Thread: Carburetor ID??

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carburetor ID??

I need help to ID the carb on my '69.

I don't drive on the salted roads in winter so I start the engine, bring it up to temp every couple weeks and this weekend I had a massive fuel leak.
    Hopefully the pics here work now so I can get some help from.
    NO PICS!!!!
    I can't upload the attachments

In a google search for a rebuild kit "1969 G10 carburetor" I found this on fleabay, if my understanding is correct I have a 292 6 cyl, would this be the right carb?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Barrel-Ca...wAAOSw95FZaHaY

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
    I need help to ID the carb on my '69.
    Here are a couple of web sites to help ID:

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Che...ks_c_1113.html

https://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumb...Number=7029007

Parts get changed out over the years - is it a Rochester or Carter carb?

Also, you may consider a rebuild kit $15 / $25 before buying a new carb. Vans sometimes have van specific parts that make 'universal' replacements a challenge to hook up linkages, hoses, and tubes.
    Last edited by 65Mark; 03-07-2021 at 09:25 AM.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark that is exactly the info I need. If I can find a way to get a pic posted I will.
    Two reasons that item stood out for me were price and the fact I have never worked on a carb. I have the '69 service manuals and a little mechanical ability, not much but,,, at least I know where to ask advice!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like the float is sticking. small speck of dirt or just dried and stuck. if it ran good before, shouldnt need rebuilt. smack it a few times (without breaking anything) and see if it lets loose. if not, take off the top of the carb, remove the float, wipe off the needle and reassemble! 99 percent sure you have a stuck float.
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try that jr, thanks.

I went out this A.M. after looking at the pics linking the Rochester carb, found it did not say Rochester though it does look similar.

What I saw kinda bummed me out, there is a bowtie symbol w/ Bay City inside. It is sad to think that American auto builders of today don't take enough pride in their work to put their name on it....
    A small part like that, hidden away actually in the casting,, today? you'll find chevy or ford in bold obvious places only, the dealer will put on a sticker and maybe a plastic license plate frame, all just cheap advertisement. Only on a performance part might you find that today, nothing that would be in the doghouse of a stock, dime a dozen work van hiding under an air cleaner.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see if this works,

http://chevygmcvans.com/bb2/download...4233&mode=view

I posted a thread in another astrosafari forum I belong to that very recently expanded to full size Chevy GMC where the pics are working.

a link to the thread, I'm hoping I am not breaking too many rules here.

http://chevygmcvans.com/bb2/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=10835

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does look like a Rochester Monojet. BTW - Bay City is the city in Michigan that a Chevrolet automobile parts manufacturing facility is located.

Last definitive piece of info would be the number stamped on the side of the carb. It is located where the fuel line comes in, between the side of the carb and the doghouse side. A small mirror like a dental mirror helps to locate it.

If it is the original carb the # may be 7029007.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Googled and ordered a rebuild kit from quadrajetparts.com.
    Now all I need to do is learn how to rebuild a carb....
    Now I'm not too concerned about opening up the carb to see that float. Maybe a little carb cleaner and an artists brush will be all I need.

Thanks again Mark
    Last edited by WoodButcher; 03-08-2021 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rebuilding is a good options

Quote Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
    Googled and ordered a rebuild kit from quadrajetparts.com.
    Now all I need to do is learn how to rebuild a carb....
    Now I'm not too concerned about opening up the carb to see that float. Maybe a little carb cleaner and an artists brush will be all I need.

Thanks again Mark
    I ordered a carb on EPAY that the seller said would fit, didn't, then was a hassle and cost me to return it. Linkages would need to be altered to make it work. My mechanic did a rebuild kit and the van runs sweet now.
    1966 G10 No Door with 250, 3 on the tree
    1964 Impala SS with 327 and Powerslide
    1949 Dodge Deluxe Fluid Drive
    1984 LeBaron Convertable

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After ordering the rebuild kit knowing I have parts on the way I followed jr's tip. I was able to crack it open and unstick the float, visual inspection tells me the float floats but I was unable to remove it w/o tearing the gasket. Put it back together and she fired right off. When I have the kit in hand and don't need the van I'll tear into it. I'm in the process of an oil pan gasket on my '93 so the '69 is needed now for daily duty.

Yeah Shawn, I played a similar game w/ my '93 safari, the 350 swap. I got a 2" bore Holley TBI but the throttle linkage was wrong. Linkage vs cable and cam. I cobbled the old and new and it worked fine for a while, the added air/fuel din't please the computer so I needed to find another stock TBI and rebuild it to get back to where I was... Lesson learned. We don't get a degree in this school but damn the tuition is steep.

Thanks all!!!

User Tag List