Thread: Hello! Newbie 67 Sportsvan90

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello! Newbie 67 Sportsvan90

I wanted to finally introduce myself, I have been so excited that I can be apart of the van community!!! I have been a guest here reading and learning until I could finally get my girl. Well, I got her July 31st!

Right now we are cleaning her up and getting her ready to bring back to life. We rescued her from a junk yard here in Idaho and right after we got her home we started the engine up but she started very reluctantly because she has a giant hole in the block. We may be getting a parts van this weekend so we can keep the original 230 and other miscellaneous parts, I'll make sure I offer up what I don't need afterwards for anyone that might need something. I really want to learn 3 on the tree and what better way than to learn on my very own first van! I've named her boots since she is going to need a new pair of boots. This is my first project of this kind, and I have help from the hubs, but this is my van and my project so I feel like a student again learning and researching everything related to my new to me van and making decisions that he normally would just make. Kind of a strange feeling to be in charge of a restore project.

Here are some pics that I have gotten so far. https://www.uniqueandforgotten.com/boots/

I am excited to get her on the road and then slowly make her shine. I love her inconsistencies and imperfect parts - well for now.

I have two questions, if you don't mind.

First, I have a relocated battery, it's behind the driver seat. What would the benefit or reason to relocate it? It doesn't bother me, I just want to learn as much as I can.

Second, the panel that is on the side wall above the original battery location, that I have now dubbed the secret room - what is this for? I was disappointed it wasn't full of money when I opened it, but again just wondering why this is there and what it was used for.

Glad to be here! If you have any parts for a 67 let me know, I am started from scratch so I might need them
    Last edited by amorris; 08-13-2021 at 02:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome!

Welcome to VCVC. We will make sure you are a part and not apart of the van community. lol!

The battery behind the drivers seat is a sign your van may have had a fold out step.??
    or the battery support is gone...

That "void" is a good place to stash tools or whatever...
    Last edited by van-itti; 08-04-2021 at 04:02 PM.
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by van-itti View Post
    Welcome to VCVC. We will make sure you are a part and not apart of the van community. lol!

The battery behind the drivers seat is a sign your van may have had a fold out step.??
    or the battery support is gone...

That "void" is a good place to stash tools or whatever...

Ah! Yes, a part

Thank you!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to VCVC
    The "void " is to get to bottom hinge bolt.
    67 has some 1 year Only parts,
    & a mix of leftover 1st gen parts in a 2ng gen body
    Tom

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the site amorris

Nice buy!! I tried to buy that very van about 6 or 7 years ago when it was in a parts yard. But the online seller would not tell me where it was or let me go see unless I sent him full payment first. That clearly was not a purchase agreement I was going to accept so I had to move on to a 68, 90" I got out of Colorado.

I see the original battery door on the right floor and no signs of the retractable door step. That is a genuine second gen battery box behind the drivers seat which is rare to have both. I know this van had a somewhat camperised interior so I presume the second battery was added (behind the driver seat) for the camper electrical items.

You have both front turn signal lenses. awsome!, they are one of a kind to this van. If you plan to substitute, keep those lenses safe because they are very hard to find and will sell fast.

Good to see your right at it also, enjoy

M1D
    Last edited by m1dadio; 08-04-2021 at 10:48 PM.
    Don't ask me!! I'm still stuck on "who am I?" and "What do I want?"

1965 G10 all window "ChevyVan" with 1988 305 Tuned port injection V8, 700R4, 1980 10 bolt posi.
    1968 G10 "sportVan Custom" under construction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome!

Welcome to the site and to the 67 club, lol.
    Enjoy your build, p.s. I really like the patina 👍
    Cruzbox

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard.

That looks like a great van to start with. I was just in Idaho visiting. Next time I'm in the area, maybe I can stop by and check it out.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
    1969 G20 Shell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1dadio View Post
    Welcome to the site amorris

Nice buy!! I tried to buy that very van about 6 or 7 years ago when it was in a parts yard. But the online seller would not tell me where it was or let me go see unless I sent him full payment first. That clearly was not a purchase agreement I was going to accept so I had to move on to a 68, 90" I got out of Colorado.

I see the original battery door on the right floor and no signs of the retractable door step. That is a genuine second gen battery box behind the drivers seat which is rare to have both. I know this van had a somewhat camperised interior so I presume the second battery was added (behind the driver seat) for the camper electrical items.

You have both front turn signal lenses. awsome!, they are one of a kind to this van. If you plan to substitute, keep those lenses safe because they are very hard to find and will sell fast.

Good to see your right at it also, enjoy

M1D

That is just bonkers! It was still in the junk yard because that's were we pulled it out of. For future reference that is the L&L Classic Auto in Wendell, ID. Good call on the broker, he's priced higher than what I was able to get just talking face to face with the manager, but not by much. They have a few more out there and it's only a short afternoon drive out there, plus we were able to get a good repour going with the manager, so if you ever see anything or want me to go look and get pics/video for you, let me know; I'd be happy to do it. I think we are planning on going down anyways around the 21st, so perhaps I can just video what else we find for whomever might need it.

It did have that bed area in the back, which now I am so grateful for because the sheet metal has zero signs of rust. I was sure when we dug into it we were going to find that it had gotten through and made a mess because there was that vent in the roof that is missing. Luckily!, there is just a nice solid floor. I think you might be on to something with the second battery and the camping theory. I think that is a good enough for me on why it was put there, thank you! I love that you know this van, I will do my best to make you proud and I promise not to toss anything!!

Aubrey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 108VanGuy View Post
    That looks like a great van to start with. I was just in Idaho visiting. Next time I'm in the area, maybe I can stop by and check it out.
    108VanGuy...
    We'd love that, just let me know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzbox View Post
    Welcome to the site and to the 67 club, lol.
    Enjoy your build, p.s. I really like the patina 👍
    Cruzbox

Thank you! I love it too! It's the perfect amount to avoid rushing out and getting her sprayed right away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGE View Post
    Welcome to VCVC
    The "void " is to get to bottom hinge bolt.

Thank you! I just learned that today but I am so happy you confirmed that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGE View Post
    It makes sense why parts are so hard to match up. I have been going back an fourth between the two generations trying to find part number to match them up with the passenger and small truck lines but some seem older generation and some seem newer (well, like 1970s newer ). It has been a researching utopia. I love how much I am forced to learn and research on this van. I really appreciate this info, the more I learn the better I will know my van.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was Just There

Quote Originally Posted by amorris View Post
    For future reference that is the L&L Classic Auto in Wendell, ID. Aubrey
    That's the place I posted about recently. Wish I could post up some of the pics I took.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
    1969 G20 Shell

User Tag List