Thread: Corvette turbines on 67 108 yes or no?

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corvette turbines on 67 108 yes or no?

Hello all! I've been tossing around ideas for a wheel and tire combination for my 108 and came across a set of turbines that I really like. They're 15x8.5 fronts and 15x10 rears. The guy says they were a factory option for corvettes and made by appliance in 76. He also said he's unsure of the back spacing but my main concern is the 8.5" fronts. I was thinking 295/50/15 in the rear and something a little smaller upfront to get a nice staggered look but im worried i won't be able to get the look or even be able to fit the 8.5" up front without having some rubbing or turning issues. Anyone have any recommendations on tire size or any input on whether or not it will work?

Thanks for any input!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SmartSelect_20201201-174625_Facebook.jpg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quick referenced the BF Goodrich website (Radial TA) to see their tire width to rim width recommendations to get you started. A 235 is the most narrow to fit a 8.5 wide rim. I recall vanners here needing to massage the frontmost wheelwell corners for similarly wide tires over 215 for turning clearance. Backspacing and sidewall height will factor-in too. Do an advanced search (upper right) on this forum page to read details by others. Parallel parking can be a challenge too with more meat up front. It does look cool though.
    Last edited by SteelyVan; 12-01-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    recently finished a project 65 chevy van with 8 inch wide put 235/60 15 on front with
    no rubbing issues.
    54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
    64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
    69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelyVan View Post
    I quick referenced the BF Goodrich website (Radial TA) to see their tire width to rim width recommendations to get you started. A 235 is the most narrow to fit a 8.5 wide rim. I recall vanners here needing to massage the frontmost wheelwell corners for similarly wide tires over 215 for turning clearance. Backspacing and sidewall height will factor-in too. Do an advanced search (upper right) on this forum page to read details by others. Parallel parking can be a challenge too with more meat up front. It does look cool though.
    Thanks for the info! I did a little more digging looking for pictures of people running the same combination wheels (mostly pictures on c10 forums) and most of them were running the 235 front and 295 not that that has anything to do with fitment or anything but its definitely more meat up front than what I was anticipated but is still a good staggered look to it. I also went and checked the wheels out today and the back spacing is 3.5" front 3.75" rear. The guy was nice enough to send me home with one of each to test fit to get a little bit of an idea on clearance so ill give that a try tomorrow evening.

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panelmanrd View Post
    recently finished a project 65 chevy van with 8 inch wide put 235/60 15 on front with
    no rubbing issues.
    Thats good news then! I doubt the .5" will make substantial enough difference to cause any major issues. What size wheel/tire did you use in the rear? And do you know what back spacing were on your fronts by chance?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it rubs, its going to be the front corner of the wheel well. There is way more metal here than there needs to be, so simply take a hand sledge hammer and work it in until no more rubbing. I have done this on all my vans, easy and no problems.

Those are awesome wheels, you should definitely run them, they will look just right on your van.

64' wikivan 292 tripower/4 speed/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project.. soon to be 400SBC/200r/3.73 posi

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
    If it rubs, its going to be the front corner of the wheel well. There is way more metal here than there needs to be, so simply take a hand sledge hammer and work it in until no more rubbing. I have done this on all my vans, easy and no problems.

Those are awesome wheels, you should definitely run them, they will look just right on your van.
    Awesome sounds simple enough. Well I ended up getting them and luckily I had a set of 14" japan made slots the guy was interested in so we did an even trade. He even threw in spinner centers and lugnuts. Got the pair of 295s mounted and on the 67 now I'm just waiting on the front pair to come in. Im really digging it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201205_121344.jpg   20201205_120702.jpg   20201205_120640.jpg  

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run 15 x 10 on the rear with 255 60 15 and 14 x 7 on the front with 235 60 14 on my 69 108.. 295's may rub with any weight in the back?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200519_183748_832.jpg   IMG_20200531_110211_468.jpg  

User Tag List