• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lebster
    New Guy
    • May 2019

More heating queries

So with all the issues with running hot, there's doesn't seem to be much comment about what temp thermostat to use. Just finishing up installing a rebuilt 4 core for my 69 G10 with 350/350. Flushed the block and new pump. Also changed from a 5 blade to 7 blade clutch fan. But what is the best therm to use? It had a 195 in it but was thinking a 180 would keep it a bit cooler. Picked up both 195 and 180 Stant Super Stats. Might try experimenting with each to see what works best. Any thoughts?
  • BILLJ386
    New Guy
    • Aug 2020

Temp?

Kinda depends on where do you live. Plus I don't have a heater core hooked up either.
    I'm in Daytona Bch and run a 180 deg on my mild 440. Also I drilled two 3/16 holes across from each other in the thermostat housing before install.
    Good Luck!

Comment

• garagedoordennis
      VCVC Member
      • Jan 2013

Kinda depends on what you want your engine temp to run at. Right now i have no thermostat in and can run down the road with no fan at all. Will stay between 160 and 180 all the time. If I'm in town I just turn on the electric fan and works great. 350/ auto ....the lower scoop was what really fixed any issues. If your cooling system can keep thing cool without any help from a fan while the van is moving then you have a good setup. My electric fan is on back of radiator pulling air through it . No motor fan needed
      1968 Chevy 90 250/700r/Fuel Injected - sold and missed
      1966 Chevy handyvan 350/auto (work in progress)
      1965 GMC 350/auto ( just had to have )

Comment

• Leroy Jackson
        Certifiable Vanatic
        • Oct 2012

The hotter you can run the engine, the more efficient it will be.

I use a 180 thermostat year round and aim to keep my temps below 200. 185-195 it seems to run the best. Studies point to roughly 195-210, but that is too close to the boiling point of standard 50/50 coolant and well past that of straight water for my taste.

So it depends on the efficiency of your cooling system and tolerances of your engine.
        The Raped Ape
        1970 G-20 Krylon black
        Swing up cargo doors
        Supercharged 383
        4L80E transmission
        Detroit trutrac rear limited slip

Comment

• lvjjj
          VCVC Member
          • Sep 2007

What temp thermo you use depends on what you are using the van for and time of year. When we were towing in the summer in the desert southwest, I'd use a 160 degree stat. A 180 or 195 would allow it to heat up too much too quickly and become a run-away overheater. Once the temp gets past 190 or so, it just keeps going on up and you can't stop it without shutting down. In the winter I do run a hotter stat in order to get the heater to work good.
          LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
          1965, 292, TH350
          purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Comment

• Lebster
            New Guy
            • May 2019

Thanks for the ideas. I'm in the Pacific NW, so we don't see a lot of 90 degree days. Since the system is close to stock and have all the shields in place, sounds like either 180 or 195 would work ok. I did drive it a bit this summer with no issues, but now that I'm digging deeper into servicing the engine I find the cooling system was not set up correctly. On the upper rad hose the small 1/4 line going to the expansion tank was actually attached to the overflow fitting at the cap, and the 1/4 fitting on the expansion tank was open to air as an overflow tube. Weird. So the system was never under pressure.

Does anyone have some pics of the upper rad to block hose showing the shape and routing of the hoses and the steel tube with the small hose going to the expansion tank? Which way does the steel tube install? The V-8 hoses I bought do not look like what I took out and I don't find any pics in the shop manual. Thanks!

Comment

• panelmanrd
              VCVC Member
              • Oct 2009

when mine had that set up in it the tube with the 1/4 inch tube was installed
              pointing to the rad and the 1/4 hose went to the expansion tank.
              54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
              64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
              69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

Comment

Working...
              X