Thread: Lost power to panel and dome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lost power to panel and dome

I have a 67 Chevy Van and I am try to understand how the rheostat obtains power. It seems the Brown wire is jumpered on the headlight switch with the rheostat on one leg and the other leg is the dark green wire carrying current to the panel cluster. I don't see any other way the rheostat is powered up. I have lost the cluster and the dome lights... Any thoughts? I have replaced the switch and can manually jumper the dark green wirw and the dome lights...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Just learned

The orange wire for the dome also has continuous power and dome is controlled by ground but still no luck...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Orange wiire is also spliced into brake lights. Do you have the dash pulled out(not grounded with screw that holds it in?? Dash lights use a single grey wire & are grounded through cluster to dash.
    have you pulled dome light lose & look at back side of wires?? seen Many that have been fried from over heating(Darn bulbs get REAL hot.
    Hope this Helps some, & make some sense??
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Problem Solved

I removed the mating terminals inside the headlight connector and tested them out individually and all worked fine. The small clip that holds each copper terminal wasn't catching inside the plastic connector and never delivering power to the switch except for the red full time power. The orange and the dark green were being pushed out of the plastic connector causing the dash cluster and the dome lights to not power up. I pried the small clip out further and everything works fine...

User Tag List