Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Time for a new clutch

  1. #1
    VCVC Member Tanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Time for a new clutch

    So, looks like its time for a new clutch, not bad for 50 years on the original tho! So, first question is, is a 68 2nd Gen 3 speed manual a 10 or 11 spline and what size disc does it run? As I will be ordering from the UK, what do I require for a complete replacement kit. Thanks as always.

  2. #2
    VCVC Member kookykrispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Apple Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,550
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 spline. probably 10 or 10.5" The best thing is to remove your old one and measure. A replacement clutch kit will usually include pressure plate, friction disc, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and clutch alignment tool. Always have your flywheel resurfaced when installing a new clutch.



    64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

  3. #3
    VCVC Member Tanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
    10 spline. probably 10 or 10.5" The best thing is to remove your old one and measure. A replacement clutch kit will usually include pressure plate, friction disc, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and clutch alignment tool. Always have your flywheel resurfaced when installing a new clutch.
    Thank you! Next dumb question, how do you measure? And is it maybe best to get a new flywheel rather than re facing?

  4. #4
    Administrator smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    6,178
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanz View Post
    Thank you! Next dumb question, how do you measure? And is it maybe best to get a new flywheel rather than re facing?
    Measure the clutch disc. Also, take your flywheel to a shop to have it re-surfaced. They'll tell you if it's time for a new one.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

  5. #5
    VCVC Member Tanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    Measure the clutch disc. Also, take your flywheel to a shop to have it re-surfaced. They'll tell you if it's time for a new one.
    Thanks Smiley!

  6. #6
    VCVC Charter Member Vanner68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Kimball MI USA
    Posts
    13,439
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything that you have to order, it is best to inspect and measure the parts you have to ensure you get the right ones the first time.

    As far as the flywheel goes, unless it's heavily scored or warped, it can probably be resurfaced. TBH, I've never had one resurfaced if the clutch engagement was still smooth with the old clutch, i.e. no 'chatter'.

    I've just cleaned them up lightly with a wire wheel, then go over the whole surface with an oiled stone, the type you would use for a knife, but use a new stone so it's flat. All you really need to do is break the glaze.

    Heavily rusted, pitted or scored, I replace it.
    Gregg Groff


    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

    1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

    1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •