lot different than the lighted address numbers I’m used to. Ok so I unload a bunch of stuff from the back of the WedgieVan to get this long wood framed monstrosity out of the back. At 3 am I’m offloading VCV parts onto a residential street sidewalk. I’m thinking I could get arrested just for that. (Make it quick Mark!) I’ve got the panels unloaded but there’s some confusion as to where I should put them. I’m carrying 10’+ panels into the backyard of a private residence at 0300. I’m supposed to put them under a set of saw horses but I’m not seeing them. I pull out my flashlight to check the scene. Still not seeing them. Dude,whatever! Drop the panels in the back yard and get the heck out of there! You’re in someone’s backyard shining a flashlight around. I know you’re tired but does this seem a little “sketchy”? Drop the goods and get outta there! So that’s what I did. I delivered the panels from Olympia, WA. See ya! I’m walking out of the backyard and onto the street to the WedgieVan when I now notice the address over the door, and it’s the wrong one. Dang that google maps app (yeah right, it’s all THEIR fault). I go back into the wrong back yard that I just got done shining a flash all around to pick up this panel set. I grab it, hoist it onto my shoulders and try to get out of the backyard without getting shot. its hard to see where I’m going when I’ve got a 10’+ wood frame panel on my shoulders and my head is poking out the middle window opening so I end up kicking a few downspouts alongside the wrong addresses house. (Mark, what are you doing so far from home?). So here I am walking down the street shoulder carrying a a complete 108 SportVan interior fiberglass panel set down a sidewalk looking for the right address. Yeah, lotta people do that judge, completely normal. So I finally find the correct location and, as instructed, March up the neighbors driveway to access his gate. It’s hard to open while balancing 50+ year old panels. I figure out how the gate opens, leave the panel set and get proceed to get the heck outta there. I figured the best thing to do at that point was to put as many miles as possible between me and that town.
    More later.
    108VanGuy...
    Last edited by 108VanGuy; 07-01-2020 at 09:49 PM.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Time at Gasís Place

I was scheduled to arrive at Gasís place today. When I got there, Savage was waiting! The was trying to hook up with him in Fort Wayne and he ended up driving down.

Name:	C0BEAF9E-8A6E-4475-8DAC-1582A8B45AC5.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	42724
    Mini 2nd gen rally in Indiana. A 67, 68, and 69. Gas has the straightest VCV Iíve ever seen. And after all these years I finally get to meet Savage. A solid VCVanner with a killer 68. He even let me drive it! We had a great time talking about VCVans, eating pizza and enjoying the evening in Gasís backyard.

Name:	480022C7-3485-4D93-B0D5-52E59A6219E0.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	42725
    Great times!
    108VanGuy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hope you got some Rest from your Long night on Mon.(glad you told the story about the delivery to RY, (I Freaked out when you told us)
    Was Great meting you after all the year's since you sent me the Major Vanner Bonza (65 & 68 Vantante's Full of CA part's )
    And all you do to Help Vanner's out Everywhere on your 6000 mile Vanner Express circle of he USA.
    Also want to Thank Gas & his Wife for there hospitality (& great pizza) Gas doe's have one of the straights van I have seen
    Hope your trip South go's well & all's well in TX, and your trip Home
    Wish you would of had more time , so we could hit some Yard's around here. Hopefully Next time(If you ever get rested up)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0672 (2).jpg  
    Tom

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGE View Post
    Hope you got some Rest from your Long night on Mon.(glad you told the story about the delivery to RY, (I Freaked out when you told us)
    Wow, sorry about that Mark - I gotta hear that story over a beer at the Nats next year. I read your post and also freaked out and wondered where you could have been wandering through backyards and sidewalks for that late-night delivery. Google Maps usually gets folks right there, but i apologize for not giving you a pin to navigate to or a marked up screenshot. I really wish i could have been there to greet you, and I'm glad it worked out in the end.
    Safe travels,
    Ry
    1968 G10 Sportvan 108 with Turtle Top Camper (350 V8 w/th350)
    1966 G10 Sportvan 90 (Inline 6 w/ 3 on the tree)
    1966 G10 Sportvan Custom 90 (Inline 6 w/ Auto Powerglide)
    1964 G10 Window Van 90 (Inline 6 w/ Auto Powerglide)

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VCVannin Adventures

Ryleeji; it all turned out well so no worries. The part was delivered and I stayed out of jail. ;>).
    Since you were out of town anyway, I appreciated the opportunity to deliver the goods at the early hour that I arrived. The Google maps time estimates seem to be based on road hours only. There's no allowance for fuel stops, traffic, and unpredictable road construction delays. On the longer distances between stops, it becomes more difficult to predict when I will arrive.
    Day 10 report.
    I left Gas's place (North of Indianapolis) early Thursday and arrived in north Texas early Friday. Stopped at the Love's Travel Center for a shower and place to park. Then it was up early to spring my surprise visit on mom and family. I'll stay here enjoying, mom's cooking, family visits and air conditioning. I'll update some of the previous posts with pictures now that I have access to a laptop. The smartphone is not too good for postings pics and the connections were weak.
    I wish I could be traveling with my fellow VCVanners on this trip but maybe in the future. Many thanks to 66BeachCruiser, Vanitti and others who have called while I'm on the road. It helps me stay alert.
    108VanGuy...

User Tag List