• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eds 68 Chevy Van
    New Guy
    • Mar 2011

Spindle question

So I've owned this 1968 GMC Handivan since 1997. Finally decided to build my van my way in 2016. I took over 5000 photos and I finally finished it. I just have one big problem. My drivers side spindle spun the inner bearing and completely wore down the spindle so the inner bearing won't tighten. So basically the spindle is junk. What are the solutions for this? I know only 1964-1970 chevy gmc G10 and G1500 vans made these knuckle/spindles and they are very hard to find if not impossible. Anyone have any suggestions/ideas on what I could do?. Anyone know where I can get one?...Or can I get the old spindle removed from my knuckle,buy a Chevelle or Camaro spindle,have that removed from the knuckle,and install it in my knuckle since the Chevelle and Camaro spindle,hub and bearings are the same size?.The spindles seem like they are pressed in and wielded.Like they could be removed and replaced somehow. I would think there would be a place somewhere near me that would do this kind of thing...or not?

Thanks
  • tinlizard
    Certifiable Vanatic
    • Mar 2004

I had the same problem several years ago - like 1981. The temporary solution was to dimple the spindle liberally with a center punch, maybe a hundred hits, and then mount the bearing with a generous slathering of LocTite. Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution.

Comment

• van-itti
      VCVC Member
      • Jan 2008

Welcome Ed!

Maybe if you ask real nice someone might have one to sell you.
      Check your messages.
      Mike

Comment

• Eds 68 Chevy Van
        New Guy
        • Mar 2011

Tinlizard I get what your saying. My spindle is to far gone to do that. Thanks anyway bud.

Comment

• panelmanrd
          VCVC Member
          • Oct 2009

Don?t have any spindles, but have some info, all the 64/70 1/2 ton vans use the same spindle, I have one of each on my 69.
          54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
          64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
          69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

Comment

• tinlizard
            Certifiable Vanatic
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Eds 68 Chevy Van View Post
            Or can I get the old spindle removed from my knuckle,buy a Chevelle or Camaro spindle,have that removed from the knuckle,and install it in my knuckle?.
            Anything's possible. But before going to that extreme you could look for a shop that could build up the worn area with weld, then turn and grind it back to size. I had that done to a pto shaft on one of my tractors. Of course that was a simple straight shaft with splines on each end - easy to turn on a lathe. The complete steering knuckle would be somewhat more cumbersome, but still doable. But, really, somebody here has your part.

Comment

• CanVanMan
              New Guy
              • Nov 2011

On the same subject, If I may?

I have a 64 G10 front solid I beam runs under the front of the van, attaches to the leafs bla bla

The front spindles are stock and as far as i've been able to find, only accommodate a 5 lug brake Disc/rotor.

I'd like to upgrade this to a 6 lug rotor (to match the rear wheels) My question is, can someone offer or direct me to where I can find
              A- a 6 lug rotor that'll fit my stock spindles
              Or
              B - a spindle swap, that'll accommodate a 6 lug rotor

Thank you

Comment

• Vanner68
                VCVC Charter Member
                • May 2000

Originally posted by CanVanMan View Post
                On the same subject, If I may?

I have a 64 G10 front solid I beam runs under the front of the van, attaches to the leafs bla bla

The front spindles are stock and as far as i've been able to find, only accommodate a 5 lug brake Disc/rotor.

I'd like to upgrade this to a 6 lug rotor (to match the rear wheels) My question is, can someone offer or direct me to where I can find
                A- a 6 lug rotor that'll fit my stock spindles
                Or
                B - a spindle swap, that'll accommodate a 6 lug rotor

Thank you
                The spindles are different for the 6 lug, only way to go 6 lug is replace the entire front axle. No other vehicle shares front end parts with our vans.
                Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

• Lebster
                  New Guy
                  • May 2019

Spindle fix

Just had the spindle on my G20 welded with Alum Nickle Bronze. Chucked it between centers and turned it to size. Definitely repairable.

Lebster

Comment

• tinlizard
                    Certifiable Vanatic
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Vanner68 View Post
                    The spindles are different for the 6 lug, only way to go 6 lug is replace the entire front axle. No other vehicle shares front end parts with our vans.
                    Is the actual axle beam different on the 3/4 ton (6 lug) from the 1/2 ton (5 lug) vans? Maybe you (CanVanMan) could just swap out the steering knuckle/spindle assemblies and send one of your take-offs to Ed.

Comment

• Vanner68
                      VCVC Charter Member
                      • May 2000

Originally posted by tinlizard View Post
                      Is the actual axle beam different on the 3/4 ton (6 lug) from the 1/2 ton (5 lug) vans? Maybe you (CanVanMan) could just swap out the steering knuckle/spindle assemblies and send one of your take-offs to Ed.
                      The king pin kits are two different part numbers, G20 uses a larger pin. So, I would say the beam is different.

Rare parts G20 kingpin set part # RP30445

Rare parts G10 kingpin set part # RP30418

Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

• tinlizard
                        Certifiable Vanatic
                        • Mar 2004

Seems like it. Although I suppose different bushings might accommodate 2 different king pin diameters in the same hole. But I recall the G10 bushings are only about 1/16" wall thickness. Not much meat for reaming for a bigger pin. Or maybe the G20 has the same beam forging, just with a bigger hole. Good grief; i have lost track of what we're trying to accomplish.
                        Last edited by tinlizard; 04-22-2021, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X