• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tanz
    VCVC Member
    • Apr 2018

Time for a new clutch

So, looks like its time for a new clutch, not bad for 50 years on the original tho! So, first question is, is a 68 2nd Gen 3 speed manual a 10 or 11 spline and what size disc does it run? As I will be ordering from the UK, what do I require for a complete replacement kit. Thanks as always.
  • kookykrispy
    VCVC Member
    • Oct 2002

10 spline. probably 10 or 10.5" The best thing is to remove your old one and measure. A replacement clutch kit will usually include pressure plate, friction disc, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and clutch alignment tool. Always have your flywheel resurfaced when installing a new clutch.

64' wikivan 292 tripower/4 speed/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project.. soon to be 400SBC/200r/3.73 posi

Originally posted by Vanner68
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Comment

• Tanz
      VCVC Member
      • Apr 2018

Originally posted by kookykrispy View Post
      10 spline. probably 10 or 10.5" The best thing is to remove your old one and measure. A replacement clutch kit will usually include pressure plate, friction disc, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and clutch alignment tool. Always have your flywheel resurfaced when installing a new clutch.
      Thank you! Next dumb question, how do you measure? And is it maybe best to get a new flywheel rather than re facing?

Comment

• smiley
        Administrator
        • Apr 2000

Originally posted by Tanz View Post
        Thank you! Next dumb question, how do you measure? And is it maybe best to get a new flywheel rather than re facing?
        Measure the clutch disc. Also, take your flywheel to a shop to have it re-surfaced. They'll tell you if it's time for a new one.
        1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
        1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Comment

• Tanz
          VCVC Member
          • Apr 2018

Originally posted by smiley View Post
          Measure the clutch disc. Also, take your flywheel to a shop to have it re-surfaced. They'll tell you if it's time for a new one.
          Thanks Smiley!

Comment

• Vanner68
            VCVC Charter Member
            • May 2000

Anything that you have to order, it is best to inspect and measure the parts you have to ensure you get the right ones the first time.

As far as the flywheel goes, unless it's heavily scored or warped, it can probably be resurfaced. TBH, I've never had one resurfaced if the clutch engagement was still smooth with the old clutch, i.e. no 'chatter'.

I've just cleaned them up lightly with a wire wheel, then go over the whole surface with an oiled stone, the type you would use for a knife, but use a new stone so it's flat. All you really need to do is break the glaze.

Heavily rusted, pitted or scored, I replace it.
            Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

Working...
            X