• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • November66
    VCVC Member
    • Sep 2015

Information is needed please.

I just got off the phone with Tom from 12Bolt and discuss the exchange of taking out my 230/250 and installing a 292. His question to me is to ask is anyone has a 292 installed in the second generation Chevy van? He stated that the 292 is 2” taller than the 230/250 and it may not fit with the carburetor installed.
    Does anyone already have the 292 in their second generation? Please help me!
    Patrick Lemell
    1969 108
    Keep on Vannin'
  • SteelyVan
    Van Addict
    • Jan 2011

From what I recall others doing......Putting blocks in between the engine crossmember and frame-rail connections....and or flipping the doghouse lid front-to-back? Wait for a reply from those who have done this swap....I think folks were also upgrading to automatic OD trans set-ups at the same time as the motor swap. This would mandate a new non-stock trans crossmember to align with the dropped engine crossmember. Somebody here will chime in with more concise info of what they had to do.

Comment

• November66
      VCVC Member
      • Sep 2015

Thanks. I’ll wait.
      Patrick Lemell
      1969 108
      Keep on Vannin'

Comment

• SteelyVan
        Van Addict
        • Jan 2011

Fliipping of doghouse lid may have been for accommodating the need for raising radiator.... getting the filler neck high enuf to bleed air from cooling system.

Comment

• November66
          VCVC Member
          • Sep 2015

That make since.
          Patrick Lemell
          1969 108
          Keep on Vannin'

Comment

• panelmanrd
            VCVC Member
            • Oct 2009

i lowered the crossmember to the engine 2 inches, to lower the fan in the \
            radiator, and to allow air to escape the doghouse, had to lower the trans as
            well.
            I have a rad cap in the upper hose using a 28 inch crossflow radiator from
            speedway motors, rad caps are both 16 lbs the overflow fittings are teed and
            plumbed to an over flow can
            54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
            64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
            69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

Comment

• November66
              VCVC Member
              • Sep 2015

Did you have a problem with your carburetor positioning? I would like to go with a four barrel.
              Patrick Lemell
              1969 108
              Keep on Vannin'

Comment

• jrinaman
                VCVC Member
                • Apr 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190807_191938952 (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	447080 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190807_174629923.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	447081 292 in a first gen. second pic is how i lowered the engine. it was temporarily hanging from one long bolt so i could get to the carb linkage but that big nut is my spacer. an edelbrok will fit if turned backwards and probably the simplest but dual webers is the way to go.
                '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Comment

• Leroy Jackson
                  Certifiable Vanatic
                  • Oct 2012

You could always just raise the doghouse lid clearance.

That is what I did to fit a blower on mine.

I cut a big hole and fabbed up a drop on cover.

This allowed the drivetrain geometry to remain corrrect.

If you drop the engine, you drop the trans too. This may throw the driveshaft out of alignment and you would end up eating u-joints faster then normal, or pick up vibrations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	447082
                  The Raped Ape
                  1970 G-20 Krylon black
                  Swing up cargo doors
                  Supercharged 383
                  4L80E transmission
                  Detroit trutrac rear limited slip

Comment

• November66
                    VCVC Member
                    • Sep 2015

I appreciate the requested information answers. You guys have given me homework to do. Thanks to everyone.
                    Patrick Lemell
                    1969 108
                    Keep on Vannin'

Comment

• 108VanGuy
                      VCVC Member
                      • Jul 2004

That's Just How the Club Rolls

Helping other VCVanners with project ideas, parts and experience. We all love our VCVs and are happy to show you how we did it.
                      108VanGuy...
                      1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
                      1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
                      1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
                      1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
                      1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
                      1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
                      1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
                      1969 G20 Shell

Comment

• November66
                        VCVC Member
                        • Sep 2015

Thanks guys. You are all great!
                        Patrick Lemell
                        1969 108
                        Keep on Vannin'

Comment

• AzDon
                          Van Addict
                          • Feb 2002

U-joints must rep same degrees of bent power path, as the trans thru-shaft and the pinion shaft need to be on parallel planes to be in phase and the "s" shape of the power path between those shafts should be less than three degrees on each end....
                          Maybe not clear, so lets try this:
                          The imaginary line drawn through the transmission main shaft needs to run at the same degrees to the ground as the imaginary line drawn through the pinion (differential) shaft....
                          This pretty much guarantees that the two shafts don't point at each other!
                          If the two shafts are on parallel planes, the u-joint angles of both u-joints will be the same number of degrees and the two ends will be in phase and free of vibration....Best results are achieved when those u-joints are at a less than a 3 degree angle between the two shafts each joint is bridging....To get to that ideal 3 degrees (or less) angle, the engine trans may need to go up or down some to straighten out the relationship of the three shafts....
                          Obviously, the shorter the driveshaft, the closer to the same height (from the ground) the parallel planes need to be to keep the short driveshat from needing to bridge a big height gap and therefore need severe u-joint angles... A longer driveshaft gap can spread a larger height difference over fewer degrees of u-joint angle.... So it's much easier to get the driveshaft angles within specs after lowering the drivetrain in a 108 van than in a 90 van...
                          Last edited by AzDon; 09-19-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• lvjjj
                            VCVC Member
                            • Sep 2007

I did not lower the mounts to lower the 292, sits where 230 did, just two inches higher. I did flip the doghouse lid around to accommodate the Weber two barrel on top of the Clifford adaptor. The carb actually sits just about where the doghouse changes heights. Looking at it from underneath, I don't think I needed to flip it around, would have been enough clearance. I like it though as when the hot air comes in, it is forced down and out as the lower part is in back. I also like resting my elbow on the higher lid.
                            LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
                            1965, 292, TH350
                            purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Comment

Working...
                            X