Thread: Saginaw 3 speed manual

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saginaw 3 speed manual

Have asked a couple of the guys ref an issue I have been having. In short, was unable to change gears and became stuck in 2nd. Replaced bushings and tightened linkage which had become very loose over time. Stripped off selector plate and noticed the detent hadn't fully retracted on reverse gear. Put it back in place and reconnected everything. Shifted ok apart from 3rd jumping out of gear on occasion.
    Noticed again today a slight hang up in 1st. Need to slightly adjust at the trans for 3rd to hopefully cure the jumping out of gear. But what I want to know is if this could be a ongoing issue with the gear box or is it a case of setting the levers again? Or, could I be a issue up front in the shifter mechanism (I haven't stripped that yet)?
    I did notice that for the detent to retract its a very narrow lip that stops it from moving further forward that it should in the gear box.
    Apologies for any errors, learning this as I go along...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest aid to smooth shifting in any GM column shift vehicle is technique. I've owned several, some were only a few years old at the time, and one thing the GM column shift absolutely hates is 'hurried shifting'. Smooth and a deliberating following of the "H" pattern will prevent the lockup between 1st and 2nd gear. Hopping out of 3rd is definitely an adjustment issue, but even in the best scenario, column shifts resist speed shifting.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    The biggest aid to smooth shifting in any GM column shift vehicle is technique. I've owned several, some were only a few years old at the time, and one thing the GM column shift absolutely hates is 'hurried shifting'. Smooth and a deliberating following of the "H" pattern will prevent the lockup between 1st and 2nd gear. Hopping out of 3rd is definitely an adjustment issue, but even in the best scenario, column shifts resist speed shifting.
    Thank you, i do forget sometimes how simple these vans are, will definitely be looking at the adjustment again.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saginaw 3 speed manual

"Smooth and a deliberating following of the "H" pattern will prevent the lockup between 1st and 2nd gear."

Ditto
    Gary
    1965 Display

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The van is up on the ramp next week for a service, good job too as I cant engage 1st gear at all now! Got R, 2 and 3 no problem. Before I strip out the gear box any ideas...

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saginaw 3 speed manual lock-up

You can do this on the ground & test before cracking into the tranny or clutch system.

1) Insure ALL bushings and grommets are new or tight as our linkage system is so flimsy to begin with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.040 Shift linkage 1965 2nd Des & 1966 IPC.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	43362.

2) Put the tranny in neutral

3) At the locations shown in View A, loosen the linkage to a free state such they can move freely along their respective rod assy.

4) Wiggle and move the shifter so that it feels "loose" & free in the neutral position.

5) For the linkage loosened in step 3., keep the linkage "captured" their at self adjusted position & secure.

6) Test drive
    Last edited by gfleduc; 10-19-2020 at 04:54 AM.
    Gary
    1965 Display

User Tag List