Thread: New Hanger solution for 200 4R

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Hanger solution for 200 4R

Just installed a 200 4R I had rebuilt. Came up with a way to hang the rear mount without interfering with existing exhaust.
    Hope this works, have not had it out on the road yet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03865.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	43727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03866.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	43728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03867.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	43729

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good did you hook up the tv cable if so what engine do you have i was thinking of installing a 2004r as well i have a 250 6cyl but the tv cable seems to be the big issue

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vulch View Post
    Looks good did you hook up the tv cable if so what engine do you have i was thinking of installing a 2004r as well i have a 250 6cyl but the tv cable seems to be the big issue
    Did not hook the TV cable up yet. Engine is 283 with Edelbrock carb. Will fabricate a bracket for the cable at the carb. I'll post a pic when it's done.
    The dipstick tube was a bit of a pain, bought an aftermarket universal one and it needed some major re-bending.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Floyd;275687]Did not hook the TV cable up yet. Engine is 283 with Edelbrock carb. Will fabricate a bracket for the cable at the carb. I'll post a pic when it's done.
    The dipstick tube was a bit of a pain, bought an aftermarket universal one and it needed some major re-bending.[/Q

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a clever way to deal with the tranny mount being so far back on a 200R4.

If you’re hooking up a TV cable to an Edelbrock carb on a V8, there are TV mounting brackets available. Do a search. But I had to fabricate my own for my 6 cylinder. You can buy the part with the square hole for the TV cable to start with but the rest is tricky. Lots of info on how I did the 700R4 on my van’s thread:

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/...an-deluxe#5330

And I helped Scott put a 200R4 in his.
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/...travel-cruiser

We both have 250s and had no trouble running these newer trannies.

I fabricated a hanger for ours to avoid having a crossmember under the tranny and in the way. I’ve got extra steel pipe for the top of the hanger that fits the rubber bushings, if anyone needs it.

I lowered my engine with 1.5” blocks and made my tranny hanger drop the tranny down just enough to keep the tranny from hitting that crossmember. On Scott’s we made two cuts in the lip of the crossmember and used a jack to bend it up out of the way.

Regarding the TV bracket, I fiddled around quite a bit to get the throw just right on mine. Turns out I didn’t get it quite right though. Recently learned that my TV cable reaches its limit a bit too soon, which keeps my carb from reaching full throttle!

Here’s a bit of info from a guy at Bowtie Overdrive that I wish I had had sooner:
    The TV cable on a 700R4 should move 1.59" from idle to full throttle. That moves the other end of the cable from just touching the plunger to fully depressing the plunger. This is all determined by the length (or radius) of the lever you attach to your throttle linkage. So I’ve got to shorten mine slightly. Make sense?! I bet they could tell you the throw for a 200R4 too.
    VANagain

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a lot of good info, thanks ! I 'll be making my own TV cable bracket as well, right now anything I mail order might not get here until next year.
    Plus I enjoy making stuff.....A friend has the same 283 -200 4r combo in his hot rod, I'll be checking his set up out.
    I did not have to modify the cross member, I measured from floor to center of driveshaft on the powerglide and mounted the 200 same distance down.
    Left me with about 1/16 space on top. Buying some Heim-Joints tomorrow for the shift linkage. Will post some pics when it's done.

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few more pics of 200 4R install

Here are a few more pics. I left the bellcrank that operated the Powerglide in place.
    Made up a linkage using two 5/16 Heim Joints and Allthread. The 1 1/8 square tubing piece
    bolted to the U-shaped piece that came on the 200. Also used the old neutral cut out and
    reverse switch. Spent about a day fiddling with the right radius to make it all work.
    On the bottom of the steering collum is a hardened steel plate with notches which locks
    the shift lever in park for safety. This took a bit of modifying to get it to operate through
    all 7 positions reather than the the 5 of the powerglide. Forgot to take pics of that, sorry.
    Went for a drive around the block today and all seemed fine,highway test later.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03874.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	43790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03875.jpg 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	43791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03876.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	43792

I also installed a Vacuum Operated Switch right at the carb and a manual switch on the collum.
    Power for the lockout solenoid comes from the fuse panel through a relay which is triggered
    by the brake light switch.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03872.jpg 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	43793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03873.jpg 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	43794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03877.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	43795

The TV cable is hooked to the Edelbrock by a bracked made by them for the 200 and 700 transmissions.
    The bracket which holds the cable is home made.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03878.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	43796

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice

Great pics, good explanation.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
    1969 G20 Shell

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2004R update

Finally got everything sorted out and working great. At first I had a really hard engagement from neutral to drive. Took tranny back out and back to shop.
    Turns out he did not install the two wavy plates in the forward clutch. While fixing that he literally dropped the ball by dropping a check ball and not noticing it .
    When I re installed tranny I had no 4th. gear. I then took the valve body out myself, downloaded a manual and put everything where it belongs. There were a couple springs missing as well. The builder at least apologized and gave me some money back.
    Now everything works great, at 65mph the little 283 turns 1900rpm in overdrive and lock up. But it really feels like it has a lot more pep than it did with
    the Powerglide. Looking forward to some road trips this summer with my dog in the passenger seat and my cot in the back........

User Tag List