Thread: Brake lights problem

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake lights problem

Howdy all,

New 69 G-20 owner here and I am trying to get the old girl ready for a mandatory Texas safety inspection. I do not have brake lights showing and wanted to confirm that they light up in the long red bezel (and not the small white ones underneath) at the rear of the car. I am assuming that the white ones (which I just figured out are not wired in currently) are the back up lights, but I am interested in knowing your expert opinions on this too?

Also, assuming that I may have to trace down the wiring up front, I was wondering about how to access the brake light switch. I assume it is a hydraulic pressure switch on the master cylinder? I have found the bottom of the cylinder when crawling around down there, but it does not seem I have access to the sides or top. I assume that there is access of course, since fluid needs to be added, etc...

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated...this van is in terrific shape, but ironing out the oddities is always fun detective work.

Thanks!

Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Craig
    The switch is under the brake pedal where it go's through the floor.
    It got 2 wires on it(white & orange) Orange is the hot from fuse box. White goes through the turn signal switch to back of van.
    You can jump those two wires and should have brake lights.
    Do your turn signals & flashers work??
    Hope this Helps. Any more Questions just ask.(That's what were here for, to Keep VCV on (or Back on)the road)
    Post some pic of your van when you get a chance(we all like VCV pics)
    Tom

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGE View Post
    Welcome Craig
    The switch is under the brake pedal where it go's through the floor.
    It got 2 wires on it(white & orange) Orange is the hot from fuse box. White goes through the turn signal switch to back of van.
    You can jump those two wires and should have brake lights.
    Do your turn signals & flashers work??
    Hope this Helps. Any more Questions just ask.(That's what were here for, to Keep VCV on (or Back on)the road)
    Post some pic of your van when you get a chance(we all like VCV pics)

Thanks for the info Tom! Providing the wire colors and routing is really useful.

So the switch is directly under the pedal or closer to the bottom part of the accelerator arm where it enters into the floorboard?

Yep, the signals work. So I suppose the brake lights are supposed to show up within the red portion? I also suppose the smaller white bezel is indeed the back up lights? (sorry about the dumb questions here, I just want to be sure that I am not chasing down the wrong things). Here is a pic of the van...I am going to make it into a Mystery Machine replica for my son. He is a huge Scooby Doo fan and wants to "own" a car like the rest of us.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JacksonVAN.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	42696

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Craig , Looks like you got a nice soild van for your son.
    yes the white len's on the back are the back up lights, do they work??( should have switch on side of trans)
    All your other lights work Right??
    Here is a through the grill pic(got belly pan on) of brake switch.
    I (carefully)pull those 2 wires off switch and see if you got power on Orange, make sure the contacts on switch are clean (could be corroded if it been setting)then use test lead with alligator clips hook them together(have your son watch). If you got brake lights it's the switch. Hope this Help's and make's sense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0786.jpg  
    Last edited by SAVAGE; 06-29-2020 at 10:21 AM.
    Tom

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Craig , Looks like you got a nice soild van for your son.
    yes the white len's on the back are the back up lights, do they work??( should have switch on side of trans)
    All your other lights work Right??
    Here is a through the grill pic(got belly pan on) of brake switch.
    I (carefully)pull those 2 wires off switch and see if you got power on Orange, make sure the contacts on switch are clean (could be corroded if it been setting)then use test lead with alligator clips hook them together(have your son watch). If you got brake lights it's the switch. Hope this Help's and make's sense.

The back up lights don't work BUT I saw that they are not even hooked up currently last night, so that will be something I work on between the trans and those currently-unwired sockets. The rest of the lights actually work so I think that there is a switch issue. I really appreciate the picture and the wiring wisdom. Shouldn't be too tough to work through it now, with your great pic.

Really appreciate it!

Craig

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy Craig.

If you have questions about our vans, this the best place for info and/or parts leads. No such thing as a dumb question round here.
    Glad to see another "Scooby" fan, I have a similar plan for my 66, having grown up watching the gang, and being a long time "Meddling Kid" myself. Best of luck on y'all's journey.

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again all...I hope to be working through this over the long weekend. I have definitely now seen the switch in my van and will be testing on it ASAP. To add one similar question, the back up lights switch/sensor is on the transmission or does it run up front to the shifter, etc...? (automatic TH350 transmission)

Thanks!

Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Craig not for sure about 350 trans
    But here are a few pics of switch on PG (with non stock coat hanger adjuster rod(LOL)
    Should be connter at back of doghouse(4 wire plug)
    Hope it helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0508.jpg   IMG_0509.jpg  
    Tom

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Craig not for sure about 350 trans
    But here are a few pics of switch on PG (with non stock coat hanger adjuster rod(LOL)
    Should be connter at back of doghouse(4 wire plug)
    Hope it helps.

Really helps, thanks for the great pics!

Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know if we can help anymore.
    Hope you find your problem & get it on the road soon.
    My 68 G-20 from CA (Thanks again Mark)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0356.jpg  
    Tom

User Tag List