Thread: My dream has come true

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dream has come true

I like Vintage Chevy Vans because I really liked the two VW campers I've owned except for the engines, replaced three VW engines and the last one I sold needed another. I have been fond of early G10's since high school partying in a friends. So I thought I'd turn the Chevy into a Westfalia with camper stuff and pop-up roof. My attempt at that was not successful because fiberglassing beat me. And it did not look the way I thought it would. So sold it and bought my third 1069 Chevy Van that was 4WD, needed an engine. Well it needed way more than an engine. It now has a complete overhaul/replacement of everything drive train and suspension/steering/brakes related, and it runs fantastic!
    In my younger years my home town, (Modesto, CA) was a car and "race each other" town and that was my high school culture. I did not have a car to be proud of in high school but I cruised with many friends who did. I got a 68 Barracuda while in the Army but that 318 was gutless. So I have a need for speed, thus my handle here is "Not a Vette" because selfishly I would like to own a vette to go fast in. Instead I get a people hauler van?
    The new drivetrain is out of an 2007 Cadillac Escalade. It is a 6.2 Aluminum Block LS3 in front of a 6L80E Trans and NP205 Transfer case. 400+ HP and 6-gears. My need for speed has been met. It is a good drag racer. So what I got now checks many more items than a vette ever could. My G20 can be a pickup truck, a racecar, a 60's muscle car, a camper and 4WD trail vehicle. I get many "thumbs-up hang loose, and peace signs" from head on traffic and peds.
    My dream has come true relative to my vehicle. My dream has come true for my life, but that's another story not relative here. You all share my affection for early Chevy vans so I wanted to share my thrill with you.
    If pictures were working, I'd post a few
    Sitting on top of the wheel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing! So cool when you find what youre looking for in life.

Two best days for a vette owner?
    The day they buy it and the day they sell it.

Not much room for a bed either...
    Mike

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Vette View Post
    If pictures were working, I'd post a few
    If pictures were working, we'd ALL post a few! VCVC2 has been revisited :>(

Thanks for sharing your story Not a Vette.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
    1969 G20 Shell

Certifiable Vanatic Leroy Jackson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My G20 is faster.

But not prettier, nor safer.

In fact it's a death trap...6.3 liter SBC, fuel injection, 7lbs of boost, 550hp build, but never dyno'd. 4L80E, tru-trac posi, all leaf springs, all drum brakes, mechanical steering and non-boosted brakes.

The fuel injection and the blower actually calmed the motor down and make it quite street-able. No need for a super lumpy cam and it idles great at 10 in/hc. 750rpm.

A blip of the throttle though - and it all changes fast. Runs like a raped ape. Violent, loud and fast. It's a white knuckle ride all the way to home depot. The downside is the spot welds are working loose as chassis flexes too much. These vans were not designed for higher horsepower use.

The upside is the wife never wants to use it!
    The Raped Ape
    1970 G-20 Krylon black
    Swing up cargo doors
    Supercharged 383
    4L80E transmission
    Detroit trutrac rear limited slip

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First car show with an entry

Last two days there was a car show in Sonora Ca. First time I attended a car show with a vehicle to show. The van was a hit! So many people expressed how cool they thought it was, (I agree). Also used the van to pick up a load of rocks and to take some junk to the dump. Life is sweet...
    Sitting on top of the wheel

User Tag List